Feeds

back to article Cinnamon Desktop: Breaks with GNOME, finds beefed-up Nemo

The Cinnamon Desktop project recently released version 2, a major overhaul of the desktop environment that's best known as the default option for Linux Mint's flagship release. Cinnamon 2.0 will be part of Linux Mint 16, "Petra", scheduled for release towards the end of November. The team behind Cinnamon plans to backport the 2. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Silver badge

Interesting to see the separation from Gnome

Might give it a shot on my Linux machines

Silver badge
Mushroom

Re: Interesting to see the separation from Gnome

Careful you might find yourself asking how the hell you could ever put up with your old DE (especially if its Unity).

Re: Interesting to see the separation from Gnome

I like Unity better than Cinnamon, but I install nemo ever since files/nautilus dropped compact view. Yay for having options.

Bronze badge

file type reassignment?

> Now it's simple to say, for instance, always open text files in GEdit (or Sublime or whichever app you prefer).

Is it also simple to change the file type association afterwards? This is where some desktops with similar feature (Windows included) have failed badly: reassignment is buried somewhere deep, or possible only by hacking a configuration file.

Anonymous Coward

Re: file type reassignment?

It's been a quick step in Gnome for a while now, open the properties of a file of the type you wish to change and there is an "Open With" tab where you can (re)set a default.

First, let me say I'm a Mint user (though I haven't tried Cinnamon 2.0 yet - I'll probably wait the next LTS release before I upgrade as I'm happy with Cinnamon 1.8 on Mint 14). But I can't let that criticism of Windows pass - changing file associations on Windows isn't hard. Right click->Open With... find the desired application and tick the "Always use selected program" option.

Anonymous Coward

Open with.. is not always there. The only choice is open (with whatever is already assigned). What do you do in those situations?

Press shift at the same time as right click and it will appear. plus some other options.

(from memory not used a win box in anger for nearly 5yrs)

Bronze badge

(from memory not used a win box in anger for nearly 5yrs)

A wise decision.

Bronze badge

Shift + right-click on a file in Windows still shows "Open With" in Windows 8.1 whereas shift + right-click on a folder gives very handy shortcuts such as opening a command window as it has since about WIndows 7 and possibly Vista.

Silver badge

In other words, it is exactly the same as in Windows, which is not anything like as difficult as how the grandparent poster describes it.

Anonymous Coward

Use the assoc and ftype commands in a Command Prompt window typically does it for me with no fuss.

Bronze badge

OK, OK, maybe I was thinking of some past Windows version or something. The hint about a command line interface for associations was news to me. I usually prefer command line anyway, these newfangled GUIs are too hard ...

Just the job

This reinforces my decision to drop Ubuntu and switch to Mint following Mark Shuttlecock's [sic] decision to lead his distro down paths few wish to follow.

[sic]

Thank goodness for the [sic] tag; for a second there, I thought it was a genuine spelling error.

Re: Just the job

I used to use Ubuntu, until I installed that first version with Unity, I then spent the next few minutes trying to figure out what I must have down wrong to screw up the GUI. I quickly discovered that it wasn't anything I had done, it was that some "decider" somewhere had decided that they didn't want me as a user anymore by trying to force that horrible GUI on me.

Been using Mint ever since (XFCE though). Come join us.

Bronze badge

Re: trying to force that horrible GUI on me

If they were trying to force it on you I don't think they would have made it quite so easy to use Classic Gnome instead.

Anonymous Coward

Edge Snapping == Fail

That is the first thing I'd disable. Why should the frigging computer get to decide where I want to put MY application windows?

Typical of the dumbing down introduced by MS and slavishly copied elsewhere without giving it a modicum of thought as to its usefulness. If you can't disable it then I'll never ever use it.

Re: Edge Snapping == Fail

I find it a nice useful feature in KDE to be honest.

You've completely missed the point of the feature.

Anonymous Coward

"Typical of the dumbing down introduced by Apple and slavishly copied elsewhere without giving it a modicum of thought as to its usefulness"

FFY.

Silver badge

Dunno why so many downvotes. Edge snapping has only ever annoyed me, and that's since way before the Xbox.

Side by side comparisons? What's wrong with putting the two windows.. err... side by side?

(Or top and bottom, or one corner and t'other, or pretty much wherever you like, and not have to be careful not to move the windows a modicum in the wrong direction and OH FOR FUCK'S SAKE...)

You can turn it off if you want. But I find it unbelievably helpful to be able to put two documents side by side with a Win-Left, Alt-Tab, Win-Right. All my screen is instantly used for exactly what I want to use it for and no fiddling around finding the hover spots to resize the windows.

When I tried Mint last a few weeks ago it was ctrl+super+left/right, and the additional key was a minor annoyance, but nowhere near as annoying as finding the finickier-than-in-Windows edge spots for resizing.

Silver badge

Mavericks doesn't do edge snapping, and I don't remember it any previous version either. I've used Tiger, Snow Leopard and Mountain Lion.

Silver badge

"no fiddling around finding the hover spots to resize the windows."

Hold down alt and right click and drag. No need for hover spots for resize; left click to move.

Silver badge

Xbox one inspired??

Wow is the Xbox one 20 odd years old then? I seem to remember these features in something like an early XFCE running on a 386.

I seem to remember not wanting them then..

Bronze badge

Re: Xbox one inspired??

I have to agree with you Tom. Anyone who has used multiple desktops over the last 15 years would of just put these "new" features in a bullet list, nothing else. The fact the author did the exact opposite tells much about their exposure. While the XBOX tie in reveals the authors age, I don't think the author is even old enough to know that you NEVER relate a Microsoft product directly to Linux, no matter if it is valid or not! :-) Mmmm, Fresh Meat!

"Cinnamon 2.0 will no doubt be a big selling point for Linux Mint 16 when it does arrive."

Really? Then KDE should be the market killer for Mint! Is Mint really this far behind on features?

XBOX SNAP ! SNAP ! XBOX SNAP !

Silver badge

>Then KDE should be the market killer for Mint!

I assume you mean Cinnamon as of course there is a Mint KDE (and Mate and XFCE) version as well. [Holy War Alert:] That said KDE has always been bloated and often times the snappiness of the DE along with the ease of workflows needed to get shit done with it are of more value to many than a bazillion unused features or an entire software ecosystem pretending to be a DE. But at least with *nix each can have his own.

Anonymous Coward

No, I mean KDE. If anyone believes Cinnamon is going to "be a big selling point for Linux Mint 16" then why the hell not choose a desktop that already has these features?

Let's say KDE is bloated because it refuses to be stuck in 1999. Well, what does that say about Cinnamon which has obviously left 1999 and coming up to times like KDE? I guess there will just be too many options for people at some point and they will have to abandoned it to find another 1999 desktop.

"...an entire software ecosystem pretending to be a DE."

I assume you imply this since some people don't understand you don't have to install EVERYTHING like a check box monkey. Of course, it does have everything.

Bronze badge

Why did my last post just post AC? I have NEVER checked that button. Even when I went to edit, it wasn't even checked, yet it retains AC status......?

Silver badge

>Let's say KDE is bloated because it refuses to be stuck in 1999.

So you need bloaty to be modern because bloat is the future, ah ok. I think you need to also put Win98 in a VM and see what DE in 1999 really looked like. Even LXDE from five years ago is far more modern and functional.

>some people don't understand you don't have to install EVERYTHING like a check box monkey.

Yes yes of course. Still I find the phrase bare bones KDE to be rather amusing. To each his own. Lot of people swear by KDE even through its FUBAR phase. At least the devs listened to the users eventually unlike the clueless Gnome people as of late.

Bronze badge

What's the obsession with Xbox One?

Snapping came in with Windows 7. And @AC 10:48 you don't have to use it (in Windows), but for some stuff (e.g. side-by-side comparisons) you'd be a fool not to.

Bronze badge

Re: What's the obsession with Xbox One?

Had it in KDE long before Win 7 came out.

Cheers

Jon

"Had it in KDE long before Win 7 came out."

GNOME has had a variation on it for a while too - so that's at least three window managers across two operating systems... not sure which bit is supposed to be new.

Pint

You beat me to it, Mandriva and KDE had it a while ago, long before vista and win7 "came up with the idea"

Cinnamon has had automatic tiling/snapping for ages too. The specific "new" features here (I have no idea of their uniqueness, but they are new to Cinnamon) are;

- The ability to resize snapped windows - ie if a window is dragged to the edge it will automatically take up half the screen, but you can then resize it while retaining it's "snappedness". Win 7 behaves like this, Cinnamon didn't.

- You can have a window snapped to one edge, and then other windows can't be dragged on top of it and won't maximise on top of it. I haven't seen this feature in Windows (no doubt there's add-ons which enable it).

@ Richard 22

Thanks, that makes a bit more sense now.

Bronze badge

> I haven't seen this feature in Windows

Windows 8 metro apps can be snapped to one edge and the legacy software (=non-metro) work just as like you describe. Desktop area is reduced accordingly and no window can be moved or maximised over the metro app.

Bronze badge

"I haven't seen this feature in Windows"

This is far from unique., maybe farther than the rest listed here.

KDE has it, but via the "always on top"/focus button that can be assigned to any window. I use tiling and focus daily. I still like to run my shell and editor separately, so I can keep the editor on top at all times. What is nice about the focus button is that if 2 are both enabled, they behave like normal windows, but all other windows will remain on the bottom. When tiling, this has beneficial effects not immediately noticeable.

Of course this isn't unique to KDE, I remember using focus in windows 95 (might of had to use "Blinds"). Also, for some reason I remember using it on MAC before that, can't be sure, but I think OS 5 had it.

Bronze badge

I gave it a quick go

On my Ubuntu 12.04 machine, which isn't exactly a graphical workhorse and I had a few issues with the graphics lagging and tearing in a way that Mate doesn't at the moment.

Keyboard shortcuts refused to work too, which was the main reason I quickly logged back out and into Mate.

I do like the edge snapping though, it's one of the better features in Win 7 (using meta+arrow is quite nice) and while I'm sure KDE had it first, I've never been much of a fan of KDE. Still I like it enough that I think it'll go on my 13.10 install at home, where I've got the graphics card to power it.

Bronze badge

May have to give it a go on my Kubuntu (virtual) box, especially after KDE has gone wonky and I don't have time to figure out what happened.

Anonymous Coward

Ahhhhhhhh Gnome !

Was never keen on Gnome, always been KDE for me.

IMHO KDE is the best power desktop bar none.

Bronze badge

Mint user

I've been using Mint full-time now for just under a year and it's pretty good. Much better than when I last tried running a Linux desktop distro on my laptop (3 years ago). There's a few things that need adding though to maximise its appeal...

1) Desktop icon alignment in columns AND rows (Nemo)

2) Easier configuration of desktop icon and font size (Nemo)

3) Keyboard control of the favourites panel in the Cinnamon menu

CUT to the CHASE - leave "ubu" join MINT

mint has been the order of the day for a while now.

Ubuntu lost it's way.

C'mon and join us ..

(btw nemo has issues - run nightly and you'll see it no longer has mem issues).

Happy

Re: CUT to the CHASE - leave "ubu" join MINT

Well the article does say that Cinnamon is becoming distro agnostic. So you can use Cinnamon and keep Ubuntu. Seeing Mint is son of Ubuntu anyway, choosing Mint does not imply leaving Ubuntu. From my point of view I dislike Ubuntu, but if Mint had the Unity desktop I would download and install it immediately.

Silver badge
Linux

That last version of Mint I tried clearly seemed to be still an Ubuntu derivative. So it hardly seems to be a compelling refuge from Ubuntu. Seems like you have to go clear back to Debian for that.

Silver badge

>Seems like you have to go clear back to Debian for that.

Or just run LMDE which is basically a thin mint wrapper on top of Debian.

Silver badge

Sorry misspoke its a thin wrapper as well as a periodic snapshot of Debian testing so its more reliable but not a true rolling release distro.

Fedora has up-to-date Cinnamon

Cinnamon 2 is already available in other distributions, Fedora for example:

# rpm -qi cinnamon

Name : cinnamon

Version : 2.0.3

Release : 1.fc19

Architecture: x86_64

Install Date: Wed 23 Oct 2013 11:58:06 BST

Group : Unspecified

Size : 6762352

License : GPLv2+ and LGPLv2+

Signature : RSA/SHA256, Sat 19 Oct 2013 02:02:52 BST, Key ID 07477e65fb4b18e6

Source RPM : cinnamon-2.0.3-1.fc19.src.rpm

Build Date : Fri 18 Oct 2013 17:57:02 BST

Build Host : buildvm-16.phx2.fedoraproject.org

Relocations : (not relocatable)

Packager : Fedora Project

Vendor : Fedora Project

URL : http://cinnamon.linuxmint.com

Summary : Window management and application launching for GNOME

Description :

Cinnamon is a Linux desktop which provides advanced

innovative features and a traditional user experience.

The desktop layout is similar to Gnome 2.

The underlying technology is forked from Gnome Shell.

The emphasis is put on making users feel at home and providing

them with an easy to use and comfortable desktop experience.

Looks nice

However I have XFCE on Mint 13 LTS and it works well. I don't really want to update my DE and/or distro more often than I have a shave or haircut, despite that being pretty much de rigeur for Linux desktop users ;)

Maybe I'll give it a go when it hits the next LTS.

Choice; it's a wonderful thing.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.