back to article Google teaches Chrome Canary to sing when it sniffs dodgy downloads

Google has equipped its experimental "Canary" distribution of the Chrome web browser with a malware-spotting capability to protect users from malicious downloads. The security upgrade was announced by Google on Thursday and means the browser will scan downloaded executable files for the presence of viruses and Trojans, and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Thanks Google

<u>Now</u> will you stop distributing Chrome like it was Malware? You know: the pre-ticked install of unwanted, itrrelevant and unwanted software that you get with things like Adobe reader, Flash player, Java and other updates.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Thanks Google

Finally caught up with Internet Explorer in having the ability to detect malware then. I see Chrome's market share shrunk again last month...And that the new IE (11) is faster than Chrome again....

1. Mad Chaz

I wonder if it'll be as bad as the IE one where it lets commonly downloaded malware like regcleanpro pass by without saying a word, but then claims files downloaded to fix infections, like adwcleaner or combofix, are malware because they don't get downloaded as often?

2. SuccessCase

If Google are scanning for malware, are they also scanning the download to determine more information about you? Do they do so when you are logged in to a website? Do they promise not to refer to information gained in such a way if, for example, you go for a job interview at Google?

Until there very clear answers to each of these questions, I won't be touching Chrome with the proverbial barge-pole. So that means I won't be touching Chrome, probably ever.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Obig - I'm sorry Dave I can't let you do that!

Says the message on the screen when Dave tries to D/L

- Anything from MS

- Anything from Apple

- Anything related to Linux

etc

etc

etc

Then it 'recommends' an alternative Google Product (no doubt full of Ads and Spyware itself)

3. Zacherynuk
    Meh

So now we can add 'not being able to download things' to:

Not being able to select text very quickly.

Not being able to scroll pages with flash / JS very quickly

Have pages playing flash video, eg Youtube, stutter when other flash or HTML5 pages are loaded

Have volume controls behave weirdly in Youtube (eg, always start muted or unable to change volume)

It worked really well ~v11/12 now it's as bloaty and shit as IE, but slower in many cases. I suppose the built in roaming bookmarks are a good idea.... unless Google use them for analytics of course (do they, do you think?) Fresh installs work for a few days...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I guess I'm fortunate to have none of these problems with Chrome

1. Anonymous Coward
        Windows

Ditto..

I too have none of these problem with Chrome...

Because I refuse to use it. Spyware detecting malware, there's a new one for you...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like