A proposed submarine cable for New Zealand has signed TE SubCom as its build contractor. The Hawaiki Cable would link New Zealand to Australia and Hawaii, providing an alternative to the Southern Cross Cable Network (SCCN), currently the Kiwis' only direct link to American destinations. According to Computerworld New Zealand, …
Any initiative to get more affordable capacity down this way is to be applauded. Now we can only hope that the various network operators involved can play nicely together so we all benefit through lower prices and lower latency/higher speed international service.
I can only imagine that residents of the various islands along the route will be pleased, but who will pay to hook them up? Hmm... telecommuting from New Caledonia! I think I need to jump on this one.
- Mounties always get their man: Heartbleed 'hacker', 19, CUFFED
- Analysis Oh no, Joe: WinPhone users already griping over 8.1 mega-update
- Leaked pics show EMBIGGENED iPhone 6 screen
- Opportunity selfie: Martian winds have given the spunky ol' rover a spring cleaning
- OK, we get the message, Microsoft: Windows Defender splats 1000s of WinXP, Server 2k3 PCs