back to article HTC chief exec to focus on designing new mobes, sticks Wang in sales etc

HTC's chief executive has delegated some of his operational duties to his company's chairwoman and co-founder so he can concentrate on reviving the firm's smartphone business. CEO Peter Chou is stepping back from some of his tasks in sales, marketing and supplier relationships so that he can focus on product development, the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Still have an HTC Incredible S. After more than two years, it still works great and I have no reason to change. I will look at HTC again when I am ready to upgrade.

2. Shane McCarrick

Another happy HTC customer here

I've had a number of HTC phones over the last 5 years- and actively seek them out anytime I'm entitled to an upgrade. My HTC One is a marvellous phone- as was the One X, the Desire HD etc etc I hope they get out of their current funk.

1. Lusty

Re: Another happy HTC customer here

The problem is though that for every good phone they make like the one, they also make a thousand shitty models which make millions of people hate them and give them a bad name. I hate HTC based on two work phones, one being a Wildfire S. yes I know it's a low end hand set but that it no excuse for what that POS put me through. This is why Apple don't enter the cheap market, it does more harm than its worth.

1. Rafael L

Re: Another happy HTC customer here

Because Samsung is doing very bad by launching Galaxy Aces, Young, Pocket, NEX and the likes right?

3. poopypants

HTC make nice phones (sometimes)

However I think the Nexus line provides better value.

4. Mark .

"HTC has been enduring a slow topple from the top of the smartphone heap, joining mobile-makers like Nokia and BlackBerry, which were once the cream of the mobile crop, at the bottom of the list."

Nokia have indeed toppled all the way from first to second place! It's just that most the mobiles they sell aren't Windows Phone ones, but they're ahead of Apple, second only to Samsung.

1. Eddy Ito

Not the mobile phone heap, the smartphone heap. Of course, I'd argue that my old Symbian phone was just as smart if not smarter since I could sync everything directly to my PC without using the cloud. Unfortunately it seems cloud and touchscreen are the two defining features of a dumb terminal smartphone.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bizarre

Seems odd to me that the bloke should hand over some of his duties as the company's chief executive officer, in order to fiddlea round in designing handsets (or telling those already paid to do so how to do their job).

That's not leadership, that's a company in crisis, which could explain their dismal corporate performance and struggles to make any money, along with recent management departures. The HTC One gets great write ups, so why is the CEO messing around in that area? It's sales and marketing that are the problem, and clearly his "value added input" has messed that up, so perhaps he'll do the same for design.

Oi! Chou! Stop being an idiot. Employ the right people, set clear, achievable targets, and hold them to account without interfering.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Bizarre

"why is the CEO messing around in that area"

Maybe he realises he's a better engineer than he is a CEO..... kudos if it works out.

6. N13L5

The amount of beating HTC gets from the media is bordering on suspicious..

I think they pissed off the wrong American Oligarch at some point and now the press has it in for them.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So advice for HTC.

Offer real support to your end users and offer it quickly.

HTC's are deem rubbish by my user base because of the issues they have are not rectified by HTC quickly enough.

It's not just the phone people want, but service and support.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like