back to article Radioaficionados españoles: Echadnos una mano

Este lunes 16 de septiembre a las 2 de la tarde el equipo LOHAN (Low Orbit Helium Assisted Navigator) lanzará un globo meteorológico cerca de Piedrahita (Avila). Necesitamos la ayuda de los radioaficiondos españoles y portugueses para recibir señales de nuestros cuatro transmisores a bordo: CHAV (434.075MHz), BUZZ (434.200MHz …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge

That's easy for you to say.

GJC

Silver badge
WTF?

Who are Buzz and Zurg?

Inquiring minds, and all that...

Silver badge

Re: Who are Buzz and Zurg?

Toy Story 2.

Silver badge
Boffin

Yo quero! Vaya con la cienca!

(he said, hoping his poor Portuguese translates into Spinach)

Ethethethetheth sminky pinky Chris Waddle.

Flame

SCORCHIO!

You beat me to it :-)

[icon for heat]

¿qué?

Silver badge

¿qué?

It's all Greek to me.

Anonymous Coward

Re: ¿qué?

> It's all Greek to me.

It's all Spanish to me. :-(

Headmaster

Shouldn't that be "Echarnos una mano"?

Anonymous Coward

> Shouldn't that be "Echarnos una mano"?

No. As someone else has pointed out, "echad" is the correct form for the 2nd person plural imperative of "echar", which is the infinitive.

Having said that, in informal Spanish the infinitive replacing the imperative is often heard in these cases, so you might have well heard "echarnos una mano" from a native speaker. Strictly, it is incorrect, but widely used and always understood.

And by the way, there was no reason for the downvotes, in my opinion. It was a perfectly legitimate question.

Anonymous Coward

Forgot to say:

Lester, "imagen" is feminine. Therefore, "las" imágenes rather than "los". Otherwise, very impressed, as a fellow non-native speaker. :-)

Silver badge
Pint

> Shouldn't that be "Echarnos una mano"?

No. As someone else has pointed out, "echad" is the correct form for the 2nd person plural imperative of "echar", which is the infinitive.

Technically, it would be "Échenos una mano!" as yes "Echarnos una mano" sounds weird due to the infinitive. But in Spaniard Spanish, they still use the formal 2nd person (think of the Spanish version of "thee") so it is correct for El Reg to use "Echadnos una mano". :)

¡Qué buen español escriben en El Reg!

(Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Blast - I was in a rush. Pido disculpas ;-)

Silver badge
Headmaster

Shouldn't that be "Echarnos una mano"?

Definitivamente, ¡no!

'Echar' => Infinitive

'Echad' => Imperative

Anonymous Coward

Una cerveza, por favor

I had radioaficionados españoles once- they were delicioius. Unfortunately, the echadnos una manos they were served with weren't so pleasant, and a few minutes later I was asking "?Donde estan los servicios?"

Silver badge
Joke

Re: Una cerveza, por favor

Oh man. You just reminded me of an incident that some friends had when they went to Barcelona a couple of years ago. They arrive at a hotel at 3am and they're looking if they have rooms available. So they decide to ask if the hotel is "in Service". The dialog went like this:

Friend: Hay servicio?

Hotel Attendant: Si, en el último piso

(all of them start going upstairs)

H: ¡Oigan! ¡Pero sólo de uno en uno!

(cue puzzled look)

This is when they all found out that "servicio" in Spain usually means "bathroom", so the attendant didn't understand "are you in service" but "do you have bathrooms?"

¡Vaya señor Anónimo! ¿Os dieron tapas de almeja trasnochada?

Anonymous Coward

@Lester

¿Cae la lluvia en España principalmente en el llano?

Bronze badge

Re: @Lester

el piloto va a caer en el llano, parece

Silver badge

Gesundheit!

Bronze badge

¡MIERDA!

Que viva España Cabrones.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums