Team Nuon crossed the finish line to claim the 2013 World Solar Challenge - but plenty of other teams are still out there. And yesterday they endured a brutal day of driving in horrid weather. Wednesday's baking 42°C temperatures halved, but the wind swung around to buffet the cars from the front and sides. For an indication …
measure for measure
You quote the distance in km, the temperatures in centigrade, and the wind speeds in knots? As a primitive American used to miles and Fahrenheit, I'm glad to see the old units hanging on somewhere.
The Saharan desert expanded rapidly due to the introduction of goats a few thousand years ago, IIRC: they ate pretty much all the vegetation at the fringes, resulting in nothing strong enough to hold the dust/sand down long enough to fix it in place. This eventually resulted in a self-perpetuating expanding cycle of desertification
What happened with the Aus version? Rabbits were introduced too late shirley, and the water table's high enough to support scrub..
Low rainfall. This has been the case since before colonial times: do a search for Goyder's Line.
Woomera, about 15km north west of where the video below was shot
...and, as geek journos, you didn't make a detour to the see the rocketry?
Good job Lester's not there.
- +Comment Anti-Facebook Ello: Here's why we're still in beta. SPAMGASM!
- NASA rover Curiosity drills HOLE in MARS 'GOLF COURSE'
- WHY did Sunday Mirror stoop to slurping selfies for smut sting?
- Business is back, baby! Hasta la VISTA, Win 8... Oh, yeah, Windows 9
- George Clooney, WikiLeaks' lawyer wife hand out burner phones to wedding guests