Feeds

back to article NASA's Jupiter probe wakes up after unexpected snooze

NASA's Juno probe is back up and running after unexpectedly putting itself into a hibernating "safe mode" during its last orbit around Earth. juno Juno is back online and ready to rumble "The spacecraft exited safe mode at 4:12 p.m. CDT (5:12 p.m. EDT) earlier today," said the Southwest Research Institute, which instigated …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Re: " it is the fastest Man-made thing - and heading to Jupiter at 12,000kph"

According to Space.com, the gravity assist should take it from 126,000km/h to 140,000km/h... El Reg was only off by the merest fraction. [nerdgasm]

Silver badge

Meh, that's only a leisurely Mach 114, a measly 41 times faster than a bullet from an M16, a piddling 0.001% of the speed of light... ;)

Anonymous Coward

And in proper measurements the gravity assist will take it from 78,000mph to 87,000mph

I'd rather hope not. Otherwise, someone will forget if they were using feet per second, kph, knots, mph or any other arbitrary unit.

Not that it ever happened before, right?

Anonymous Coward

Its not as if keeping track of the units you use is rocket science ...

Bronze badge

Smidgeons? Yet another unit. What conversion factor to use for metric equivalents?

Silver badge
WTF?

Um, why did my post at the start of this thread get deleted? I merely pointed out that something heading towards Jupiter at 12,000 kph was definitely NOT the fastest man-made thing.

Yag

Re: "in proper measurements..."

the gravity assist will take it from 4200% to 4670% of the maximum velocity of a sheep in a vacuum.

Anonymous Coward

Re: why did my post at the start of this thread get deleted?

Probably because after the story was corrected it was no longer relevant. I'd guess it was treated as a correction report rather than a comment.

Not if the sheep was retrofitted with warp nacelles and a deflector shield.

Anonymous Coward

only if it's a spherical sheep

Silver badge

Radio hams?

So now they have to make space probes safe from DoS attacks? Wonderful...

Anonymous Coward

Re: Radio hams?

Just bear in mind that they REQUESTED the 'DoS' - to test some sensor onboard the craft. (Gravity wave detector, iirc)

Bronze badge
Pint

"(Gravity wave detector, iirc)"

You don't (recall correctly).

There are certainly some very plump amateur radio enthusiasts, but they generally don't move fast enough to generate significant gravity waves.

Bronze badge

Too right, some of us could wipe out the entire planet's life if we did that sort of near-light s thpeed thing.

If the RF sent Juno's way was problematic then it's going to fall over when it reaches Jupiter as the fields generating the RF there are quite a lot of dB larger than we can generate from earth.

Gold badge

Would that be a Denial of Ham attack? Love the TLA that would give :)

Bronze badge

There is, however, such a thing as a "California Kilowatt." Or was:

http://www.qsl.net/ne6i/w6am/shack.html

Coffee/keyboard

*cough*

"Sphincters unclench audibly at mission control"

So that's fine, then, ... let's quit farting around and get back to work!

Silver badge

"The safe mode did not impact the spacecraft’s trajectory one smidgeon."

With the accuracy that they need for navigation in this type of manoeuvre, I'm surprised that they weren't measuring the trajectory in milli-smidgeons.

They didn't want to worry anyone about the 0.43 smidgeon drift. We Science types saw through their veil of smidgeon skullduggery.

Silver badge

Scientific Terminology.

"'The safe mode did not impact the spacecraft’s trajectory one smidgeon.' With the accuracy that they need for navigation in this type of manoeuvre, I'm surprised that they weren't measuring the trajectory in milli-smidgeons."

What surprised me, was that NASA would even use that kind of arcane scientific terminology in a public pronouncement at all. Because it is, after all, rocket science.

New Reg Unit?

Let's just hope they're not confusing their U.S. smidgeons with Imperial smidgeons or S.I. smidgres.

Bronze badge

Re: Scientific Terminology.

Milli-smidgeons? What about classic units, the Helen, say; one milli-Helen being a face beautiful enough to launch just ONE ship (but see http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/millihelen.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DItgw1mU9Us

Headmaster

Far from nominally

"The spacecraft is currently operating nominally and all systems are fully functional."

I hope you mean normally! It was operating nominally (in name alone) as a spacecraft.

Now it's a fully functional spacecraft again - I think that counts as normal for a space probe.

Re: Far from nominally

"Nominally" is a fairly standard term in this context in the Space industry and actually refers to the fact that all telemetry parameters are within allowed limits - i.e., they are nominal - a meaning of the word which can be found in the Oxford dictionary.

Gold badge
Unhappy

"I hope you mean normally! It was operating nominally (in name alone) as a spacecraft."

They don't.

NASA use "mode" as a verb.

It is however operating "nominally" as a fully functioning space probe.

Bronze badge

Only anti-semantic bastards use nouns as verbs or vice-versa.

Silver badge
Coat

Verbing rocks.

Silver badge

"The spacecraft is currently operating nominally and all systems are fully functional."

Is that a '2001 - a space odyssey' reference?

Coat

Oh my God, it's full of stars

Silver badge

Re: "The spacecraft is currently operating nominally and all systems are fully functional."

Quite possibly. I imagine that most of the staff at NASA have read the book.

(For those who don't get it, one crew member on a ship comments that all systems are 'normal.' Another then points out that they are hurtling in a one-of-a-kind craft the furthest from earth any human has ever traveled: This is not normal. The first character then rephrases the situation as 'all systems nominal, then.')

Re: "The spacecraft is currently operating nominally and all systems are fully functional."

"Respond to your queries as I pass Earth? I'm sorry Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that."

Silver badge
Alert

"It is possible some of the messages...

"...sent to the probe by radio hams here on Earth may have caused the original problems with the probe."

Did someone discover a buffer overflow error...?

Silver badge
Coat

Re: "It is possible some of the messages...

No, I'm betting that some snark sent '73' and the receiver just shut down and went to bed.

Bronze badge
Pint

Re: "It is possible some of the messages...

Millions of hams sending "HI HI HI" (Morse code version of LOL).

Juno probably frustrated that it missed the greatest joke ever told.

The probe was so excited it was going to get a message from earth.

10 minutes late, only "H" had shown up, it got bored and went to bed early.

Silver badge

Some one sent...

N0 CARRIER

Devil

Wonderful El Reg phraseology

"Sphincters unclench audibly"

Silver badge
Alien

Space "Scientists"

Yippie skippy, they went off to some fancy college and got themselves a graduate degree in 'space science'. Fat lot of good it does them if they never bothered to learn even basic science fiction.

Everybody knows when a person or a probe 'disappears' from communication for a while then reappears it is no longer the thing that went missing. It has always been replaced with the consciousness of an alien being or reprogrammed and it is never a positive thing.

I can't believe these assholes haven't hit the self-destruct button yet. This is all going to end in tears. And screaming. Yep, definitely tears and screaming.

Silver badge

Re: Space "Scientists"

But we have Space Obama to save us; he's better than Hope Corgi. All will be well.

They probably figure that since it is now on a one way trip to Jupiter, we are not going to be in much trouble from whatever stupid alien hitched a ride on the probe going the wrong way...

Bronze badge
Thumb Up

Anyone remember "Victory Unintentional" by Asimov?

Coat

"The spacecraft exited safe mode at 4:12 p.m. CDT (5:12 p.m. EDT) earlier today"

Typical Windows. I hope they fire the sys admin who booted it into safe mode and forgot to take it out again.

Just be grateful...

...it was "Safe Mode with Networking".

Bronze badge

Fastest man-made object?

I believe the Voyager 1 and 2 probes still have that honor, currently moving at about 35,000 MPH, or over 56,000 KPH.

Silver badge

Speed is meaningless,

Unless you can define relative to what. Is that speed relative to sun or earth?

Silver badge

Re: Speed is meaningless,

Hopefully they mean relative to the Sun. Since most probes are sent out in the plane of the ecliptic, speed relative to the Earth would vary depending on where the Earth is in it's orbit, approaching towards or receding from the current point in space where the probe is.

Re: Speed is meaningless,

I prefer to think that is travelling away from its former location at whatever speed is being referenced.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.