back to article Apple pulls VPN app, helps censors' job in China

Apple has come under fire in China for kowtowing to Beijing, after withdrawing an app which allowed users to circumvent the Great Firewall. OpenDoor, which markets itself as a browser and helps users circumvent local internet restrictions like a VPN, was pulled from the Chinese version of iTunes without warning in July, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Chairo

Do they ever respond?

Apple couldn’t immediately be reached for additional comment.

I don't think I ever saw any Apple related article on El Reg without a similar statement below.

You don't give up easily, do you?

1. CmdrX3

Re: Do they ever respond?

Maybe El Reg should just create a site called I want to bear Apples fruit and use that to try and contact them. They might have a little more joy.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Do they ever respond?

What that usually means is someone called - got voicemail and marked it as couldn't immediately be reached for comment. Reuters do it as well - sometimes they add that the call was outside office hours (big surprise not to get an immediate comment then).

2. Dodel

Do they ever respond?

Maybe you should try using Tor to contact them :)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No biggy.

Apple products are very censored anyway.

This is no biggy, there being little consumer freedom.

We love dictators.

4. Muckminded

Can't saw off

the legs of the stool you're standing on. Without Chinese manufacturing, Apple would have to shop around to, like, the Philippines, or worse, Texas.

1. ian 22
      Unhappy

Re: Can't saw off

Money talks, money talks

Money talks it's true.

Money talks, money talks

Money talks to you.

Apple and Google hear it loud and clear.

1. EddieD

Re: Can't saw off

In my experience the only word money knows when it talks is "goodbye"

5. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Ha Ha!

You think switching the HTTPS did anything? Sure it makes the users feel more secure - and more likely to get themselves into trouble but I think it's a given the entire SSL/HTTPS security are been comprised for some time now.

6. HereWeGoAgain

So Apple comes under fire for obeying Chinese law

What about when it complies with US law and gives Uncle Same unrestricted access to its customers' mailboxes?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like