Feeds

back to article LOHAN rocket motor igniter goes pop at 20,000m

Fans of our Low Orbit Helium Assisted Navigator (LOHAN) mission will know that the issue of getting a rocket motor to fire at altitude has given our Vulture 2 spaceplane team plenty of sleepless nights. Click here for a bigger version of the LOHAN graphic Last year, we constructed the Rocketry Experimental High Altitude …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge
Boffin

And remember, children,

Never return to a firework after it's been lit!

Trollface

Re: And remember, children,

Wouldn't that consisute as littering?

Thumb Up

Good work all round!

Though I think Paul's "happy face" needs some work.

Silver badge

After LOHAN

Once LOHAN has been completed, the next step for the Special Project Bureau will obviously be to implement GPS-guided autonomous landing of the aircraft at a pre-defined location. That'll save The Reg crew a lot of trekking through the landscape to recover stuff.

Of course, it'll also give The Reg a balloon launched cruise missile capability.

So, not just "biting the hand that feeds IT", but also targetting IT with explosive payloads.

This post has been deleted by its author

Bronze badge

Re: After LOHAN

I thought the reason for the avionics was so that the fight is controlled and returns?

Although the balloon and other debris will still need a trek I fear.

Silver badge

Re: After LOHAN

I just hope BOFH doesn't cotton on to that...

Silver badge

@Ragarath Re: After LOHAN

By George, you're right!

Our aim is to launch the advanced vehicle from a helium balloon at maximum altitude, and then ask it to guide itself back to Earth via GPS and autopilot.

Although I can't recall hearing much about this GPS guidance since then. It's all been trusses and high-altitude rocket ignition. What's going on in that area, Reg?

(Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: @Ragarath Re: After LOHAN

Well, we've got the autopilot working, as our reveal vid shows: http://youtu.be/fkTf_V7jX2A

There's still work to be done. We're on the case...

Silver badge

Re: @Ragarath After LOHAN

Thanks for that, Lester. Dunno how I missed it.

(Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Re: @Ragarath After LOHAN

No probs.

What about the otherway round?

Last time I was in china (using state run dial-up) the reason I couldn't access many websites sites I wanted to wasn't so much down to outbound firewall rules in China, it was inbound access from Chinese registered IP address being blocked on the sites I was trying to access that was the problem. After decades of malicious attacks, western administrators are pretty wary of Chinese registered IP address ranges.

Silver badge

Re: What about the otherway round?

And???

Felicitaciones

Muchach@s, me encuentro lleno de admiración. Enbuenahora.

Bronze badge

Yay...

Excellent news that, unlike the real Lohan, this actually does something useful and works.

Well done all involved.

Silver badge

Missed one...

Surely that should have been premature explosion of an huge Airbag? Were they Bulgarian? :-P

Silver badge

Bah!

A wise team would still figure out a backup for when the real thing gets stroppy.

Anonymous Coward

What's next after the LOHAN project?

The BYNES project?

Silver badge
Unhappy

Alas for the subtitles that could have been....

LOHAN gets high, then hot....

LOHAN unafraid to show chemical dependency....

LOHAN cozies up to hot thruster....

Seriously, Reg--do I need to fly across the pond and crack some heads in your editorial meetings??

Silver badge
Pint

Love these reports

Great stuff from the special projects bureau

This topic is closed for new posts.