back to article Turkish TV presenter canned for flashing too much cleavage

Turkey has taken a great step forward towards not joining the European Union after government intervention saw an asset-rich female TV presenter sacked for baring too much of her decolletage. Gözde Kansu apparently copped a verbal shoeing from a ruling Justice and Development (AKP) party spokesman after baring her cleavage – but …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Bronze badge

Cultural

This does indicate a profound cultural incompatibility between Turkey and Europe.

Still, what I have to ask is why Israel isn't in both NATO and the European Common Market. (Why it isn't in the European Union, of course, is obvious; its security needs don't mesh with the EU concepts of "human rights".)

This post has been deleted by its author

Silver badge

Re: Cultural

Remember within the past year or so the BBC fielded zillions of complaints about a similar dress worn by Holly Whatshername off the dancing programme.

well she would have had no problem showing her cleavage on an Israeli news network. Israel is also very supportive of gays, abortions and all the other stuff them 'liberals' care about.

however i trust that you won't let the facts confuse you.

Not just cultural; there was a lovely interview on Radio 4 about a decade ago where an RAF pilot was struggling to reconcile his flying missions over Iraq to protect Kurds (the 'no-fly-zone', if you remember) from the same airbase where Turks were flying to cluster-bomb them (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurdish%E2%80%93Turkish_conflict).

Turkey also still fails to recognise the Armenian Genocide (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armenian_Genocide), the event which the word 'genocide' itself was created to describe...

Silver badge

"Remember within the past year or so the BBC fielded zillions of complaints about a similar dress worn by Holly Whatshername off the dancing programme."

Not really, there were 5 for the ITV one, 130 for the BBC one. Be interesting to see stats on it, but I suspect most programmes generate that just by virtue of being on.

It's to be noted that Cameron or similar didn't step in and fire her though.

Silver badge

Re: ...Not really, there were 5 for the ITV one, 130 for the BBC one....

Point being that as a population we're not homogeneous - Turks complained, Brits complained, so we can hardly get on our high horses about funny foreigners funny ways.

Bronze badge

Point being that as a population we're not homogeneous - Turks complained, Brits complained, (...)

But no Brit politician strong-armed the TV station into firing the show hostess for her clothes.

Which, by the way, is actually the point.

ditto for the UK if Cameron has his way and does away with our ECHR responsibilities

Bronze badge

139 people (killjoys?) rather than zillions.

Stop

>why Israel isn't in both NATO and the European Common Market

You think they would trust either? Or want to be in either?

Silver badge

And how many ranted to the Daily Hate, sorry mail....

Cultures are different get over it. If you read the like of the British press, one minute we're demanding Burka's are banned then the next wailling that kids are exposed to much flesh, we moan about the price of goods, then demand the price of booze and fags are massivly increased.

The best thing for humanty is to get rid of fucking bigoted xenophobics and accept people of different instead of blanket stament "oh the Turkish are terrible" or the Isrealis are evil.

Now you have the few in real power who are complete dickheads, who like to stir up shit to keep themselves in power, the majority of people, when not told what to think, just want to get on with life.

A lovely example.

http://stream.aljazeera.com/story/201310071822-0023090

Silver badge
Devil

I trust your reference "...the EU concepts of "human rights"..." was made with at least a little irony.

Also, one has to remember that although Turkey claims to have a secular government, Erdogan himself is a closet Islamist, just not with the robes, headgear & AK to which we are more accustomed. Should Turkey gain membership of the EU, I believe - YMMV - that that would be yet another urgent justification for Britain's withdrawal from said organisation.

We are already - thanks to that nice Mr Blair & that nice Mr Brown - nourishing rather too many vipers in our bosom.

Silver badge

I would suspect fact Israel is in Asia might have something to do with not being in the European trade group. You kind of have to draw a line somewhere in groups like that and being from a different continent is a convenient boundary to use.

Mushroom

>why Israel isn't in both NATO and the European Common Market

You think they would trust either? Or want to be in either?

You think they would be trusted by either? Or be wanted in either?

They're dangerous lunatics with nuclear weapons.

Oh wait, on second thoughts they'd fit right in at NATO.

Anonymous Coward

"Israel is also very supportive of gays, abortions and all the other stuff them 'liberals' care about."

Except for human rights, discrimination and international law of course...

Anonymous Coward

">why Israel isn't in both NATO and the European Common Market"

Because they the EU havn't opened the door to terrorist states so far, and Israel's human right record wouldn't measure up either.

Israel also likely wouldn't acknowledge EU law seeing as it would require them give back much of Palestine and let those forcibly removed from their own land and villages return...

Silver badge

"well she would have had no problem showing her cleavage on an Israeli news network. Israel is also very supportive of gays, abortions and all the other stuff them 'liberals' care about.

however i trust that you won't let the facts confuse you."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion_in_Israel

"When the relevant section of the penal code was originally written, it contained a "social clause" permitting women to seek abortions for social reasons, such as economic distress.[1] The clause was withdrawn in 1980 under the initiative of the Orthodox parties (see Shas, United Torah Judaism and National Religious Party)."

"About 40,000 abortions take place in Israel every year, about half of them legal."

This post has been deleted by its author

Re: why Israel isn't in both NATO and the European Common Market

Yet Turkey IS in NATO, being neither Northern, nor Atlantic state. And of course, Turkey has nothing to do with Europe at all, as the territories it holds west of Bosphorus and Dardanelles have been illegally occupied.

Silver badge
Stop

Re: John Savard Re: Cultural

"This does indicate a profound cultural incompatibility between Turkey and Europe....." Nope, it highlights the profound incompatibility between many Muslims and Europe. A large number of Turks feel they are just as incompatible with the Islamic "moderates" running Turkey.

Silver badge
Facepalm

"....http://stream.aljazeera.com/story/201310071822-0023090" And what Bibi should have added on the end was "and stop hanging gays and mentally ill teenage girls from cranes."

http://direland.typepad.com/direland/2005/10/shocking_new_ph.html

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/1672480/posts

Even that twit Erdogan and his AKP "moderates" aren't that bad compared to the Iranian mullahs.

Silver badge
Stop

Re: Pong Jefe Re: Cultural

"I would suspect fact Israel is in Asia might have something to do with not being in the European trade group....." Actually, Israel is an associated state of the European Union under the European Neighbourhood Policy (ENP), the Euro-Mediterranean Partnership, and the Union for the Mediterranean. The main legal ties between Israel and the EU are set by the 1995 Association Agreement. A first free trade area agreement was signed in 1975. In the Essen Council in 1994, the EU signaled its willingness to establish special relations with Israel. In effect, Israel is already more "in Europe" than Turkey.

"Why it isn't in the European Union..."

Israel is not in Europe, although that hasn't stopped Cyprus and is not stopping Turkey. However, Russia seems to be excluded from the EU's definition of Europe.

WTF?

Re: Pong Jefe Cultural

Actually, Israel is an associated state of the European Union under the European Neighbourhood Policy (ENP), the Euro-Mediterranean Partnership, and the Union for the Mediterranean.

Wow, I'm impressed. You typed "Is Israel in Europe?" into Google and copy/pasted the Wikipedia entry on Israel-EU relations.

They're still not in Europe, physically or mentally. Nor will they be any time soon...

Silver badge

That's actually a good question. Israel is a stable democracy, so I can only assume that it hasn't applied for membership.

Silver badge

> RAF pilot was struggling to reconcile his flying missions over Iraq to protect Kurds (the 'no-fly-zone', if you remember) from the same airbase where Turks were flying to cluster-bomb them

This same problem has reappeared in Syria. The kurds are one of the strongest non-islamist factions in the opposition against Assad, but the West can not support them because Turkey would have a cow.

Silver badge

> I would suspect fact Israel is in Asia might have something to do with not being in the European trade group.

Why limit yourself by a wholly arbitrary concept? The EU should welcome any stable democracy, anywhere.

Bronze badge
WTF?

Re: Stables are places that are full of shit.

As is Israel but what the hell has any of that got to do with the story?

What got me was the intro to the show wasn't her choice of clothing alone but the collusion of the people in charge of the programme to show her off as explicitly as possible. If Turkey was in the EU she could sue for unfair dismissal. I hope she gets a job in a civilised country, doing what she does well.

Bronze badge

EU be damned. The girl has a Divine Right.

And a divine left, I might add.

Silver badge
Coat

Turkey has applied for membership years ago and I hope the EU is now, with good reasons, a bit more careful with "cooked books" than when accepting Greece. In fact I think the EU should take some time out regarding new members. Israel has not applied and will not as that would force them to define borders and make peace and that is not on the agenda with the current government. As things are to day, they would never be accepted anyway.

Silver badge
Happy

Re: Ross K Re: Pong Jefe Cultural

".....Wow, I'm impressed...." I'd be flattered if that was an achievement, but going by your post it seems that is a relatively minor hurdle to clear, more like a wrinkle than a hurdle.

".....and copy/pasted the Wikipedia entry on Israel-EU relations......" Admittedly, I couldn't recall the titles of the EU treaties concerned. I do note that you are are unable to dispute the facts presented, just that you prefer a bit of anti-Semitic denial instead. Israel is very much "in Europe". Enjoy!

Devil

Re: Ross K Pong Jefe Cultural

you prefer a bit of anti-Semitic denial instead. Israel is very much "in Europe". Enjoy!

I'm not anti-semitic.

I despise murderous scum, whatever their religious persuasion.

Silver badge

Re: Stables are places that are full of shit.

> show her off as explicitly as possible

haha wat? Are you Amish?

Anonymous Coward

'But no Brit politician strong-armed the TV station into firing the show hostess for her clothes.'

You're correct, they just strong-armed a broadcasting company into not playing the number one hit 'ding dong the witch is dead'

Just saying.

Silver badge

> About 40,000 abortions take place in Israel every year, about half of them legal

Well, that's still better than the situation in, for instance, Poland*, where 150 000 abortions take place every year, all of them illegal.

* Poland, for you yanks, is Europe's counterpart to Alabama.

Meh

"I would suspect fact Israel is in Asia might have something to do with not being in the European trade group. You kind of have to draw a line somewhere in groups like that and being from a different continent is a convenient boundary to use."

They still manage to take part in the Eurovision Song contest though.......

Bronze badge

Canned for too much Can surely?

Anonymous Coward

"Israel is a stable democracy"

Israel widely has the vote, but it's not a true democracy - it's still an apartheid state. For instance settlers in the occupied territories can vote on the Israeli government, but Palestinians that live next door can't - and the 'Right of Return' laws specifically only apply to those who claim Jewish ancestry....

Anonymous Coward

"They're dangerous lunatics with nuclear weapons.

Oh wait, on second thoughts they'd fit right in at NATO."

They already cut out the middle man and went directly to the dangerous lunatics. The USA subsidises Israel's economy and military...

Anonymous Coward

"just that you prefer a bit of anti-Semitic denial instead"

As per the latest genetic research, most Jews are not in fact Semites, but originated from Europe....

Re: why Israel isn't in both NATO and the European Common Market

.. oh right, the European part of Turkey is Turkey occupying someone, care to mention who? The Bulgarians? They're awfully quiet about wanting it. Long memory you have too, Istanbul only having being established some 560 years ago.

Last but not least, if Turkey shouldn't be NATO due not bordering the North Atlantic, what part of Greece is anywhere near it? Or for that matter Austria, Italy, Romania etc. are? Best of all is Cyprus, which lies further from any European country than most of Asian Turkey.

As for the main article, Turkey in the EU? Never in a million years, too racist and bigoted, with a few notable exceptions. Judging by the postings here, most don't even appear to consider them as being human, but some sort of lower sub-species, in all but name.

Silver badge

Most Semites aren't Jewish... The whole term anti-Semite is a silly, shallow and wholly misunderstood term, that currently has cultural acceptance, but in reality is kind of insulting. Like saying anyone from the UK is a Scotsman or any black person is a Moor. Being Semitic does not make one a Jew. Being Jewish makes one a Jew, that's why people came up with that convenient term: Jew.

The term isn't very old, and one day cultures will be ashamed they used it. Especially the smart asses who whip it out anytime someone mentions Jews in an anything but completely positive light, but doesn't do the same for all the other Semitic people's who are about as far from being Jewish as one can get.

Semites

Most Jews spent some time in various places, including Europe, but they originated right there in Israel. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semitic_people

Silver badge

That is because the west bank is occupied territory, and the palestinians on the west bank can't vote because they're not israeli citizens. Palestinians in Israel proper do have right to vote.

Silver badge
Happy

" Iwould suspect fact Israel is in Asiamight have something to do with not being in the European trade group. You kind of have to draw a line somewhere in groups like that and being from a different continent is a convenient boundary to use."

Hee hee. Finally someone says it!

Yep, despite their desires, their managing to be part of Eurovision doesn't mean they can claim to be European!!

MJI
Silver badge

Moaning

Not worth it, I moan about on screen logos - no change except I stop watching.

I complained about a SCD (my wife likes it) have no DD5.1 and they lumped it in with voting moans (I didn't care - where was the missing sound.)

So basically genuine technical complaints get ignored for the moaning saddo squad.

Silver badge
FAIL

"....it's still an apartheid state. For instance settlers in the occupied territories can vote on the Israeli government, but Palestinians that live next door can't...." Male bovine manure. Israeli-Arabs, who are Israeli citizens, can and do vote in Israeli elections. They even have Israeli-Arab political parties and elected Israeli-Arab members of the Israeli parliament. Israeli citizens in the West Bank can and do vote in Israeli elections. By the way, how many Jews were allowed to vote in the Fakeistinian elections? None. Your claim is just another lie in the myth of "apartheid" put around by the Fakeistinian-supporting sheeple.

Silver badge
FAIL

Re: AC Re: Ross K Pong Jefe Cultural

"As per the latest genetic research, most Jews are not in fact Semites, but originated from Europe...." Continue dancing around the denial if you like, you seem just as determiend to avoid the topic of thread. Could it be you and your buddies are upset at people poking fun at an Islamic nation and take the usual knee-jerk reflexive response of having to drag Israel into the conversation?

Anonymous Coward

"Remember within the past year or so the BBC fielded zillions of complaints about a similar dress worn by Holly Whatshername off the dancing programme."

I believe you're thinking of The Voice, which is a programme about singing rather than dancing... I suspect the host of a dancing programme would have to be wearing an absolutely scandalous dress to get any complaints, especially when you consider the minimal scraps of fabric that some of the dancers get away with on a weekly basis!

Here's hoping some buxom young lass decides to test this theory to demonstrate just how far a presenter would have to go to receive complaints about revealing attire on a dancing programme... purely for scientific interest, of course...

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums