Feeds

back to article Cannabis can CURE CANCER - cheaply and without getting you high

The non-hallucinogenic parts of cannabis seem to be potentially highly effective anti-cancer drugs, according to a new study. “This study is a critical step in unpicking the mysteries of cannabis as a source of medicine," explains Dr Wai Liu. "The cannabinoids examined have minimal, if any, hallucinogenic side effects, and their …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Anonymous Coward

Good news and bad news

The Good News :

I had a successful apprentisship with the aformentioned THC, in it's various forms, for several years, I presume that I should be safe and free from cancer till the end of my days.

The Bad News:

Our Cannabis "Medicinal" cigarettes used a lot of tobacco.

PS : Don't bogart that joint, my friend, pass it over to me.......

Anonymous Coward

Re: Good news and bad news

bongs and pipes are the way to go with a none tobacco mix.

Gold badge
Coat

"bongs and pipes are the way to go with a none tobacco mix."

But remember bongs are a gateway.....

To carpentry.

My jacket's the one with a DVD of "No Cure for Cancer" in the pocket.

Facepalm

Bongs and pipes? I smoked dope for about 8 years, along with a pack a day cigarette habit. When I left the Navy in 1985, the exit chest x-ray showed that I had a couple of spots on my lungs that the doctor told me would have resulted in emphysema before too long. Fortunately, I had quit both tobacco and weed in 1982, so my lungs never developed cancer or emphysema.

But think about it: how many people get emphysema after just 8 years of smoking? Some probably, but not many. It was the pot smoking combined with the tobacco that almost did me in. Pot smoke has even more tar and cancer agents than tobacco; and combine the two at the same time, and you've got yourself a death wish.

Not only that, but after stopping the weed (I smoked probably several joints a week or so on average from age 13 to 22), it was almost 3 years before the THC cleared out of my brain cells and I was able to think normally again.

Anyone who thinks pot isn't dangerous is deluded. Not only does it lead to harder drugs, but it can give you cancer just like tobacco. I think THC might be useful as a prescribed drug for some situations as long as it is administered in a non-smoking form. The smoke is very dangerous. Don't kid yourself into thinking it isn't.

And THC itself needs to be tightly regulated and controlled. THC/pot turns you into a nitwit, while at the same time the user thinks he is actually getting smarter. It's a trap.

Silver badge

The whole hysteria over pot is beyond stupid but though I enjoyed it a bit in my youth these days its definately not for me. Adults especially ones with kids actually have to get shit done in the day. I am lazy enough. The last thing I need is couchlock.

Oh no. This chap is trotting out the 'slippery slope to heroin' argument.

Anonymous Coward

@lone ranger sez -

(1) Anyone who thinks pot isn't dangerous is deluded. Not only does it lead to harder drugs, but it can give you cancer just like tobacco.

(2) THC/pot turns you into a nitwit, while at the same time the user thinks he is actually getting smarter.

(3) I smoked dope for about 8 years

nuff said ...

Bronze badge

"But think about it: how many people get emphysema after just 8 years of smoking? Some probably, but not many. It was the pot smoking combined with the tobacco that almost did me in."

Nope, just lousy genes almost did you in.

Emphysema tends to be genetically triggered in some smokers.

The majority of smokers just end up with clogged arteries.

You're either disingenuous, or a victim of believing your own bullshit. You weren't even close to having "emphysema".

I live in a country where a sizable portion of the population uses it routinely. I know people who have smoked it every day for 40+ years and they aren't bedridden and wheezing. In fact I know a lot of people. (and one of them first hand) I am not saying that smoking anything is good for you, but cannabis is not likely to kill you anytime soon.

Cancer is a bit tricky though. If you are susceptible to it, and your immune system doesn't go after cancer cells, you're probably going to get it in some form. You simply cannot say that "stopping smoking" (tobacco or cannabis really) prevented you from getting cancer. You could still have a problem with it in the future, or not. Hopefully not ever.

THC doesn't have to "clear out of your brain cells" either. The THC itself is in fact gone from your body in a few days (most of it in a few hours), what persists in fatty tissues and are excreted slowly are its non pharmacologically active metabolites.

THC binds to receptor sites for chemicals (anandamides) in your brain that have similar molecular structures and properties. Yes, your brain has cannabinoid receptors. It therefore changes your brain chemistry, but regular users' brains simply adapt to it. It doesn't turn people into "nitwits", they already have those traits to begin with.

Yes, it can cause temporary loss of concentration and other cognitive abilities while people are under the influence of it. Less so in chronic users, who will be more likely to be enhanced by relatively small amounts of it than impaired.

Leads to harder drugs? Not in itself. What leads to harder drugs, is having to buy it from illegal sources who also deal in other drugs. It's also a matter of perception. Someone is already using illegal cannabis without serious harm, so it's not much of a stretch to seek out other substances. They are already comfortable defying the establishment and worse... they might think that worse drugs aren't harmful either, since none of the brimstone and fire happened to them.

Oh, really?

http://www.atsjournals.org/doi/abs/10.1513/AnnalsATS.201212-127FR?journalCode=annalsats&#.Ul5D8XVDvmE

"In summary, the accumulated weight of evidence implies far lower risks for pulmonary complications of even regular heavy use of marijuana compared with the grave pulmonary consequences of tobacco."

Well, it's a good thing you quit the tobacco, at least.

Silver badge
Thumb Up

vaporisers

Silver badge

@Loneranger

"Anyone who thinks pot isn't dangerous is deluded"

Yes that's true. As you point out, smoking it isn't so good for the lungs. And I wouldn't recommend it to anyone below 25 (and most certainly not to teenagers), as until around 25 the brain is still developing. But there are many safe ways to get at all the weedy goodness. And it is much, much, MUCH safer than both tobacco and alcohol.

"Not only does it lead to harder drugs..."

No, no, no, no, no, no, NO!! Please quit with this BS, it is absolutely not true. It's a correlation vs causation thingy, there is no evidence whatsoever to show that pot use in and of itself leads to harder drugs. And if it's legal, then pot users have less opportunity to be exposed to dealers who will be pushing harder drugs.

"THC itself needs to be tightly regulated and controlled. THC/pot turns you into a nitwit, while at the same time the user thinks he is actually getting smarter. It's a trap."

Yes, of course it needs to be regulated and controlled. At the very minimum same as alcohol, but I would also up the age of 'don't sell to" to 21. Yes it turns you into a nitwit, that's half the fun. But it turns people into funny, passive, cool nitwits, as opposed to alcohol that turns people into a paranoid, aggressive, violent nitwits

Anonymous Coward

@loneranger

The most lethal that a dose of cannabis can be is having a 20 kilo brick dropped on your head from a great height.

Anonymous Coward

@Grogan

Bravo sir, have an upvote for the medical facts and dispelling the gateway myth.

Anonymous Coward

"Not only that, but after stopping the weed (I smoked probably several joints a week or so on average from age 13 to 22), it was almost 3 years before the THC cleared out of my brain cells and I was able to think normally again."

I smoked whilst at college and university. I still managed to pass my degree but only after I quit smoking. Whilst in second year I was smoking stronger and stronger stuff and eventually went onto some strong strains of skunk. I was also drinking copious alcohol too. I had a not-very-nice white out and passed out by the side of a road walking home - only to be recovered by some people who were passing and were concerned. I'd been unconscious for hours. I stopped smoking cannabis after that. I stopped smoking a few years later. My memory is shot - I have little short term memory. I attribute that to the pot.

"Anyone who thinks pot isn't dangerous is deluded. Not only does it lead to harder drugs"

That is nonsense. Whilst I smoked cannabis and skunk I never moved onto harder drugs. I was offered them, as the place and dealer you bought from was also the place that sold those much harder elements (Acid, Cocaine, Heroin). I always declined. My view was a pill, once it was in your system, was pretty much going to run its course and you couldn't control the dose. With smoking at least you could put it out or pass it to someone else. I've had friends who have taken heroin and been in and out of rehab, but they didn't start from cannabis.

---

In response to the article, if they can isolate the molecular strains and proteins in there to isolate pain and help cancer sufferers then great.

Anon as its my jaded past...

Re: @Loneranger

"But it turns people into funny, passive, cool nitwits, as opposed to alcohol that turns people into a paranoid, aggressive, violent nitwits"

BS.

What it causes to different people are totally depending on the individual. I become a funny, passive, cool nitwits of alcohol. However one closely related to me, who also after a burnout seem to have a chronic depression, actually gets aggressive especially of red wine.

I suspect the way pot will affect a human will be just as dependant on the individual as with alcohol. I've never used drugs for recreational use, medically yes, never smoked and won't smoke. But I do drink alcohol, and the way I use it, it has never made me paranoid, aggressive, violent nitwit.

However I do recognise that with alcohol, traits of who the person really is shows through. Carry a load of anger inside, it will be exposed under the influence alcohol, and so will it with many other hidden feelings that otherwise is kept from bursting out. That's probably why so many turn to alcohol when under stressful conditions. It makes them talk about it, in one way or other.

Anonymous Coward

Well then--Let me tell you a story...

My brother was a straight A student, always cheerful, loved his family and did anything to help others, even walking old ladies across the street and such.

That was until one night.

About six months ago, my brother, sweet and unassuming, started hanging out with the "cool" kids in his school. You know, the type that do drugs, smoke tobacco cigarettes and engage in sexual sodomy.

One night, these "friends" of his invited him to a party. He was only there for a few hours before some of them started using marijuana and asked him if he wanted to join.

I wasn't there, but it probably sounded something like, "Uhhh hey dude do you wanna do some marijuanas with us? It's totally coooool, bro, and you're totally a nard if you don't, home slice."

So basically, they peer pressured my poor brother into doing their deadly drug. I assume he had no other choice.

My brother must have snorted at least ten lines of marijuana and injected even more marijuanas-- using an unsterilized needle!

By the time the paramedics arrived it was too late. My brother had OD'ed on too much marijuana. I miss him. We all miss him. Let this be a warning to all of you that still think snorting and injecting marijuana is cool.

Rest in peace, Danny.

Silver badge
Coffee/keyboard

"...and engage in sexual sodomy"

top, top, post!!

Vaporisors and edibles are the healthiest way to administer THC/Cannabis.

Thumb Up

it is NOT the tobacco that causes the lung problems. It is the SMOKE. Fine particle smoke that clogs up the alveoli, creates irritation and eventually rips the air sacs and stiffens the lungs with scar tissue. The SMOKE.

Very few tobacco smokers would smoke fewer than 20 a day, many would be in the 30-40 range. Nobody would ever stay awake long enough to smoke 20 reefers a day, every day, for 20 or 30 years (which is at least the time it takes for emphysema to develop).]

Incidentally a lot of smokers never get emphysema, and only 16% of smokers get lung cancer. So much for "cause".

Not to be a grammar nazi or anything of the sort but there is a significant difference in an intoxicant and an hallucinogen. Cannabis is not classified as hallucinogenic. That classification covers substances such as LSD, mescaline and ecstasy.

I say this both as a long time student of criminology (my post grad) and a long time aficionado.:)

Silver badge

Not to be a grammar nazi or anything of the sort but there is a significant difference in an intoxicant and an hallucinogen.

Good because you're not being a grammar nazi. And if you were you should be ashamed of yourself for saying an hallucinogen. It's a hallucinogen (or not a hallucinogen in the current context). And you're not correcting grammar. You're correcting basic English.

Silver badge
Alien

Hallucinogenic Cannabis

Wait... you mean the media has been lying to me about this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Azf320JDdqU

Now I just don't know what to believe...

Anonymous Coward

THC might not be classed along with the other Hallucinogens but I can confirm from first hand knowledge that its effects are very hallucinogenic.

Don't believe it, try eating about half an ounce.

I vividly remember, even after 30 years , the effects that that brought on.. it took a few hours before the effect hit me, when it did I had to leave the pub, I became very paranoid. I wasn't stoned as normal, it was a completely different feeling. All I knew thought was that I had to get home...

t took what felt like hours to walk the 2 or 3 miles and then I was literally on hands and knees for the last 1/2 mile, the pavement had become spongy, wwaving up and down roller coaster style, making it difficult to walk. The lamps posts had melted and I couldn't grip on to them and the hedges were breathing, which I didn't feel comfortable with. I also had to finally suffer the scenes of animal things floating over the ceiling for a while when I finally managed to make it home ....

On the whole it was far less intence than LCD but very surprising nonetheless. I had eaten small pieces up until that point and did not realise that that would happen when I ate a larger piece..

Strange thing , I wasn't the slighest bit ill the next again day.

Anonymous Coward

I would use "an hallucinogen" in the same way I would use "an hotel". Lots of "h" words use the "an" form and have always done so (or at least I have seen it in literature all my life.

Bronze badge

Intoxigen, Hallucincant

Well, maybe there someday will be standard phrases for intoxicant and hallucinogen: Intoxigen, and hallucinocant...

Like?

eat an ham sandwich?

it's an hamster?

go to an hospital?

Most 'h' words do not use the "an" form.

You only use "an" if the 'h' is silent so that the word starts with a vowel sound.

The general rule is, if the word starts with a vowel *sound* (not necessarily a vowel) , it uses 'an' instead of 'a'

So you can use an for all 'h' words if you pronounce them with a French accent!

But in English there are a limited number of words with a silent 'h'

An honest man

An hour

An umbrella

An upside

but a University (sound is yew , not un)

Anonymous Coward

Indefinite article is phonetic rather than alphabetic.

Headmaster

there is a significant difference in an intoxicant and an hallucinogen

there is a significant difference between an intoxicant and a hallucinogen (NB 'hal' syllable of hallucinogen has secondary stress and 'an' is therefore not appropriate)

Headmaster

You can use 'an' before a word starting with h only when its first syllable is unstressed or where the h is silent (e.g. 'hour', or 'herb' if you're American). In 'hotel' the second syllable is the one with the stress so 'an hotel' is fine. The stress on 'hallucinogen' is /ˌhæl.uː.ˈsɪn.ə.dʒən/ i.e. the first syllable has secondary stress.

Bronze badge

"I would use "an hallucinogen" in the same way I would use "an hotel"."

Why would anyone say "an hotel"? I've never heard that before, it's really odd. Perhaps in some thick northern slang where the h is not pronounced ("an 'otel")?

Although, on the BBC they say "an historic" quite a lot, so who knows?

Still, back to the matter in hand. Yay for weed!

Anonymous Coward

Wirehedd

I can confirm that it does produce hallucinations - at least accoording to 'a friend of mine' - whether you hallucinate or not depends upon how much you eat, and you avoid the harmful effects of tobacco too.

Silver badge

(@ AC, 15th October 2013 15:05 GMT )

"THC might not be classed along with the other Hallucinogens but I can confirm from first hand knowledge that its effects are very hallucinogenic."

I'd bet you were using marijuana, which -usually- contains other psychoactive compounds. THC itself is not a hallucinogen. Those other compounds are absent -mostly- from hashish, which contains a bigger concentration of THC than the plant buds, and hashish won't make you hallucinate.

Nowadays -in my locality at least- it's not too common to suffer hallucinations from marijuana, as most of what is grown/sold nowadays comes from strains developed for a high content of THC, in detriment of the other psychoactive compounds.

The paranoia is a different matter, though. In my experience, if you are under lots of stress, depressed or mixing THC -in any form- with booze, you have bigger chances of ending up with some drug induced paranoia, that usually lasts a few minutes or at most ~half an hour. To put it short: THC+ethanol=BAD! :0)

Silver badge

Re: Like? (@ Justicesays)

"You only use "an" if the 'h' is silent"

An umbrella"

That's the most silent 'h' I've never not seen. :0)

Silver badge

Cannabis is a CNS depressant and hallucinogen. Not sure where you're getting your info, but cannabis is most definitely officially classified a hallucinogen.

Where the article and/or the scientists are wrong is stating it is a powerful hallucinogen. Even the best smoke on Earth doesn't qualify as a powerful hallucinogen. Besides the 'regular' stuff like LSD, mushrooms and peyote, there are plenty of industrial chemicals that you can 'intentionally concentrate and inhale'* that will have you tripping your balls off and you can buy them in bulk. Those are powerful hallucinogens, cannabis is not.

Anonymous Coward

Classification? By WHOM exactly???

The one thing that can be said with certainty about cannibis is that MOST EXISTING literature, articles, rules, regulations and classifications are in fact wrong or worse outright lies.

Yes, everything you learned about pot in your DARE class is complete bullshit. No one has ever died directly from an overdose. It has no lasting side effects and it cures the symptoms of many discomforts, ailments and complaints. All that and the primary side effects include sleepiness and the munchies.

All in all a truly harmul drug eh?

Classification as a "Schedule 1 drug" under the "Controlled Substances Act" is why weed is still illegal here in most of the USA. (Schedule 1 includes all comon hallucinogenic drugs as well as heroin)

How weed is classified in the rest of the world is typically proportional to how that country works with the US DEA. If they want the "War on drugs" funding, then weed is classified as a dangerous hallucinogenic drug.

When the sole function of the war on drugs seems to be keeping the liquor and pharmaceutical companies in business, perhaps we should stop listening to their lies.

Bronze badge

@Mephistro (Re: Like? (@ Justicesays))

It's like the silent 'c' in rap music.

Silver badge

Re: (@ AC, 15th October 2013 15:05 GMT )

THC+tramadol=very very bad., in a really nice way.....

Silver badge

@ Don Jefe

"Where the article and/or the scientists are wrong is stating it is a powerful hallucinogen"

Yeah, that! :^)

But if you eat half a kilogram of salt or drink five litres of water you'll also hallucinate (just before dying). I mean, half an ounce of the stuff is not a normal dose for THC, when a gram can keep you high for hours. What I'was trying to say in my comment is that other chemicals in cannabis buds are responsible for most of the hallucinogen properties of marijuana. I've never had hallucinations while using hashish, but I had them on several occasions after consuming Maryjane, in similar dosages. Don't know what would happen if I ate 1/2 Oz. (~13 grams)THC's worth of hashish, though. That would be ~50 grams of hashish with a 30% content of THC. If you can consume that amount in two days you must be a pro! Taking the full amount at the same time is stupid & wasteful, IMHO.

On a side note, I'm not totally sure whether we agree or disagree :^), but it's an interesting discussion anyway.

Silver badge
Holmes

@Goldmember

'...Although, on the BBC they say "an historic"...'

On the Beeb, they often (and repeatedly) say a lot of things which are complete cobblers - or are the latest fad amongst the oh-so-precious chatterati

Did you keep any seed?

Silver badge

"Don't believe it, try eating about half an ounce."

That's utterly crossed the line from sensible drug use to drug abuse and is just stupid. You deserve what you got, idiot.

Bronze badge

Re: Intoxigen, Hallucincant

"Well, maybe there someday will be standard phrases for intoxicant and hallucinogen: Intoxigen, and hallucinocant..."

Well, a hallucinogen is most certainly an intoxicant. However, not every intoxicant is a hallucinogen.

Bronze badge

Re: Classification? By WHOM exactly???

"Yes, everything you learned about pot in your DARE class is complete bullshit."

Perhaps, there was no such class back when I was in school.

However, cannabis *is* a hallucinogen when a large quantity is consumed.

Large as in substantial, a hell of a lot.

And with such large consumption, there are also lasting effects.

Like everything else, moderation is the key.

Well, for everyone but me. I'm allergic to it.

"How weed is classified in the rest of the world is typically proportional to how that country works with the US DEA."

Not always. Not a single GCC state takes US drug war money. Their laws are for religious reasons.

Funny how it's trivially available though and hash is even more commonly available.

As for pharmaceutical companies, they could trivially grow high quality medical grade weed and sell it, package the various alkaloids, etc. So, they have little to no incentive to have some grand conspiracy to ban weed.

The same is true for the booze companies, indeed, weed was prohibited around the same time prohibition hit.

All courtesy of Randy Hearst and his Reefer Madness crap.

What is stupid is that research in the US on medical uses of weed is heavily restricted.

Especially since President Didn't Inhale.

You threw a 'whitey' you nutter. I've chucked a few whiteys in my time :-)

The indefinite article you're referring to is always prefixed to nouns pronounced with vowels it the first syllable, I.e., an umbrella, an ignition, an egg, an ovary. No sure, but I don't think 'hotel' would warrant 'an' as its pronunciation is not vowel sounding

Silver badge
Joke

"it was far less intence than LCD"

Wait! Display technology can cause hallucinations?

What drivers are you using?

Yag

Indefinite article is phonetic rather than alphabetic.

Making it very confusing for non-native speakers...

Silver badge

Re: Classification? By WHOM exactly???

"The one thing that can be said with certainty about cannabis is that MOST EXISTING literature, articles, rules, regulations and classifications are in fact wrong or worse outright lies."

In fact it's not only schedule 1 in US, it's also classed as "no known medicinal properties" even though that's complete BS. What that means is that it can't even be studied for research purposes, so there is very little serious literature compared to, say, heroin which was originally developed as a painkiller, and whose close cousin morphine is in wide medical use.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.