Feeds

back to article Tell me why I don't like Moon days: Bob Geldof heads into SPAAACE

Sir Bob Geldof has dubbed himself the "first rock astronaut" after confirming that he'll be on a trip to space in 2015 with the Space Expedition Corporation. Bob Geldof The Boomtown Rat said he was given the chance to go on the trip after his band agreed to perform at a charity ball where further flights on the same trip will …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge

Tell me why I don't like Moon days

That is bad, putting out of your misery bad.

Silver badge
Go

Re: Tell me why I don't like Moon days

You're wrong - that is possibly the best sub-heading El Reg has ever produced!

Silver badge
Boffin

You're both right.

It's so bad, it's good :)

Silver badge

... and probably the only BTR hit that most people could name. [ scrabble for Wiki ensues, followed by "what about ...." ]

Although there was the intriguingly titled (I Never Loved) Eva (von???) Braun on Tonic for the Troops. Maybe after this, he will feel better about the family name?

Bronze badge

It's redundant.

So bad it's bad.

Silver badge

At least they knew the only hit Boomtown Rats ever had.

Midge Ure, the lead singer of the vastly more successful band Ultravox, at the time was organizing a giant project called "Live Aid", and, killing two birds with one stone, Ure hired down-on-his-luck Geldof to handle the press contacts so Ure could get on with the organizing.

And the rest is history.

Silver badge
Joke

If we ask nicely...

Do you think they would leave him up there?

Anonymous Coward

Re: If we ask nicely...

I volunteered him for the mars one way trip.

Anonymous Coward

Re: If we ask nicely...

Do you think they would leave him up there?

Now that would be a (double) charitable event I'd contribute to..

In space

no one can hear Bob Geldof

Anonymous Coward

Shush Cowturd, dont ruin the plan! He will catch on to us!

The Ultimate charity fundraiser

In your face Mr "I'm going to Everest base camp to raise money for orphans"!

I AM GOING TO FUCKING SPACE!

Silver badge

Sir Bob Geldof to go into space

Any word on if he's coming back again?

He is constantly in our faces about giving money to charity, I say he should auction off his own seat on this space flight. After all, what is more important, him going on a 5 minute trip into space, or food for 1000's of children in Africa. I will let Bob decide

auction off his own seat? Bottom Rats?

"He is constantly in our faces about giving money to charity"

Churlish much? I've not heard Bob say much about charity since Live8. Hardly "constantly in our faces".

If someone offers you a trip to space, you take it.

Anonymous Coward

All that charity stuff was just to further his career.

Bronze badge

Drum roll............

And direct from Space hosted by the renown Sir Bob Geldolph our first Charity Telethon

Joke

Good good...

Just don't bring him back...there's nice lads !

Silver badge

rejected sub heading

MoonTown Rat?

Bronze badge

Starvin' Marvin' In Space?

Beat that, Bono

Anonymous Coward

Lynx operates under VFR?

So no flights from Ireland then!

Bronze badge

Ryanair have got it all sewn up. Fifth euro to get into space, a meeelllion euro surcharge if you need oxygen.

Silver badge

"Ryanair have got it all sewn up. Fifth euro to get into space, a meeelllion euro surcharge if you need oxygen."

Not to mention that Ryanair's scheduled trips to Mars for only 50p (plus taxes) actually land on Phobos.

Hmm

This firm hasn't actually launched anything yet... (I don't count that small homebuilt kit thing they strapped a small rocket to - the "Rocket Racer")

Anonymous Coward

35 years later and he's still dining out on I Don't Like Mondays.

Why does the media insist on calling him Sir Bob? It's a KBE!

This post has been deleted by its author

Mushroom

Agree, we don't say Sir Paul Hewson (Bono), Sir Rudolph Giuliani, Sir Henry Kissinger , Sir Alan Greenspan or even for El Reg readers to shudder Sir Bill Gates, as none of have Queen Elizabeth II as their monarch so why should we call them knighthood prefix.

Oh joy the Messiah returneth..... again!!!

Just as he drifts back into obscurity, we now have to listen to him prattling on and preening his feathers again now for the next 15 years. Maybe they could make it a one way trip for him.... accidentally open the the airlock perhaps, we can only hope.

He's so modern.

Facepalm

May I be the first to say.....

RATTTSSS IN SPACCCCEEEE....

Actually the first Irishman in space was supposed to be one Tom Higgins, who operated the premium rate phone line 'Irish Psychics Live' and predicted in 2007 that he would be the first Irishman in space.

http://www.independent.ie/regionals/wicklowpeople/news/irish-psychics-live-boss-says-position-is-rightfully-his-27830175.html

Not much of a psychic, is he?

I'm pretty sure that NASA have send their fair share if Irishman up to space. Now if we're to qualified it as the first Irish Rock Musician in space...

Bronze badge

It had to be said

Just another old rock floating around space

First Irishman in space? That's got to be wrong...

I swear that was Mr Leary at No.8 who tried to repair his gas cooker...

Silver badge

Well, there's an upside to all this...

...in space no one can hear him sing.

Anonymous Coward

First Irishman in space? Well, maybe.

The problem with the flight Geldof's been offered is that the Lynx spaceplane he's supposed to go up in hasn't flown and doesn't seem to exist yet outside of CGI mockups.

XCOR says it hopes to fly 100 people into space next year. Hard to see how that's going to work, given the complete absence of flight testing so far.

Virgin Galactic/Scaled Composite's SpaceShipTwo first flew on glide tests in October 2010, didn't make its first powered flight until this April, and still isn't in service - although Branson says it will start public service on 25th December 2013. Look at that long development period and bear in mind SpaceShipTwo's based on an earlier design: Scaled Composites had experience, and it's still taken them flippin' ages.

What's the betting that some other Irishman's bought a ticket from Virgin Galactic and will beat Bob to it?

Perhaps he could take Bono with him

Silver badge

"Perhaps he could take Bono with him"

Wasn't this all a cartoon in Viz? If life is mirroring art, then Sting will be next, on a journey to the bottom of the Marianas Trench.

When we've proved the concept (and made sure these people don't come back) then perhaps we can start sending politicians. I'd like Clegg, Cameron, and that Millibloke to be fired at the sun in a cermonial start to the "production" operations.

Bronze badge

Space but not as we know it Jim

Then hes more likely to make it into space on the Simpsons then

Friggin celebs on charity jollies telling us how spend our hard-earned....

Tch!

"The flights have been organised by Space Expedition Corporation and World Privilege Card, which are raising the money for Arms Around The Child"

Why don't they just give all that cash to the charity, solve the kids-with-HIV thing and buy their own space fights?

This topic is closed for new posts.