back to article Fancy facing an Amazon backup beatdown on cold storage spinners?

The Register's storage desk has heard that the demand for cloud archival services has grown to the point where Amazon's rivals are considering creating Glacier-like services. Seagate's cloud-backup subsidiary EVault has been linked to just such an effort, although when El Reg asked, it would not confirm this. Glacier is …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Sil

Wouldn't it be much easier and efficient to write files on standard hard drives and have the metadata on separate ssds?

1. jcrb
      Happy

That's crazy talk!!!

using SSDs I mean. Now storing all the metadata on a nice flash array, that would make some sense.

2. cloudguy

EVault is not the only one...

Well, Glacier-compatible cold storage is also being developed by SageCloud in Boston, MA. The SageCloud founders Jeff Flowers and David Friend are from Carbonite. They are basing their work on the facebook Open Compute Project. SageCloud completed a $10M funding round this summer bringing their total funding to $13M. The company recently signed an agreement with Avnet's Rorke Global Solutions to assemble the SageCloud hardware. SageCloud will make first customer shipments in January 2014. I received an explanation of their cold storage technology under NDA. I think what they are doing for the cold storage/archival market will be well-received in terms of cost, energy-efficiency and performance.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like