Feeds

back to article 'Outback Rover' could help calibrate satellite sensors

Earth sensing satellites have driven revolutions in farming, mineral exploration and vegetation management, but just like a camera on the ground, they need calibration. While someone like a professional videographer will check his camera against something like a white balance, earth sensing satellites aren't so conveniently …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge
Coat

Coastguard?

So who callibrates the callibrating rover?

Re: Coastguard?

The roving calibrating rover calibrator, obviously. Possibly in a (Land) Rover.

Who is in turn calibrated by a calibrated roving calibrating rover calibrator calibrator.

(Probably a Land Cruiser in the land of Oz, in fact, but that's not as much fun.)

Anonymous Coward

Dumb question

If the lake is big and relatively uniform in color, why is a rover necessary? wouldn't a stationary calibration serve just fine?

Looking for TFA to R...

Re: Dumb question

I'd think that it is because it relatively uniform; these measurements from space sound like they're precise enough to need to know just how much from the standard they vary. I suppose that you could make an array of detectors, but apart from the cost you might run the risk of affecting the colour and shade of the lake.

In any case it is still cool to make autonomous robots, especially for something that is useful like this but not really very exciting to actually do.

I'm afraid that I don't have TFA for you to R, but that's what I think of the matter.

This topic is closed for new posts.