Feeds

back to article Deep inside the iPhone 5s lurk a few surprises

The gleeful geeks at iFixit and ChipWorks have torn apart Apple's latest flagship iPhone, the 5s, and inside they found a lot of glue and a few surprises – including the manufacturer of the A7 processor and the source of the sensor-wrangling M7 chip that was much touted at the rollout of Apple's latest smartphones last week. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

I wonder what

20 year old me would have thought of all this. That was 40 years ago.

Re: I wonder what

You ve got at least 15years on me........it's been a long time coming....... Roll on the next generation of tech. Can't wait :)

Anonymous Coward

@poopypants

Since you have made it clear you are 60 or thereabouts, I'm now worried your handle may not have been chosen to be ironic.

Silver badge

Aye. My first job was in Marine Radio, with power tetrodes for the output stages, and receivers with 21 valves in. The radars were semi-transistorised.

The first colour TV I bought had 11 active devices, excluding the voltage multiplier but including the CRT itself. My latest has over 3 million transistors.

Silver badge

Battery life

My perception on battery life with an iPhone 5, holds charge well at first but once down to 80% it depletes more quickly.

Average power consumption before the upgrade would leave me with 63%

Average power consumption after upgrade leaves me with 53% and that is on a quiet day.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Battery life

Bit soon to tell isn't it - after all it was only released on the 18th so you would have 2 full days to test it so far and it would not take much more 'playing' to explain that difference.

Anonymous Coward

An average, but quieter than average, day?

Silver badge

80% left...

Or is that what the screen is lying to you?

Anonymous Coward

It's all to do with heat. If you do a lot of things that get the device hot (gaming) then the battery degrades faster.

Silver badge

Samsung processor

If they were feeling frustrated at all of apples patent trolling and attempting to screw then over at every turn, they could have such fun with the chip fab.

But then apple do seem to be doing a pretty decent job of disappointing their devotees at the moment, probably no point...

Bronze badge

Re: Samsung processor

As far as I see it, the Apple-Samsung patent spat is free advertising for Samsung. People who want Apple will buy Apple, everyone else now has Samsung front-of-mind as the first Android option.

Most people I know who rock the Apple kit bought it because their friends did, the rest are devs/IT who need it for testing and the vast majority use an Android phone in their personal lives.

Phones are now a commodity product, even most apps are bullshit and the most useful non-productivity ones could be cut down to run as HTML5 web apps. The most likely moneymaker in the future is the content sales and distribution, everything else is quickly becoming run of the mill.

Anonymous Coward

What rubbish only and idiot would build their app with HTML5 it runs so slowly compared to a native app.

You obviously know b@gger all about real app development HTML5 are so clunky and slow even on new kit plus you can't use a local database or have access to all the phones hardware using HTML5.

I travel into London every day and people coming in from Sussex and Surrey all seem to have apple devices, then the train I change onto from north Kent have Samung.

The type of device your friends have is more likely to be due to your geographic location and demographic than a national trend.

I walked passed the Regent st store today (@ 8:05 am) and the queue was much larger than last years launch of the iPhone 5

Silver badge

>>the Apple-Samsung patent spat is free advertising for Samsung.<<

Yeah, that's probably why Apple are being aggressive patent trolls, to give Samsung free advertising. That, and in an attempt to legally injunct sales of Samsung phone in the USA...but probably more to give them 'free' (as in expensive international lawyer time) advertising, sure.

Out here in the forgotton wastelands beyond watford, the company hands out iPhones to the dirty mishapen wretches it employs. The apple phones are so marvelous that over three quarters of us have subsequently bought android devices from our own meagre wages. On monday I will take a glue gun to my samsung's battery so that it can once again be as technically advanced as the latest iPhone.

Gimp

As someone who went from a Blackberry (HATED), to Droid (Semi-Hated) to an iPhone 4S (actually really like), I have to disagree with your anti-fanboi comments. Like most iPhone people, I find the integration and interoperability a huge plus. The "just works" is what a lot of Apple fans care about. The 4S is the first phone that actually works well for me without having to cycle power, remove batteries to reset, deal with laggy processors, etc.

Anonymous Coward

at the core of your Apple, is a Samsung heart - that's the only revenge Fandroids need.

To be fair, you haven't used Windows Phone 8 which is rather good.

This "just works" is BS. I get sick of hearing it - tell it to the Applerati who moan at me that their Mac crashed.

If you've stared at the swirly beachball while Mountian Lion's having a shit-fit, you'll know what I mean. Windows 7 AND Windows 8 "just work" as well as anything spewed out from Cupertino's satanic sphincter. So does most Linux.

Some people like Apple, some people don't. Some people can be objective and critical of EVERYONE'S eco system with no loyalty to any brand and without following quasi religious dogma. I use THEM ALL and on a good day, love them all and on a bad day hate them all....EQUALLY.

Silver badge

iPhone just works? integration?

Sure IF all your kit is Apple, but as soon as you step outside the apple ecosystem you find things called standards... which means I can just as easily stream via DLNA to my Samsung TV as I can to my parents Panasonic, etc...

Standards mean my android phone needs no software on Windows or Linux to transfer files, yet on mac I do and then I still fight to get it to work...

Standards, something Apple likes to ignore...

A/C said: "You obviously know b@gger all about real app development HTML5 are so clunky and slow even on new kit plus you can't use a local database or have access to all the phones hardware using HTML5."

Hybrid apps can use a local DB and much of the devices' hardware. Also, done correctly, they can run perfectly well on all but the oldest of devices. I think you're the one who knows bugger all about 'real app development', in this day and age at least. Also, you could do with brushing up on your grammar by the looks of it.

Bronze badge

>What rubbish only and idiot would build their app with HTML5 it runs so slowly compared to a native app.

Howdy, Idiot Number 1 here. Funny, the ones I made zip and pop like an iPhone commercial after the edited sequences. Guess I should have listened to the 'experts' out there. Instead, I wrote my own JavaScript and cut down reaction times below 10% of what the average library/jQuery user sees.

Simply rewriting loops using while (counter--) {//loop here} is a massive performance increase. I can do 30000+ string comparisons in around 7ms whereas it was well over 100ms using an optimized for loop, and that is on old kit (note timing is only accurate +/- 15ms in JS apparently, so take that for what it is worth).

Likewise, using SVG for graphics and graphing along with CSS sprites when well done give a very rich visual response that doesn't kill the speed (assuming you know how to use these correctly). This is a benefit of not having to support older IE (something I accepted begrudgingly after using the D3 library - d3js.org)

>you can't use a local database

Someone please inform the AC of localStorage and AppCache.

>or have access to all the phones hardware using HTML5

Very true, but I can still geolocate, use audio, camera, video, and access device orientation...

The above notwithstanding, I certainly agree that serious apps for working or social BS will definitely benefit from being native, the same does not apply for smaller, more limited-in-scope apps that are likely to be made in house for a specific task. It really depends on what is needed, something many devs cannot comprehend as they start copying what they saw someone do rather than doing what they need to do for that specific project (lets ignore Java coders trying to write JavaScript - it is often worse than what 'designers' get up to with the jQuery).

Furthermore, one can make hybrid apps that are mostly HTML5, but run inside a native app which is used only for the parts that absolutely cannot be otherwise accessed. Once again, for smaller specific apps this could be an excellent development shortcut while still having much of the code reusable for desktop/laptop use.

About devices, here in the Pacific Northwest, it seems to be based on whether one is a woman, or a 'creative' type being extremely likely to be iPhone users and this seems to be pretty stable across most of Canada according to my telecom 'sources'. I never mentioned my friends, my observations are based the people I know who range from adolescents to the aged and span all but the most extremes of the economic spectrum and live in all manner abodes from country to downtown condo. So demographic, yes, location, not so much.

Bronze badge

@ notdavidbailey

Nice, terse (and vice versa).

Beyond that, clever use of arrays and objects combined with localStorage and AppCache cover all but the most extreme use cases for storage, organization, and access of/to data. I find it odd that the people who have trouble using SQL as a server DB are the same ones who try to replicate it inside the browser/client environment.

Anonymous Coward

Samsung is a huge company with lots of divisions.

Anonymous Coward

It's not a Samsung chip any more than the iPhone is a Foxconn product. They are just the people who build it.

Anyone can make ICs.

Bronze badge

>Anyone can make ICs.

Perhaps, but how many companies can competitively build a 28nm hi-K chip in volume? Last I checked somewhere in the 5-10 range and delivery can be spotty.

"Yeah, that's probably why Apple are being aggressive patent trolls, to give Samsung free advertising."

Of course that's not what Apple *intended* Cliff, but that's what they *did*

When the ban on the first Galaxy Tab was lifted in Australia everyone knew about the tablet before they could sell it - far far better than Samsung could have done themselves.

Just like the court action against Microsoft all those years ago for "stealing Apple's interface". Coverage of the court action basically equated the interface of Windows with Mac in the eyes of the public, even if there are significant differences. People looked at 2 computers, saw one was half the price and in their minds the interface must be so similar the more expensive one sued the cheaper one.

But shhh don't tell Apple, its far too much fun watching them hand over mind share in court rooms while they think they are getting a win :-)

Bronze badge
Pint

Re: Chet Mannly

Bingo, good sir, have an up-vote and a virtual beer on me!

Anonymous Coward

Bad luck, where I work the first lot of smart phones were all androids (almost all Samsungs of various sorts), but the sucked sooo bad that the next updates everyone had a choice, iPhone or Droid, and we went 100% iPhone. So the latest update, with samples to test, 98% iPhone again. Maybe you should work somewhere with better discrimination ?

Bronze badge

Re: you can't use a local database

Then it can't be a html5 compliant browser you are using, android and apple devices certainly support local databases as do the major desktop browsers.

Anonymous Coward

Badder luck. Where I work the first lot of smart phones were all iPHones but with no cut and paste or mms the sucked soooooooooo bad that the next updates everyone had a choice, iPHone or droid and we went 110% android. So the latest update, with samples to test, 130% android again. Maybe you should just post badly constructed nonsense you make up?

Silver badge

'If they were feeling frustrated at all of apples patent trolling and attempting to screw then over at every turn, they could have such fun with the chip fab.'

Has anyone with an electron microscope to hand looked for any rude messages about Apple on the silicon?

Silver badge

Yeah, that's probably why Apple are being aggressive patent trolls, to give Samsung free advertising. That, and in an attempt to legally injunct sales of Samsung phone in the USA...but probably more to give them 'free' (as in expensive international lawyer time) advertising, sure.

I don't think he implied that it was intentional on Apple's part...

Bronze badge

Will have to pass on this one

I have no love for biometrics reading hardware in the devices I buy.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Will have to pass on this one

You fear the knock on the door do you not!

Silver badge
Facepalm

Re: Will have to pass on this one

It won't be long before pretty well all mobile phones will sport a fingerprint reader. You had better buy a raft of phones now because in the future you won't have the option.

Bronze badge

re: biometrics

Reports on the web say that you can use any appropriate ridged surface (big toe or even cat's pawprints), so just bring kitty around with you.

If you are truly paranoid, copy somebody else's prints and bring a copy of them around on a jelly baby. Gives plausible deniability and a delicious snack in one!

Anonymous Coward

5S battery life B.S.

5S speed is great but not battery life. Try iphone 6 maybe.

Silver badge

Re: 5S battery life B.S.

I seem to remember the same complaints when IOS5 came out. A fix or two later and they were forgotten. Perhaps the same will happen here?

Anonymous Coward

Re: 5S battery life B.S.

When Apple dropped the number from the iPad and called it "the new iPad", isn't it about time they call the iPhone just "the new iPhone"? We NEED confusion!

Bronze badge

glue and screw

Glue in the battery, screw the customer when it has to be replaced.

Bronze badge

Re: glue and screw

Glue in the battery, screw the customer when it has to be replaced.

'Tis the Apple way!!

Silver badge

I still cant figure why the battery has to be glued in .....

are the iphone designers scared it may come loose during use?

or does removing the battery make the phone crash or reset or something?

Or is it just to f*** the customer over?

after all, glue costs money and time to apply it. They could save that money by not bothering, but then they wouldn't be able to ding their customers for a whole new phone, would they?

Anonymous Coward

I have had numerous interactions with apple, via their stores, and have only felt valued, and well looked after.

I don't think they are changing their policy.

M,.

Anonymous Coward

have only felt valued, and well looked after.

I don't go to stores to feel valued, but to get value. Apple products are significantly lacking in that area.

Anonymous Coward

Re: I go to the iStore to be validated

and drive a big car so people think I'm someone special.

Silver badge

Trollfest

Another trollfest from El Reg. Why do so many who apparently don't care rush to leave vituperative comments?

If you hate it that much, buy something else - or do you believe that anyone whose views are different to yours is deserving of abuse?

Re: Trollfest

Oh the irony. "If you hate it that much, buy something else - or do you believe that anyone whose views are different to yours is deserving of abuse?"

You obviously do.

First sentence: "Another trollfest from El Reg."

Silver badge
Holmes

@Ashton Black

Not at all Old Lad

A collection of ill-thought out comments which basically say nothing is nothing more than a trollfest. I am perfectly happy for others to hold views which oppose those I hold - and I respect those views.

I find it hard to summon up much respect for those who leave juvenile "Yar boo sucks-Apple are all stinkypoos" comments.

My first comment "Another trollfest from El Reg." is perfectly valid and it is not their holding different views which I find tiresome, but the immaturity of the third-form manner in which they're expressed.

Clear now?

Anonymous Coward

@ Ted and ash

indeed, its the only reason I read apple articles and comments.

Re: @ Ted and ash

@AC

And it's the reason I don't bother reading Reg all that much anymore, and very rarely the comments.

I make an exception this time, and guess what - nothing changed, and in fact seems to have only gotten more puerile.

Why is it that any article on an iPhone immediately draws in comments from people whose only contribution is "I prefer Samsung"? Seriously, this crap has been going on since the Spectrum and Commodore 64. If other people want to spend their cash on stuff that doesn't appeal to you does it really invalidate your own purchasing decisions?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.