back to article Cook: Apple 'so very, very proud to be a FORCE FOR GOOD'

According to CEO Tim Cook, Apple is more than the world's most highly valued company – with a market capitalization of $477.8bn as of Monday afternoon – it's also a "force for good," contributing to a wide variety of social endeavors. "We're also proud to be a force for good in the world beyond our products," said Cook during …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. cyke1

'proud to be a FORCE FOR GOOD in the world'

yet they constantly sue competition in court using completely bogus patents that should never been granted in the first place, then turn around and whine when another company uses their patents to protect them self.

2. Ted Treen
    Devil

Obviously

"...It's fashionable in some quarters to castigate Apple as The Great Satan..."

El Reg being one such quarter...

1. WhoaWhoa

Re: Obviously

"...It's fashionable in some quarters to castigate Apple as The Great Satan..."

It's fashionable in some quarters to worship Apple as the Great Messiah.

I've never liked those sort of coffee shop quarters, with their superficiality of contents, the beverage and glow-slab acolyte kind, both sugary imitations of the real thing.

3. ecofeco Silver badge

A force for good!

The good of Apple.

4. MrDamage Silver badge

A force for good?

I'm sure those poor, overworked people who took a swan dive from Foxconn's roof are glad to hear that.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: A force for good?

That is what makes it such a blatant lie. Nobody running Chinese labor should ever consider themselves a force for good. Now a force for good marketing bullshit, sure O.K.

Apples still sucks, thanks for the confirmation Cook.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: A force for good?

So please point out which companies that employ no Chinese labor (or labor in other low wage countries) that should be held out as "forces for good" under your definition? I hope you weren't planning to mention Microsoft, Nokia, Google, Samsung, Cisco, Sony, IBM or any number of other companies which also employ Chinese labor for some of their own production?

1. returnmyjedi

They're not the ones spouting guff about being a force for good.

1. Mike Moyle

@ returnmyjedi

"They're not the ones spouting guff about being a force for good."

...e-r-r-r-r... maybe... maybe not...

http://investor.google.com/corporate/code-of-conduct.html

Sorta depends on how you define it, really...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

" MyBackDoor" = "arsehole"

Is that correctly understood?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Hating America Is A Crime !

6. Big-nosed Pengie

Better

Better get a bucket. I'm gonna be sick.

7. zimblade
    Unhappy

Apple a place for good "good what"

I also wish foxconn would burn to the ground and free Apples slaves the two faced lying bastards

I do not own a apple product and will never own one while Apple keeps using FOXCONN

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Apple a place for good "good what"

China has raised 00's millions of people out of poverty into middle class. People working at Foxconn amongst them. This is how industrialisation and economics works. Almost everyone is better off.

Bleating about Foxconn makes you look like an ignorant fool

1. Potemkine Silver badge

Yeah, these women and children working 60 hours a week paid $1.5/hour, packed in crowded dorms at night, frequent victims of work accidents and so despaired there are many suicides should be so grateful to the great capitalistic system that enables them not to starve. Hail to economics, when giving somebody just enough not to starve is seen as the ultimate progress, as long as we westerners can enjoy iThingsTM we pay 5 times the cost of production, making Apple the richest company in the process.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"China has raised 00's millions of people out of poverty into middle class"

And I've personally given 0's of trillions of people £1,000,000 each. WooHoo, I should be knighted for sure.

2. Tim99 Silver badge
      Childcatcher

I also wish foxconn would burn to the ground and free Apples slaves the two faced lying bastards

I do not own a apple product and will never own one while Apple keeps using FOXCONN

So you don't own products made by Foxconn for these companies either?

Acer, Amazon.com, Cisco, Dell, Google, Hewlett-Packard, Microsoft, Motorola Mobility, Nintendo, Nokia, Sony, Toshiba, and Vizio. (Wikipedia)

Perhaps all of your electronic kit is made by that paragon of best practice Samsung?

8. Christian Berger

Objectivism

He follows the teachings of Any Rand. Her "Objectivism" "philosophy" essentially states that if we all act greedy and selfish, it would be best for the whole society. This of course can be trivially proven wrong as I did here: http://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/1/2013/02/09/metcalfe_on_ethernet/#c_1724128

However Tim Cook seems to still believe in that, that's why probably even believes his green-washing actually improves the world somehow, despite of the obvious environmental problems glued in batteries and closed boot-loaders create.

1. oolor

Re: Objectivism

Green-washing nothing, this is the next step, morality-washing.

Green and pink-washing have got nothing on this one. Before it was you did good a reason greater than yourself: the environment or disease research/treatment, now you do good by buying 'good'.

The cost: the death of better for oneself. You can no longer be better, but you can have iGoods. They're so great, they're good. And much better than wood.

/sarcasm <- because some people take these things seriously

9. Alan Denman

Bad, just bad

Stop dodging corporation taxes, you evil thrawt Tim.

10. Potemkine Silver badge
    Facepalm

'NSA approved'

'Force for good'? Yeah, right... and the marmot wraps the chocolate in tinfoil.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

All corporations are suckling on the devils teats, Apple included and any 'good' they do is simply for PR.

When America crashes and burns I would laugh my arse (UK spelling) off, but unfortunately I'll probably be forced learning Chinese by our new overlords.

Fun & Games, what...

12. jimbo60

a change?

Under Jobs, Apple pretty much stomped out all corporate philanthropy. Is this a change? Did that $65 million that Apple "raised" come from corporate coffers or did it arm twist it's minions? How about some real journalism to answer that?

13. Stretch

omg these evil scumbags.

14. Arctic fox
    Thumb Down

Excuse me while I vomit.

"We're also proud to be a force for good in the world beyond our products,"

Oh, and no, that is not my reaction just because it's Apple, I would react the same way whichever CEO from "Big Corp" had said the same.

15. Solmyr ibn Wali Barad

Lots of nasty deeds in this world have been done in the name of "good", whatever that may have been. Only time, a good amount of it, will tell whether this good is any good.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

it's a shame

that for tax purposes Bono is a greengrocer in the Netherlands and Apple are Irish.

Imagine if they put all that money they saved from tax dodging towards charity - they would probably come up with a frigging CURE for AIDS in a month.

If you want any respect or credibility as a "force for good" then pay it forward.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: it's a shame

AIDS is a virus, like the common cold. Their is not going to be a cure any time soon. A vaccine that will prevent it is likely at some point, but not a guarantee.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like