Feeds

back to article Thousands! of! Yahoo! Mail! users! driven! crazy! by! revamp!

Yahoo! Mail's redesign has not gone over well with users, who are miffed at the Purple Palace's axing of features like tabs and changing how folders work. Yahoo! has been busily redesigning a number of its products, as well as tilting its exclamation mark a whimsical nine degrees as part of a logo revamp – much to the annoyance …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Silver badge

And....

...if you go in with Chrome / SW iron, it asks you every fucking time to "upgrade" to ie or firefox, then asks you to choose a theme (hello 1990) , forgetting this shitty "feature" everytime.

Silver badge

Re: And....

1990 is still a bit early. Text-only Internets were all the rage back then...

Same thing with Opera. What idiot still writes web interfaces that are browser dependent? The only other place I've seen that in the last 10 years is Windows Update. There's a company who's client experience you want to emulate...

Two screens between clicking to open email and actually getting to see email is just stupid.

Bronze badge
FAIL

AND...

Every "upgrade" of yahoo mail has made it worse and slower. I've been happily on Yahoo email since it was first made available, with two email addresses. I've been able to bypass each crappy upgrade with different tricks, like have Firefox provide a different user agent.

But now, Yahoo has adopted Google's mantra of "upgrade or go die", so I have no choice. Now I dread checking my Yahoo email.

Anonymous Coward

"1990 is still a bit early. Text-only Internets were all the rage back then.."

Think you might find it's pre-WWW too. Think AOL and Compuserve. And uucp and such. Even gopher hadn't arrived. Even what? Yes, exactly.

Silver badge

"1990 is still a bit early. Text-only Internets were all the rage back then.."

Think you might find it's pre-WWW too.

Errr, that's kind of the point. WWW is the webby stuff. He's referring to telnetting into BBS at best, dialing in at worst. Xmodem! Zmodem! The fun!

Or maybe Fidonet, which doesn't predate the actual internet but was all the rage back then.

Bronze badge
Happy

Ah yes. Different fonts were the "themes" of that era.

So you see, Metro is just the Comic Sans of our times.

Silver badge
Trollface

But on the plus side

It's now easier to delete emails from the android app.

Seriously that's all that I do these days. Yahoo is the spamiest mail provider anywhere

Anonymous Coward

Re: But on the plus side

"Yahoo is the spamiest mail provider anywhere"

The world of usenet knows my yahoo email address, and has done for years. I don't see any of it unless I look in Yahoo's spam folder.

Definitely a thumbs down for this latest "UX upgrade" though.

Bronze badge

Sod tabs...

... give us back the old-style Yahoo! mail - navigation is a nightmare ever since they switched to this JS-dependent crap.

Re: Sod tabs...

There are ways to switch back to classic Yahoo Mail, that is with tabs, folders, and so on. You can get the latest developments at the Facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/yahoomailfail/ and a short tutorial how to get tabs and folders back permanently, that is without switching back to the good Yahoo Mail after you turn on your browser again at http://morepleasuretolife.com/2013/10/15/permanent-tabs-folders-yahoo-mail-tutorial/.

Facepalm

Of course the biggest problem here is not any changes made to the interface, it is that there is an interface at all. It is an email service, the clue is in the name, Yahoo! Mail, so why are people trying to use a web browser ? It is like complaining that the hammer you used to use for driving in screws is no longer available. Well use a screwdriver then.

Use a mail client for mail, there are plenty available, and as long as the standards are supported by the mail service, then you can choose the client/layout/features that suit you.

If Yahoo! had start changing the mail protocols to their own ends that would be different, until then.....

We must be from the same decade. I also remember when people were able to type obviousurl.com in the address bar instead of googling absolutely everything. Things are not what they used to be anymore, and it saddens me a bit.

Facepalm

Reply @Rascak

" It is an email service, the clue is in the name, Yahoo! Mail, so why are people trying to use a web browser ?"

You sir, are an idiot. Yahoo Mail is not a traditional e-mail provider, it's WEB BASED e-mail. therefore it is meant to be read / used / accessed within a web browser.

IIRC - accessing Yahoo Mail with a traditional POP based e-mail client isn't free, when I last looked, this required payment of a $50 per year for Yahoo MailPlus.

Silver badge

Use a mail client

Sound advice but not having to use a client is the main reason web mail exists.

Silver badge
WTF?

Re: Reply @Rascak

Well I'm IMAPping to Yahoo Mail with Thunderbird for free, which after this latest makeover is about the only thing keeping me on it. Is the privilege of paying $50 for stone-age POP access reserved for lucky US users or something?

Bronze badge

The free sevice include POP3 and AFAIK IMAP these days. About the oulny thing you get for paying is no adds in the webmail interface, and IMHo if that's want you want there are several smaller webmail services like Fastmail who will give you ad-free webmail (and POP and IMAP) for far cheaper than what Yahoo charges for their premium service. Although Fastmail has become a bit pants since Opera bought them.

Re: Use a mail client

Main reason for webmail existence is freedom from isp

"IIRC - accessing Yahoo Mail with a traditional POP based e-mail client isn't free, when I last looked, this required payment of a $50 per year for Yahoo MailPlus."

Maybe you should try anyway. Free pop works for me.

Facepalm

How archaic

People still use an email client by choice?

Silver badge

I used the following trick to get free POP access, going via Asian Yahoo Mail sites:

http://www.joomlaspan.com/technology/free-pop3-outlook-gmail-access-to-yahoo-mail.php

Accessing yahoo mail via IMAP (and presumably POP) is free, this is how I reach it from Android.

For that matter, you can perfectly access gmail with an IMAP client too.

This post has been deleted by its author

Anonymous Coward

Re: when I last looked,

maybe you should look again.

Anonymous Coward

the clue is in the name, Yahoo! Mail, so why are people trying to use a web browser ?

You remind me of someone who in all seriousness posted the question, "Why do drivers bother putting their sidelights on? Do they only want to see a little bit?"

Try looking beyond your own nose once in a while. Are you telling me, with your huge intellect and all those years of schooling, that you can't conceive of a single instance where people may only have the option of accessing Yahoo Mail through a web browser?

FAIL

<quote>

You sir, are an idiot. Yahoo Mail is not a traditional e-mail provider, it's WEB BASED e-mail. therefore it is meant to be read / used / accessed within a web browser.

</quote>

Think of me as an idiot if you will, but if so then I am an idiot who understands what an oxymoron is.

<quote>

IIRC - accessing Yahoo Mail with a traditional POP based e-mail client isn't free, when I last looked, this required payment of a $50 per year for Yahoo MailPlus.

</quote>

Try checking rather than recalling if you don't want to be shown up then.

FAIL

So it is impossible to get a non ISP email service that prefers POP/IMAP Access ?

Here's a clue, it isn't.

FAIL

<quote>

You remind me of someone who in all seriousness posted the question, "Why do drivers bother putting their sidelights on? Do they only want to see a little bit?"

</quote.

What has not knowing the need for sidelights got to do with knowing the correct tool for a job ?

<quote>

Try looking beyond your own nose once in a while. Are you telling me, with your huge intellect and all those years of schooling, that you can't conceive of a single instance where people may only have the option of accessing Yahoo Mail through a web browser?

</quote>

Yes there may be times that having an ALTERNATIVE way to access email may be useful, just as a hammer can be used as an alternative way to drive in a screw, but if you cannot get a screwdriver for your home toolbox, then would you buy screws ?

Re: How archaic

<quote>

People still use an email client by choice?

</quote>

Those of us who understand protocols and standards do.

<quote>

We must be from the same decade. I also remember when people were able to type obviousurl.com in the address bar instead of googling absolutely everything. Things are not what they used to be anymore, and it saddens me a bit.

</quote>

I get the ones when I am doing internet/router support who don't even know what the address bar is, I say to type the router URL in the address bar in the browser and get asked if I mean type it into Google. Am I just getting old ?

Bronze badge
Big Brother

Re: How archaic

"People still use an email client by choice?"

Absolutely! Anybody that is using email professionally should be using an email client rather than a web based interface. Being able to access email with a web browser is a good option to have for the times that you need to use a computer at a hotel, internet cafe or a customer's location but a specific client can be much more functional and secure.

A dedicated email client gives one the option of choosing an application with the best combination of options to suit the user. There is also the issue of consistency brought up in this article. Providers are often changing their interfaces and features around for no better reason than to change the appearance whether it improves functionality or not. With a separate email client, you get to choose if you want to "upgrade" your feature set at a time that is most convenient to you. The change is not rammed down your throat at the whim of the provider.

Remember that in many countries the contents of your email can be subpoenaed. Spy agencies such as the NSA will have a much easier time indexing your missives if they are stored in a place where they already have free access. If you are storing your email on your own computer and deleting it off of your ISP's server, outside entities will have a hard time proving that you are not fully complying with a subpoena and the spies will have a harder time gaining casual access.

Yahoo, Gmail and other free mail services can be handy to maintain a consistent personal address as your life changes. If you want to use their services (and become their bitch... umm product) you have to put up with their fanciful whims.

I just checked and it appears this just changed.

"As of October 2013 Yahoo provides all Yahoo mail users free and unlimited POP3 access and forwarding." - Wikipedia.

Silver badge

Sound advice but not having to use a client is the main reason web mail exists.

Um.... nope. The main reason webmail exists is because it allows people to keep their email addy if they ever switch ISPs or their jobs. Of course, it later started turning into a given to have email access everywhere via a web interface, but the main reason for using free webmails is still the ISP/work independence.

Yahoo mail has been freely accessible via IMAP for YEARS. No one but poxy hotmail uses POP these days.

If you simply have to check you Spam deluge use Thunderbird, Evolution, Opera Mail, Outlook, Geary or any other IMAP capable email client.

This post has been deleted by its author

Anonymous Coward

I've not liked the previous 3 updates and on each occasion I've managed to keep the old version until I was forced to upgrade. However I no longer have this option, Yahoo seems to force me to change with no choice. This is absolutely awful, stop f'ing around with it, the Yahoo Classic Mail worked fine, each version since has had epic faults/missing important stuff.

Well done Yahoo.

Anonymous Coward

to be honest its been total shi*e for ages now. I've had a yahoo account since 1998 and all I want from it is to load quick (actually loading with out fecking up would be an advance!) and be quick to use to send and view emails I DON'T WANT ANY OTHER SHI*E

Silver badge
Windows

"Thousands! Of! Yahoo! Mail! Users!

... they're doing better than I'd thought, then.

Meh

Wait! Did they see a cat and then another cat just like it? Shit! They changed something! *Panic*

Silver badge

Re: Meh

Cats in a row? Happens whenever You Tube.

Bronze badge

Hundreds of voices cried out in terror...

...and were ignored as usual.

Silver badge

I just hook it up to the email in by 9320. Lot less painful that way.

Bronze badge

On the upside, I hated those tabs. For glancing over emails ( most of what you want to do on Spamhoo messages ) it was a total pain in the ass because it wasn't obvious that you were in tabs, closing them was counter-intuitive and there was no way to use the back button, which is pretty much #1 on the list of classic web usability gotchas.

Bronze badge

last thing I want

to add is a "theme" to Yahoo, the thing is creaky enough without extra dross.

Last Friday set out to mail 15 people with 20 attachments. Find that I cannot now add addressees from two separate lists and have to waste time merging two lists before I can do any work.

Fuckwits.

FAIL

I hated yahoo's tabs. My browser has tabs - tabs in tabs is redundant.

Silver badge

Yahoo Articles

Yahoo articles are less annoying if you interpret each on of those ! as a "Boing!" sound.

Silver badge
Alert

Re: Yahoo Articles

Shouldn't that be a ¡Bong! sound?

Trollface

The "tilt"

Must be to represent Yahoo! falling over.

Bronze badge
Alert

Re: The "tilt"

How long then, I wonder, before it's

Yahoo.__

Bronze badge

Seriously, I'm starting to think that someone from Google took up a job at Yahoo, with the sole purpose of bollocksing up the mail and groups systems so far, that people will naturally gravitate to Gmail out of frustration.

That can be the only possible explaination.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.