back to article The Reg undergoes a Twitter makeover: Come join the squawk

The Register has a new official home on Twitter: @theregister. Nearly 24,000 of you already follow that account, which until earlier today was named @regvulture. But after hours of heated exchanges over cronuts and duffins, members of our scintillating Strategy Boutique team confirmed that our humble presence on Twitter …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Martin 47

OK, I will follow that account but my finger will never be far from the 'unfollow this ejit who spams my twitter feed with shite' button.

Oh and to all those who will down vote me because I like twitter I don't care. I like twitter because, used properly, it is like having your own forum populated just by people you find interesting.

Hmmmm so why am I following the register you may ask, gawd knows

1. AceRimmer
      Trollface

I think it's time to turn your Beard and Sandles in to your nearest usenet representative.

2. Ralph B

Thanks

But no thanks.

3. ukgnome
    Coat

Twatter?

isn't that what yorkshire people drink?

*It's not a coat it's Yorkshire Jacket

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Twatter?

That was such a shit joke, on every level, that you should be ashamed of yourself.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh dear... another scorched earth moment...

THE golden rule of social media is: RENAME the account if you can to avoid losing your followers.

If you can't rename it because it is owned by someone else (claiming to be you), or because you've forgtten the password, you should at least try to negotiate with the social media network to attempt to be given control over the account.

Only in the last instance do you abandon a well-followed account. Did they do the above? If not, fire your Strategy Boutique twonks.

1. Peter27x
      Facepalm

Re: Oh dear... another scorched earth moment...

It does amaze me that companies just give up on twitter accounts rather than rename them, you so often see "no longer using this account, add me here @xxxxxx".

In this case El Reg seems to have had these three accounts for a while now, all getting the same tweets, all with followers, so it's not just as easy as renaming one of them, with out abandoning lots of followers. a bit of a mess really!

Personally I don't see that @theregister has much merit over the other two @names, I suspect any search you do would get you to @regvulture if it was the only account...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Any search...

Except that is not how it panned out - and followers were signing up to @theregister at nearly the same rate as to @regvulture, even though we did no site promo for the former.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No accounts were harmed in the making of...

No scorched earth here - we renamed the accounts.

6. Euripides Pants
    Joke

Real men don't tweet

We just don't. Just like we don't ask for directions or share our feelings.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Twitter?

Meh

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like