Feeds

back to article Spare external hard drives gathering dust? Share your stuff with fellow cloud fear types

California-based Connected Data’s Transporter, which turns an external disk into a private cloud for your devices, is helping you hook up with your like-minded friends. It now links to other Transporters so you can set up your own private cloud for your friends, relatives and/or business colleagues. The new capability is limited …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Daisy Chaining?

So - how many usb sticks/drives can you daisy chain into it? (I assume there's a limit), and would it list them individually or as one big drive?

Anonymous Coward

So, it's network attached storage with added cloud marketing bullshit?

Silver badge

Transporter <> cloud

No. Exactly the opposite. It is a peer-to-peer, cloud free solution, and that's the whole point. This is where distributed storage needs to go IMO, away from cloud, which is a festival of painful drawbacks. Your data will remain on your premises (es) but be potentially available everywhere, with proper security.

If it works, then it could be big, big I say...

Anonymous Coward

Nice

A tunnel through your firewall to all your data, thanks, but no thanks, it's for my family's eyes only.

Anonymous Coward

Eh?

So how does this differ from my Pogoplug that I have been using for, like forever?

Anonymous Coward

Re: Eh?

There was an interview with the Drobo/Transporter guy on Speaking in Tech back in April-ish that explained the difference... weirdly, I woke up drunk on the train not two nights ago to it auto-playing in my ears...

Anonymous Coward

Re: Eh?

Here is a product no one needs.

This topic is closed for new posts.