Feeds

back to article Pop OS X Mavericks on your Mac for FREE while you have LUNCH

Apple's latest version of OS X, Mavericks, is now available at the low, low price of zero, zip, zilch. The iLife and iWorks creativity and productivity suites have also been marked down to nothing for buyers of new iOS and Mac hardware. "Today we're going to revolutionize pricing, because the days of spending hundreds of dollars …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Anonymous Coward

And now the world waits...

...for Microsoft to give away Windows and Office for nothing. It's sure to happen. Any time now...

This post has been deleted by its author

Re: And now the world waits...

I agree with you - it'll never happen.

Or at least, if it does, it'll be a huge change in Microsoft.

Every dumb decision, every stupid delay, every failure to create a new market that Microsoft has had for the past decade - they're all about extending and milking their existing Windows/Office monopolies.

So when I see small business owners I know wonder whether they should make do with a Chromebook or splash out on a Macbook Air - because in their own words "I use Google Apps and it's fine" - I can't help but see the future.

Enterprises, conservative as they are, will continue to insist on 100% Microsoft, because Microsoft is the new IBM. Nobody ever got fired for buying...

Meanwhile, in the rest of the world, their mindshare and their usage stats decline by the day.

iWorks being free is a significant milestone in that. I'm not completely sure that in the future people will look back on this and say "that's when Office really became irrelevant"... But I'm not sure I'd like the odds on a bet against it.

To bastardise Pink Floyd, "All in all, it's just another chip in the wall..."

Meanwhile, Microsoft will continue to fluff their own decisions and cripple their own products to preserve a doomed pair of monopolies.

Much like IBM before them.

Bronze badge

@Philip Storry

This is opinionated.

Truthfully, I'm shocked Apple doesn't allow their OS X to be downloaded for free and installed from a thumb drive. This isn't hard for Apple though, they really don't have a lot of software that is popular to the majority, just the niche people that work Photoshop or something along that lines (although, Adobe products run faster and just as stable on Windows 7).

Microsoft will follow suit at some point. At some point, Microsoft will just have to cave in to the almighty dollar and give it away to keep the dollars coming from other products. Their office utilities are what keep most people hanging around, and who doesn't like a free operating system? Simply, if MAC gives you the OS, they might be stealing MS office licenses some day.

Lastly, IBM didn't remain king, so why will Microsoft?

Anonymous Coward

Hardly, it's their cash cow.

Anonymous Coward

As MS recovered from this poke in the eye....

Re: But is iWork any good?

I have to admit, I've eschewed it on my Mac and gone for MS Office instead, though at current prices (even if not free to me) the iWork suite is a curiosity purchase. But is it any good? Everyone went on about how good Google Docs is. It is indeed good, if you want to write letters all day, or perhaps a little light report work (if you don't mind putting in the heading numbers manually). How well do Pages, Numbers and Keynote stack up against Excel, Word and Powerpoint (or even Google Docs)?

Silver badge

Apple are not giving anything away for free. This is an upgrade, you need to have bought it in the first place.

In the world of every other Operating System it would be called a Service Pack

Bronze badge

@Jason Hindle

The last version of iWork was adequate for most users. For the most part I personally found the interface better than Office. Cleaner, more focussed, less cluttered but I found the separate "pallete" approach to editing document/text properties annoying.

The new version, from the quick look I've had at it, looks like a steady improvement and pallets are now integrated and context sensitive.

Keynote - the least important of an office suite for most people - has always been the best of iWork, and the only app clearly in most regards better than it's Office equivalent, which is kind of the wrong way round. It would be better if they had a better version of Pages or Numbers (though if you need an equivalent of VBA for slide updates, you're out of luck).

Numers now has much improved row filtering, which is really very good and I always very much liked the multiple freeform tables being allowed on a single tab approach. But it still lacks pivot tables, which for those who use them, are an invaluable and extremely powerful business analysis tool. I might now be tempted to switch to numbers because it feels so nice to use for most tasks, and switch back to excel simply when I need pivot tables.

Pages is also much improved due to the context sensitive pallets and nice upgrades all round. I think it now moves into the important realm of being good enough and having a nicer interface, for most people. But it's not altogether better for Power Users. The key power feature I have found it lacks, are the ability to insert and track cross references. It has mail merge, but not as good. But it now supports proper footnotes and has much improved Table of Contents capability.

Of course there is no full match for VBA (AppleScript being good for system wide scripting but not as good for control over individual apps).

The web sharing and web versions of the apps however is a real "killer" feature in that it goes a long way to overcoming the problem of always having to save files in .doc or docx non-native format in case they are going to be used by anyone else. This was the main reason for my not using iWork before. The fact that is all available for free (sharing and all), the interface is nice and most of these apps are now, by some distance, good enough for most people, should really worry Microsoft who clearly have to charge for office. These web apps, especially in supporting collaborative working, (and with a nicer feature set and interface than Google Docs offers - at least last time I checked which was admittedly some time back) now have a good chance of breaking file format dependency.

Bronze badge

My bad, still no mail merge in Pages, I was also comparing with OpenOffice and confused this feature.

Bronze badge

To be fair, the OSX updates are a little more than a service pack (except for maybe SP1 for XP). Apple have been doing an incremental upgrades every year for a while now, whereas MS went for a major release every 3. How well has that been going for MS? Not many people bother to change the OS, and major shifts tend to put people off anyway, so incremental changes are probably better for keeping your customers happy. Not sure if it would convince me to buy a mac though, but cost of hardware can at least be offset a little by the comparative cost of updating the OS.

Bronze badge

Poor argument. It's only free in the same way as a Windows Service Pack is free (or Windows 8.1 is free if you have 8).

Apple's licensing means you have to run OSX on Apple hardware -it's even more restrictive than Microsoft. Even trying to run it legitimately in a VM is only allowed if the VM is on a Mac. Therefore, to get your 'free' OSX, you have to buy a Mac with OSX.

While Microsoft may have/had questionable policies regarding OEMs and Windows licensing, at least you can pick and choose your iron (or even build your own).

While I'm not a Linux or BSD fan (purely a personal preference for Windows), it does have to be said that this is the only place you can truly pick up a free OS.

Bronze badge

Yes but, would anyone bother to install Windows 8, even if it were free?

I mean besides the masochists looking for some new punishment

Besides haven't Apple-tards already pre-paid for there Software when the bought their Machines?

Besides does Apple even sell Computers anymore? Or just Computer-like Appliances?

Bronze badge

"it's even more restrictive than Microsoft."

Only if you buy a car to spend your time under the hood instead of driving it. Clearly you aren't a Mac owner so why be so bothered by it you feel the need for an unfounded put-down of someone's argument simply stating a quite valid and uncontentious opinion built on a good factual basis ? There's nothing poor about the statements in the previous comment. Read it properly and you will see it isn't even to any extent inconsistent with what you have said (you haven't demonstrated it is a poor argument at all - you're simply stating another fact that everyone knows anyway, that you have to buy a Mac to run OSX. So what?). So why the sour grapes?

Anonymous Coward

"How well do Pages, Numbers and Keynote stack up against Excel, Word and Powerpoint (or even Google Docs)?"

Pages is as good as Word.

Excel is vastly superior to Numbers.

Keynote wipes the floor with Powerpoint.

Re: Thanks

For the responses to my question. I'll give them a try (both iOS and OSX).

Anonymous Coward

Isn't this just a Service Pack for the OS? It should be free anyway. MS service packs are...

MS service packs are only free up to the point when they get renamed as new versions. Windows 7 is Vista SP3, Windows 8 = Vista SP4.

If 8.1 was called WIndows 9 instead would that justify charging for it?

8.1 is a free upgrade and has more new features than this Maverick update has for OSX. If you read about Maverick, it's more bug fixes than anything.

Anonymous Coward

I'm pretty sure Microsoft Charges for Service Packs though.

I had Windows Vista and Windows Service Pack7 and Windows Service Pack 8, they still charged for.

Stop

@Philip Storry

"Truthfully, I'm shocked Apple doesn't allow their OS X to be downloaded for free and installed from a thumb drive."

They do, you can, I did.

Re: @Philip Storry is @MyBackDoor

Pardon me, mistype.

Bronze badge

Re: And now the world waits... @ MyBackDoor

"Microsoft will just have to cave in to the almighty dollar and give it away to keep the dollars coming from other products. "

MS doesn't have any other products that make any money, apart from its enterprise software, which is only used by a relatively small number of very large companies. That's why it's got itself into this ridiculous mess with phones and fondleslabs that nobody wants.

Mountain Lion: 10.8

Mavericks: 10.9

Surely even by Apple's own naming convention, this is just a .1 update, not a "new OS"?

It's not about Microsoft

It is about aligning iOS users' experience of free OS updates and lots of free software if you buy Apple products.

It is also about eliminating 'fragmentation' of the platform because Apple only has to support one OS - if you have a problem with Mountain Lion or Lion, Apple will just tell you to install the free upgrade.

The other advantage is that older hardware will struggle with Mavericks, nudging you towards purchasing a new machine. These are all good business reasons for appearing to give away stuff for free

Bronze badge

You are still wrong. When have you got any Windows version for free?

Any macosx version that has the ability to download a new version from app store can be updated for free.

MacOSX Mavericks is more like a Windows 7 to Windows 8 update. And it is for free. The service packs like Windows 8.0 to 8.1 has always been free on MacOSX.

These are the versions of OSX that can be upgraded to the latest one, and the relative upgrade pricing between them.

10.6 (Major Release) Upgrade from 10.5.x $29

10.6.1 (SP1) Free

10.6.2 (SP2) Free

10.6.3 (SP3) Free

10.6.4 (SP4) Free

10.6.5 (SP5) Free

10.6.6 (SP6) Free

10.6.7 (SP7) Free

10.6.8 (SP8) Free

10.7 (Major Release) Upgrade from 10.6.x $29 Upgrade on USB stick $69

10.7.1 (SP1) Free

10.7.2 (SP2) Free

10.7.3 (SP3) Free

10.7.4 (SP4) Free

10.7.5 (SP5) Free

10.8 (Major Release) Upgrade from 10.7.x $19

10.8.1 (SP1) Free

10.8.2 (SP2) Free

10.8.3 (SP3) Free

10.8.4 (SP4) Free

10.8.5 (SP5) Free

10.9 (Major Release) Upgrade from 10.6-10.8 $0,00.

This is to be compared to as If you run Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7 you can upgrade to Windows 8 for free, but not if you run a earlier version of Windows. In a time line it's not comparable, but release wise it is.

Go here to find out more:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OS_X

The 10 in each version represents the X in the name Mac OS X, where it's represented as a roman 10.

Bronze badge

@ coward

Isn't this just a Service Pack for the OS?

Nope it's not

Errr, in the same Windows 7 was called a service for Windows Vista....oh wait...no it wasn't was it!

Bronze badge

@NightFox

"Mountain Lion: 10.8

Surely even by Apple's own naming convention, this is just a .1 update, not a "new OS"?"

Yes, just as Windows still is Windows whether it is Windows 95 or Windows 8.

The OS on the Mac has the name Mac OS X, that X is a roman 10. There are totally 10 major versions of Mac OS X.

They range from 10.0 to 10.9, all except 10.9 has gotten a number of service packs. Update from 0 to 1 was free. Updates between 1 and 8 has had a price tag. Version 9 is free if you run any from version 6-8.

Bronze badge

Re: And now the world waits... @ Michael Habel

Yes but, would anyone bother to install Windows 8, even if it were free?

I for one, would install win8 on my ageing win XP laptop, if I were given it for free. After all, there's always classic shell. TBH I'm kind of hoping MS give us a whacking great discount for XP -> 8. It would mostly solve both problems of poor win 8 uptake and lingering XP installs.

Silver badge
Thumb Down

@Velv

There's always one...

The fact that those still on Snow Leopard can download Mavericks free - skipping the paid upgrades to Lion & Mountain Lion - seems to have escaped you. I suppose you thought the move from Windows 3.1.1 to Windows 7 was simply a service pack...

Sophistry & bile exemplified.

Silver badge
WTF?

Re: @Velv @Ted Treen

A lot more can happen in the 17 years between Windows 3.1 (April 1992) and Windows 7 (October 2009) than in the 4 years between Snow Leopard (August 2009) and Mavericks (October 2013), so a somewhat facetious comparison there!

Spot on description.

Such an uninformed comment hardly warrant a response but I am in charitable mood so here are just 10 of them.

Tabbed Finder windows

File tags

AirPlay display

iCloud Keychain

In-notification replies

Safari bookmarks sidebar

Shared browser links

Driving directions for iOS

Map integration in Calendar

Automatic app updates

Re: And now the world waits... @ Michael Habel

I would bite if it was XP to 8.1

8 really should have been called Beta

Anonymous Coward

"for Microsoft to give away Windows and Office for nothing. It's sure to happen. Any time now..."

They just will add £500 onto the hardware cost to cover it like Apple do...

Anonymous Coward

"Yes but, would anyone bother to install Windows 8, even if it were free?"

Apparently so - Windows 8 is already more popular than OS-X.....

Anonymous Coward

"MS doesn't have any other products that make any money"

Erm - Microsoft's recent results beg to differ:

its Business division saw revenue grow 14 percent for Q4 and 3 percent for the full year, while Server & Tools grew 9 percent in Q4 and the full year. Windows revenue was up 6 percent this quarter and 5 percent on the year, while the Entertainment & Devices group saw an 8 percent uptick in Q4 while recognizing a 6 percent rise for all of 2013

Anonymous Coward

"apart from its enterprise software, which is only used by a relatively small number of very large companies"

What planet are you from? Not earth apparently...

Windows Server has a 75% market share of the whole x86 server market....and pretty much every company large or small uses Microsoft's server products...

Anonymous Coward

So Apple customers have been charged a minimum of $77 so far to fix the over 2,000 known security vulnerabilities to date in OS-X?

Bronze badge
FAIL

Re: It's not about Microsoft

"The other advantage is that older hardware will struggle with Mavericks, nudging you towards purchasing a new machine. These are all good business reasons for appearing to give away stuff for free"

[citation needed]

Your statement is pure, unadulterated bullshit.

Given that the entire release is about OS performance, your statement sounds like yet another sour fart.

Troll offf!

Bronze badge

"They just will add £500 onto the hardware cost to cover it like Apple do..."

Errr ... that would be the surface then? dork.

Anonymous Coward

The absolute massive difference..

Mountain Lion: 10.8

Surely even by Apple's own naming convention, this is just a .1 update, not a "new OS"?

I don't care of it's called Tango, 1.x 0.1.1.1+ - I go by the differences between the releases to tell me what is major. I only entered the Mac world at 10.6, and every point upgrade has been major. OX 10.9 is actually the first one where the difference with the previous version isn't that noticeable, but every upgrade so far has been significant and worth the effort.

As for the iWork and iLive stiff - cool. Keynote is very good (certainly with a Bluetooth link to an iPhone for remote control), Numbers is OK for me but I can see the heavy hitters prefer Excel, and Pages is OK-ish apart for the template system which is too much DTP and not enough "getting the job done" IMHO rumour has it that has been addressed so I'm waiting for the download to finish.

However, you should realise the significance of this move. When you now buy an Apple device, you basically have everything a normal user needs already installed, and it's a relatively safe machine. No license fees that will kick you in the teeth in a few months time, no daily patching, no buying another package to make the machine useful. It's there, installed, ready for use. Take machine out of shiny box, jack in power, register and start working.

No printer drivers, no pile of DVDs, and if it all goes pear shaped and you have not availed yourself of a sensible backup you can at least download it all again and start anew.

From a corporate perspective I don't quite know yet how easy it is to control a flock of Macs, but for an end user this has become a no brainer IMHO. Get a nice iShiny with everything installed, or get a barebones Intel which requires you to spend a lot more on software to make it usable. Not a hard choice IMHO.

Anonymous Coward

Adobe products run faster and just as stable on Windows 7

Nonsense

1 - Adobe stable? That's like calling a cough stable after you've fed someone a strong laxative: you're continuously inches away from an embarrassing disaster.

2 - Faster on x/y/z - that depends on so many factors (CPU speed, available RAM, disk IO) that it's entirely meaningless without qualifiers. Which is why marketing people like to state that. Hi Steve! How are you doing?

About the only thing I'd agree with is that Win 7 seems to be the most current version of Windows that passes for moderately acceptable provided you patch religiously.

Bronze badge

"Adobe products run faster and just as stable on Windows 7."

To be fair that used to be true, because Apple denied them the requisite access to hardware accelerated graphics. However that is no longer the case and has not been the case for about 3 years. And Steve Jobs was right. Flash has proven many times over to be one almighty security hole and a considerable performance hog. I can always tell when a web-page uses flash because it's the only time I hear the fan in my MacBook Air and was the only time I would hear the fan on my two MacBook Pro's before that.

OS X v7 (aka Lion)

OS X v8 (aka Mountain Lion)

OS X v9 (aka Mavericks)

OS X is vastly different from the earlier Mac OS (9 and earlier) and based on a UNIX core. The X is a play on that UNIX naming and they don't really want to lose it so for the life of OS X it will always be OS 'ten' and every new version will be numbered as a 'point' release. Forget about the 10 part and focus on the next number to understand.

Speaking as a software developer, version numbers are largely arbitrary anyway. There's very little that says you've done enough to justify a whole new version. We've even gone so far as to decide right at the last minute that a point release should end up being marketed as a whole new version just because. The end user perception of what a full release is obviously drives much of this from a marketing perspective.

As with each previous release of OS X, there's enough in Mavericks to justify a new version number. MS going from Vista to 7? On the face of it, not much to be honest, especially when you look at Vista SP2 where performance is little different from 7 in practice. Some things 7 did better were how it managed the services it ran on startup because Vista is a real dog for some time after it boots until things settle down. 7 is better but mostly it works like a Vista service pack with just some visible changes like the new task bar.

Just understand that arguing that OS X Mavericks is just a service pack sounds pretty ridiculous to someone who works as a software developer and knows how arbitrary numbering really is.

Silver badge

> Apparently so - Windows 8 is already more popular than OS-X.....

Only if your use the term in the sense of 'population' rather than 'well liked'.

Silver badge

> ..for Microsoft to give away Windows and Office for nothing

Most users seem to think that Windows (and sometimes Office) _are_ free because they are on the computer they bought.

With the original IBM PC, or many similar at the time, there was a price list and one had to select the bits required including which OS one wanted.

Anonymous Coward

Hardly a service pack - in Windows land service packs are for fixing bugs and rarely add significant new functionality. You could argue new versions of Windows were just 'service packs'.

Maverics adds a lot of new features and who cares what you call it - they have stuck it to Microsoft big time and made it FREE and not just for Mountain Lion users - everyone going back years and years. It would be like Microsoft giving Windows 8.1 away to everyone - even XP users.

Bronze badge

Re: @Philip Storry

Where's a link for that, then. Accordng to Apple you do it through the app store. There's no link on their website that I can find.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.