Feeds

back to article Twerking 'ell! Google BUMPs and grinds way to another app slurp

Google has bought mobile app maker Bump – the outfit behind photo-sharing tech Flock – for an undisclosed sum. A number of reports have said that the acquisition price tag was anything between $30m and $60m, but Google has not confirmed the figure. Bump CEO David Lieb, who co-founded the company in 2008, said in a blog post: …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Google Glasses

Will this be re branded as "Glasgow Kiss" ?

Anonymous Coward

Hmmm, Bump seems... pointless, and Flock has just as many 1 star reviews as 5 star reviews...

Looks like they could do with some re-engineering...

Silver badge

Maybe Bump has patents?

There seems little point to Google buying them otherwise, since they've hitched their wagon to NFC and Bump allows "tap to share" type of functionality similar to what Android does with NFC (aka S-Beam for Samsung)

So in a couple years these apps will be listed on Google's spring cleaning list.

JLV
Bronze badge

How about a twerking icon?

With this article's Disney-girl Miley as the pic, of course?

Relevance to IT unclear, but could be categorized as "refreshingly bad taste, creatively done".

Silver badge

Does anyone know what "innovations in math, data processing, and algorithms" Lieb might be talking about? A web search didn't turn anything up.

Looks like the Bump tech consists of file exchange through a server, triggered and keyed by data from the accelerometer and possibly other sensors. Lots of folks have used the accelerometer data as a key of some sort, for example for Bluetooth pairing. I'd call this a moderately-innovative approach, and I don't see any evidence of new algorithms, much less "innovations in math".

Mostly Lieb's insight seems to be in what gets gadget fans excited. ("Lieb's app works like everything should", gushes one self-involved ninny. Translation: "Lieb's app works the way I want it to work, and everyone must agree with me because I'm so hip".)

This topic is closed for new posts.