Feeds

back to article Samsung proposes 'remedies' to EU antitrust chief in fine dodge hope

Samsung, the world's biggest smartphone vendor, has submitted a package of concessions to the competition wing of the European Commission in a move to try to offset a massive fine. The EU's antitrust commissioner Joaquin Almunia said during a speech in New York today that the South Korean electronics giant had "sent us a set of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge

Wonder what they''ll make of the sim region locking in the Note 3.

Anonymous Coward

If Google decides they don't like the outcome and choose to physically move out of Europe, will the Eurocrats try to block citizens from using it?

James: The commission may have asked for the region locked stuff "to preserve competition" just in case the device costs less if bought outside Europe.

I don't think they can 'move out' without giving up the European business (i.e. ad sales) at the same time. Hence there no real change of them 'moving out'. Also, currently their global tax shenanigans are based on having a presence in Ireland and the Netherlands.

Bronze badge
Coffee/keyboard

Who knows.

Perhaps Google will do what the Chinese did, and buy an out-of-service aircraft carrier and move their operations to it. 2 billion (who knows) for a nuclear reactor and they'll never have to dock again.

escape -- the ultimate one.

Bronze badge
Facepalm

Save us from the risk of some 'local tat'

My concern is that warts and all at least Google more or less gives useful results. I say more or less as it sometimes produced some links to dreadful alternative search engines with their wonderfully dire selection of ever less relevant results. If only the - operator could be used to knock them out.

Restoring the + operator to limit the cruft would also be useful.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Save us from the risk of some 'local tat'

You've only got to look at their search page today, there's a link to the new Nexus 7. Hardly fair on the competition?

This topic is closed for new posts.