back to article Samsung patent points to hi-tech glasses project

Samsung is the latest technology giant to jump on the hi-tech spectacles bandwagon, with a patent was filed in Korea this month revealing designs for a pair of “sports glasses”. The electro-specs are hooked up to the user’s smartphone and display alerts for information running on the phone, according to the Wall Street Journal …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Tied to the phone (presumably the latest Samsung only) again. It's just a bluetooth headset with a screen.

1. LarsG

Just like the Watch, a tethered product that has no future.

2. MrXavia

I suspect it will not be Samsung compatible only, but very likely android only.

Although Samsung do have the habit of re-inventing googles products (S-Translate/S Voice) and usually imho failing to get as good quality products, I like competition and innovation, so a bluetooth headset with display would be a nice product to be out there, sure not suitable for everyone, but that is what is great about samsung, they can afford to build for a niche market..

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Are they going to go for the retro look? 1980's specs as worn by Deidre Barlow?

3. Chris G

Total connection

No matter how naff the current and near future offerings are it is clear that wearable technology is the aim of IT product developers. When we are all wearing kit that operates as a phone, PC, translator, banking connection, ID and personal tracker for 24 hours a day the will be happier.

Fill in anything I have left out.

No need for cubicles any more you will be connected to work 24/7, every one will be a walking work station with sub-vocal voice recognition the world will be walking around muttering to itself.

Utopia here we come!

4. BongoJoe

This design is of a type [of glasses] with earphones integrated, allowing [users] to take phone calls and listen to music during workouts.

What sad and pathetic lives they must think that we live if this is the sort of stuff which we aspire to be doing. If we aspire to having a lifestyle with 'workouts' then aim higher; live in the country, get a dog and go for walks. And if your aspirations are to be connected to the office 24/7 then aim higher and aspire to heave the bloody thing into a lake. But don't have the aforementioned dog fetch it.

As ChrisG above describes it; this was the reason why Sam Tyler went back to 1974.

If people think that they need to be plugged in like this then they really, really ought to wake up, get out of their houses of ticky-tacky and consider what they are doing with their lives. Get out, slow down and burn that frigging suit and consider that the phone and connected technology away from the desk is for cinema listings, restaurant reviews and not to be plugged into the Hive Mind.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Listen to music, I think someone needs to tell the marketing guy samsung phones ship with quite nice headphones as standard, so yeah I can listen to music whenever I want anyway.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

It's all about the money...

In the end it's all about the money (which they get from advertising) and not so

much about tracking everybody or making you work harder...

That's just a nice side-effect...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why would you need a screen for this?

If all it does is let you listen to music and take phone calls, and has no voice control, it seems like they just added glasses to some Bluetooth headphones to jump on Google's bandwagon, rather than actually make a product anyone wants.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like