back to article App Store ratings mess: What do we like? Sigh, we dunno – fanbois

Apple's App Store has continued to display the odd glitch four days after it suspended all rankings for eight hours on Friday to allow for the smooth introduction of iOS 7. The problem lies with the rankings, which detail the most downloaded apps at any given time. These were frozen on Friday during the launch of the latest …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Temporary Trolling Service

Attention all: This is a temporary mini "troll Apple" article to tide Jasper over due to the current distinct absence of maxi "troll Apple" material. Stuff could just be made up as per the usual strategy, but the problem is that due to recent news doing such appears too much like sour grapes and will just make the Apple users smile. Normal service will be resumed as soon as suitable negatively spin-able material turns up.

1. Micky 1
      FAIL

Re: Temporary Trolling Service

Considering I'm sat here looking at the uk charts on my iPhone with ios7 and have not had this issue since the upgrade and am in the UK i'd say that:

"Currently, the charts on Apple's iTunes Store are broken in Britain, the US, Japan and much of Europe. Instead of the usual list of apps, a message is shown which says: "An error occurred while processing this directive.""

Is a load of BS.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
        Facepalm

Commentard reading comprehension service

From the article...

Currently, the charts (<--- click on this link) on Apple's iTunes Store are broken in Britain, the US, Japan and much of Europe. Instead of the usual list of apps, a message is shown which says: "An error occurred while processing this directive."

... and then later on...

The correct rankings appear to be displayed on the iOS App Store application, however.

You used the App Store on the phone instead of looking at the website, didn't you?

1. jonathanb Silver badge
          WTF?

Re: Commentard reading comprehension service

Does anyone look at the App Store on the browser? Does anyone even know how to look at the App Store on the browser?

2. heyrick Silver badge

Re: Commentard reading comprehension service

Screenshot here - http://i.imgur.com/8ayJbk4.jpg

2. Piro Silver badge

Click the website.

It doesn't work. Please learn to read.

1. Micky 1

My mistake, I made the assumption this was an issue for apple users, so commented too soon when I found it working in the only place any Apple user will search for apps.

1. Don Jefe

To be fair, for the few apps I've downloaded, I found and researched them on the web before I purchasing. The App Store doesn't provide nearly as much information about some apps as a web page.

I also think the search functionality in the App Store is pretty crap. I guess it is OK for finding games or other twaddle, but when I look for something more specialized I get 23 options of varying irrelevance. A quick look on Google turns something suitable right up; if it exists.

2. gcla72
      FAIL

My iPhone has just drowned!

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Might

Fandroids are really suffering pain at the moment so they try to cling to every tiny Apple event and find fault any fault, but hey do I care? No, let them suffer the pain.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Might

Fandroids are really suffering pain at the moment so they try to cling to every tiny Apple event and find fault any fault, but hey do I care? No, let them suffer the pain.

Lawl.

Something must really have gotten up your arse. Probably Android.

Oh hang on, no, that overtook a while ago, didn't it?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Apple users in a nutshell

"How do I know what to download if I don't know what everyone else is doing?"

Baaaa!

1. silent_count

Re: Apple users in a nutshell

Well I though it would have been intentional: Since we know that the iSheeples will worship every app which we permit them to download, the onerous chore of rating apps has been removed to streamline the user experience.

2. Fink-Nottle
      Holmes

"How do I know what to download if I don't know what everyone else is doing?"

Just see what ElReg commentators are currently whinging about, and download that.

Baaaa-humbug!

3. ThomH

Yeah, next thing you know those sheep will want search engines to order their results so that those other people think are more relevant appear closer to the top. The mindless fools should click through every result and make their own mind up.

3. Frank Bough

Wow

The Reg has now managed to wear right through the bottom of the barrel.

1. Ted Treen
      Megaphone

Re: Wow

Don't you believe it:- you ain't seen nuthin' yet...

4. Cliff

The Register contacted Apple but have yet to receive a reply.

Does El Reg ever receive a reply from Apple? I thought you were on their block/unfriend list. Can't think why...

1. Not That Andrew
      Big Brother

Re: The Register contacted Apple but have yet to receive a reply.

Yup, ever since the "Jagwire" incident.

1. Cliff

^^^ Who needs a sense of humour with a capitalisation of billions, I guess?

1. Don Jefe
          Happy

Everybody needs a sense of humor. If someone can't laugh at something then they're in over their heads.

It is something to think about next time your boss or colleague can't see the humor in some problem...

5. BigAndos
    Trollface

I love how the comments section for any article related to either Apple or Android immediately degenerates into a fandroid vs fanboi flame war. I have an iPhone and a nexus 7. I like both of them, they are both well engineered and easy to use pieces of kit. Am I allowed to make comments on these articles?

1. M Gale

Sega Vs Nintendo

See above.

Of course, now there's Sonic games on the Nintendo (3)DS. Never thought I'd see that happen.

I'm now waiting for the Marylin Manson & Cliff Richard concert to be announced. Think they'd make a nice duet?

6. RyokuMas
    Stop

Four days? Bah, Windows Phone developer dashboard is manages that sort of downtime on a frighteningly regular basis!

7. gnufrontier

What to download ?

I recommend Backdoor. It measures the amount of methane you contribute to the environment in a day. It's free but for 4.95 you can get the paid version which comes with a phone holster to put inside your underwear.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like