back to article Hyperscaling gives you power when you need it

Hyperscale computing, or simply hyperscaling, is a concept that has begun to be talked about relatively recently. Let's kick off with Webopedia's definition: Hyperscale computing refers to the infrastructure and provisioning needed in distributed computing environments for effectively scaling from several servers to thousands …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Roo
    Windows

Latency is key.

In general Latency kills performance and drives up costs. Managing that latency dynamically and ensuring that your price/perf doesn't fall through the floor is the key to making this Hyperscaling malarkey work properly. I am not convinced that there are tools available to do that yet, in my mind you need something that lets developers/support folks to monitor/rebalance/reconfigure a graph of processes on the hoof. If you provide the right APIs then the process can be automated to some degree (or perhaps completely if you are very lucky/clever), and eventually libraries of these automation routines/processes will take over the bespoke work...

Time will tell, but I am optimistic because I know it's doable right now using a bog standard UNIX/POSIX box (you don't even need all the VM gimcracks), and I think people are overly familiar with the pain of developing, deploying and managing distributed apps and they are looking for a better way to do things. So I see the shape of a solution and I see demand for it, so I think it'll happen soon. While SDNs might be a useful tool for this effort they aren't strictly necessary IMO, interesting times.

This topic is closed for new posts.