A proposed submarine cable for New Zealand has signed TE SubCom as its build contractor. The Hawaiki Cable would link New Zealand to Australia and Hawaii, providing an alternative to the Southern Cross Cable Network (SCCN), currently the Kiwis' only direct link to American destinations. According to Computerworld New Zealand, …
Any initiative to get more affordable capacity down this way is to be applauded. Now we can only hope that the various network operators involved can play nicely together so we all benefit through lower prices and lower latency/higher speed international service.
I can only imagine that residents of the various islands along the route will be pleased, but who will pay to hook them up? Hmm... telecommuting from New Caledonia! I think I need to jump on this one.
- Game Theory The agony and ecstasy of SteamOS: WHERE ARE MY GAMES?
- Review Is it an iPad? Is it a MacBook Air? No, it's a Surface Pro 3
- Hello, police, El Reg here. Are we a bunch of terrorists now?
- Intel's Raspberry Pi rival Galileo can now run Windows
- Microsoft and HTC are M8s again: New One mobe sports WinPhone