back to article Apple iOS 7 makes some users literally SICK. As in puking, not upset

Forging new frontiers in fanboi fragility, some members of the iDevice community have taken to Apple's discussion forum to complain that iOS 7 makes them want to puke. No, their nausea isn't being caused by mere aesthetic revulsion. Rather, the source is iOS 7's many zoom animations along with the slight parallax effect that iOS …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

A split personality release

I thought I couldn't be alone. While the zoom animations look nice, I do find them uncomfortable to view. iOS 7 is a split-personality release. It has both simplified the user interface, giving a lot more focus to the content, and also added a lot more bling in terms of animations and physics effects. To my mind the focus on the content is fantastic, but I could live without the animations.

Silver badge
FAIL

Re: A split personality release

Cheap copies of the market leader usually has this effect.

A quick drive across an airport runway will fix it..

Anonymous Coward

So that's why I have been feeling sick...

No Wait...

I have a Samsung......

No wonder I've been feeling sick.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought so.

iOS 7 can't seem to make up its mind. In some ways, they've cleaned up and de-cluttered the user interface. The new alert dialogs are less intrusive than the old ones, the new Safari feels a lot more streamlined and keeps the user interface out of my way, the new lock screen makes entering a passcode a whole lot easier...

...and then they added garishly colored icons and a whole lot of animated effects that really don't add to the user interface in any meaningful way I can tell.

What one hand giveth, the other hand taketh away.

Silver badge
Headmaster

I am rather surprised that Apple have made such an elementary error given that it is a well known phenomenon that the various forms of ersatz 3D on the market today have precisely that effect on about 15% of viewers.

Apple won't make those mistakes if Steve Jobs is still kicking but now look who is in charge, Tim Cook !!

Anonymous Coward

"Apple won't make those mistakes if Steve Jobs is still kicking "

Only if it affected Steve. If it didn't then the critics would be scorned as heretics.

Putting parallax effects on something people use while walking is really not a good idea.

@Artic Fox: the studies I saw put it at 20% on "3D" which means almost many family households have ONE person that can't deal with 3D on movie night (and studios wondered why it didn't take off). Unfortunately, as luck would have it, I'm one of them, and it gives me a headache... Haven't seen the new iPhone OS v7 up close yet, but I'm scientifically curious now whether that would affect me or not. I'm surprised Apple didn't have at least ONE tester who reported an issue on that, and I'm surprised they didn't have a variable slider for effects ranging from "none" to "bling it on up".

Then disable the effect, Seriously, iphone people will whine about anything. Grow up!

> Cheap copies of the market leader usually has this effect.

You are at least half wrong. In what way are they cheap?

Silver badge

I can't watch 3D TVs, I tried two types and within around 30 seconds my eyes start to hurt, my vision goes slightly blurred and it gets quite uncomfortable.

Looks like I'll be sticking with Android when my contract comes up for renewel next month!

ha ha, I agree, you are sick, you should see a doctor, ha ha ha

My wife can't watch 3D movies and iOS 7 doesn't make her sick.

Silver badge

>I can't watch 3D TVs

No worries mate nobody else wanted to watch them either which is why that technology is a dead man walking.

Silver badge

Glad to see it's not just me. I'm positively allergic to any UI which makes things wobble, warp, or otherwise animate without VERY good reason. I find even the applications bar on an Imac that warps larger when you poke it with the mouse, makes me feel nauseous. (Not because it's ugly, just because my low-level visual processing doesn't get on with it).

This is also the main reason I run Adblock-plus and Flashblock: to keep moving things that I don't want to visually process, off my screen. Their content (advertizing of greater or lesser relevance) is secondary.

And possibly the reason I still haven't bought a smartphone at all.

Since the inception of OS X 10.0 I followed with amusement yet seriousness about the eye candy and mixed metaphors that the OS introduced, which detracted from the original coveted Apple Human Interface Guidelines. Over time, those problems were erased to an OS that pretty much adhered to those original Jobs-written AHIGs.

Yes I updated to ios7, and boy was I wrong. I am like the others - unlock screen and sudden flash of nausia as everything whooshes into place. I've eliminated all the background effects I can but still this nauseating animation happens. It's a big step back in user interface imo.

Plus why oh why.... On the lock screen, there's an option for emergency calls... Why oh why am I presented with a frikken keypad to amke the call? Who in reality can remember the emgency call number based on where you are in the world? 112 for europe (had to wiki it), 911 in US... Asia? Australasia? The frikken phone knows where I am in the workd, so why not predial it for me?.... If I needed to make an emergency call after an accident in the mountains of Bora Bora and couldn't unlock my phone, am I supposed to know what number to call?

Silver badge

You mean - 0118 999 881 999 119 725..... 3

Silver badge

@admiraljkb "...: the studies I saw put it at 20% on "3D".....

I had a vague feeling that I had seen reports of even higher figures than the 15% I cited. Certainly Madame AF herself cannot cope with "3D" rendering any question of "upgrading" our TV moot to say the least of it! Like you I am surprised that Apple decided to release v7 with this "feature", however, at least one now has an excuse for refusing to even look at this or that mate's latest acquisition!

Silver badge

> Plus why oh why.... On the lock screen, there's an option for emergency calls... Why oh why am I presented with a frikken keypad to amke the call?

For the answer, just ask the hundreds of thousands of people each week or so that make accidental emergency pocket calls from just this feature. My kids ask me why they can't disable it, or at least require the user to type in the number which would lessen the chance of it happening.

The emergency services switch boards around the world are crying out in despair at what is becoming a major issue.

Bronze badge

>Cheap copies of the market leader usually has this effect.

A backhanded complement to Microsoft for Windows 8?

Aside: In my opinion Bob, Android, doesn't have the same stab and twist effect as Windows 8 in this context, namely poor UI's...

FAIL

"Putting parallax effects on something people use while walking is really not a good idea."

Neither is not looking where you're going. That's probably a bigger threat to your health.

Bronze badge

>accidental emergency pocket calls

I don't have a phone, but I wonder YTF people who do carry it in their pocket. Shirley on a lanyard around the neck, in a holster at the ribs, or in a clip on a belt makes more sense.

Facepalm

"Neither is not looking where you're going. That's probably a bigger threat to your health."

Well, if you want to police a new law that bans people from reading things while walking, go ahead and good luck.

Silver badge

> I don't have a phone, but I wonder YTF people who do carry it in their pocket. Shirley on a lanyard around the neck, in a holster at the ribs, or in a clip on a belt makes more sense.

It still happens. "Pocket call" has just become the generic name for this type of incident.

I keep my mobile phone in a pocket on my bumbag but it has happened to me a couple of times.

Anonymous Coward

Not enough

To me it doesn't move enough, well the background anyway. Must be more of the zoom effects and stuff bother some.

Joke

I wonder if Cook will have the balls...

... to pull a Jobs and reply to all the people complaining with "you're just looking at wrong!"

Bronze badge

Americans, so

class action lawsuit in 3, 2, 1...

Silver badge

Re: Americans, so

Unfortunately due to our massive corporatism class action lawsuits are one of the few ways to hold corporations accountable but yes sadly these days they get abused badly by the worlds worst profession (no not drug dealer, lawyer).

Anonymous Coward

oooh, how did I do that?

http://iosguides.net/turn-off-parallax-3d-backgrounds-ios-7/

oh yeah, I used Google.

I'm taking the moral high ground this time and not slating Apple on the basis that they provided a way to turn this "feature" off. Their users on the other hand.....

Re: oooh, how did I do that?

>I'm taking the moral high ground this time and not slating Apple on the basis

>that they provided a way to turn this "feature" off

Foisting cr*p and providing a way to turn it off qualifies for moral high ground. Morality ain't what it used to be.

>Their users on the other hand.....

Nuff said.

That's just parallax. Not zooming, which people are getting sick by. Read the damn article, it even details your 'solution' and says it's not enough.

TRT
Silver badge

I got round it by sticking with iOS 5. I wish I'd stuck with iOS 4 to be honest. I preferred the unlimited wifi location cache as I've got an iPod only and the location services used to work even if off the net. Did they include a switch for that? No. Did they include a switch to let you keep the Google Map? No. Did they include a switch to let you keep the familiar iOS interface? No.

Sick and tired of having the latest and greatest shoved down my throat when I don't actually want it. If any app developer's latest update can't run on iOS 5, then it's bye bye time. At this rate I'll end up back with the pocket diary and papermate that I used between 1978 and 2009 - that seemed to work fine for me.

Silver badge

> Foisting cr*p and providing a way to turn it off qualifies for moral high ground

Hell yes. See: Microsoft and Windows 8.

Thumb Up

Yep, I never upgraded from IOS5 because I wanted to stick with "native" Google Maps rather than have to download the standalone Google maps app.

My concern is that IOS doesn't have patches, just upgrades, so if you need a security fix you get a bunch of features updates too.

Bronze badge

Re: Hell yes. See: Microsoft and Windows 8

Our new Win8 laptops didn't just come with Win7 install media. Since we bought business-grade laptops, they came with the Win7 downgrade helpfully pre-installed.

Downgrade from Win 8 to Win 7 is an option that you have to pay for, by buying the 'pro' version of the software. Retorical Question: Does Apple offer that option?

Big Brother

I think it there to punish the great unwashed masses.

OR I could just be being a prick 'cause my iPhone 4 doesn't have it.

JDX
Gold badge

Since when can unwashed masses afford an iPhone? I am clearly in the wrong career.

Anonymous Coward

Plenty of places

The unwashed masses can certainly afford an iPhone here in Scandinavia, and judging by the number of urchins I see toting them, they exercise that option.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Plenty of places

Yup, same here in Canada

Actually seems that the unwashed masses are more likely to have an iPhone than the well off.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Plenty of places

>Actually seems that the unwashed masses are more likely to have an iPhone than the well off.

Surprising really, given that TKMaxx doesn't stock iPhones but does stock many other designer labels favoured by the unwashed masses.

Silver badge

It wouldn't be an iOS update without some new complaint

I guess you have to expect it when so many people update at once. Android customers don't all get their updates at the same time, so they get dribbled out over months (at least to those lucky enough to be getting updates at all) So a problem affecting 0.1% of people is doesn't get much attention.

A problem affecting 0.1% of the 200+ million who have updated to iOS 7.0 is nearly a quarter million people, all of whom have been affected in the past 7 days. Those who like it or are just sort of 'meh' about it aren't likely to shout from the rooftops, so all you hear about are all the people who are upset.

Re: It wouldn't be an iOS update without some new complaint

>so all you hear about are all the people who are upset.

All you hear about are a tiny fraction of a much larger number of people who are upset: the tiny fraction who take the time and trouble to report it.

Silver badge

If an Android update did that, you would just install a different launcher.

Silver badge

Android

Settings > Developer Options

Drawing section - Window animation scale off, Transition animation scale off, etc. etc..

This is on a stock /Verizon/ ROM, even.

You can do it if you want to.

"I guess you have to expect it when so many people update at once."

hehe. Or maybe the dog ate their homework? Their alarm clock didn't go off? Their speedometer mustn't be working (tap tap)?

Silver badge
Trollface

I wonder...

Is "Rik Myslewski" a nom de plume for one Steven Ballmer - getting himself a new career...

Cliche

"They're holding it wrong"

Joke

Re: Cliche

"They're holding it wrong"

No. They're looking at it in the wrong way.

Sil

A must-have upgrade for beer lovers

Honey I don't feel too well I think I used my iPhone for a little too long.

Silver badge

"So annoying that we can't downgrade"

Somebody call the waambulance for this retard. One has to wonder why these idiots upgrade their phone/OS at the very first chance they get (standing in queues overnight to buy a phone? puleeze) if they are going to go all cry baby when the "upgrade" isn't to their liking,

I have an iphone 4 (I got it for free). It is still on iOS 5. When 6 came out I (sensibly) waited a while for the dust to settle, saw all the whining regarding loss of google maps and other stuff and decided that it sounded more like a downgrade so stayed put on 5.

Sometimes people can be so stupid. Oops, did I say "sometimes"? Stupid me.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums