back to article Tell me why I don't like Moon days: Bob Geldof heads into SPAAACE

Sir Bob Geldof has dubbed himself the "first rock astronaut" after confirming that he'll be on a trip to space in 2015 with the Space Expedition Corporation. Bob Geldof The Boomtown Rat said he was given the chance to go on the trip after his band agreed to perform at a charity ball where further flights on the same trip …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Tell me why I don't like Moon days

That is bad, putting out of your misery bad.

1. Annihilator
      Go

Re: Tell me why I don't like Moon days

You're wrong - that is possibly the best sub-heading El Reg has ever produced!

1. FartingHippo
        Boffin

You're both right.

It's so bad, it's good :)

1. Richard Wharram

So bad it's bad.

2. Pete 2 Silver badge

... and probably the only BTR hit that most people could name. [ scrabble for Wiki ensues, followed by "what about ...." ]

Although there was the intriguingly titled (I Never Loved) Eva (von???) Braun on Tonic for the Troops. Maybe after this, he will feel better about the family name?

2. Captain Hogwash

It's redundant.

3. Vociferous

At least they knew the only hit Boomtown Rats ever had.

Midge Ure, the lead singer of the vastly more successful band Ultravox, at the time was organizing a giant project called "Live Aid", and, killing two birds with one stone, Ure hired down-on-his-luck Geldof to handle the press contacts so Ure could get on with the organizing.

And the rest is history.

2. Anomalous Cowturd
    Joke

If we ask nicely...

Do you think they would leave him up there?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: If we ask nicely...

I volunteered him for the mars one way trip.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: If we ask nicely...

Do you think they would leave him up there?

Now that would be a (double) charitable event I'd contribute to..

3. Pete the not so great

In space

no one can hear Bob Geldof

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Shush Cowturd, dont ruin the plan! He will catch on to us!

5. ISYS

The Ultimate charity fundraiser

In your face Mr "I'm going to Everest base camp to raise money for orphans"!

I AM GOING TO FUCKING SPACE!

6. Crisp

Sir Bob Geldof to go into space

Any word on if he's coming back again?

7. nuclearstar

He is constantly in our faces about giving money to charity, I say he should auction off his own seat on this space flight. After all, what is more important, him going on a 5 minute trip into space, or food for 1000's of children in Africa. I will let Bob decide

1. Martin H Watson

auction off his own seat? Bottom Rats?

2. Code Monkey

"He is constantly in our faces about giving money to charity"

Churlish much? I've not heard Bob say much about charity since Live8. Hardly "constantly in our faces".

If someone offers you a trip to space, you take it.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

All that charity stuff was just to further his career.

8. Arachnoid

Drum roll............

And direct from Space hosted by the renown Sir Bob Geldolph our first Charity Telethon

9. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Good good...

Just don't bring him back...there's nice lads !

10. ukgnome

rejected sub heading

MoonTown Rat?

11. wolfetone Silver badge

Starvin' Marvin' In Space?

12. Mister_C

Beat that, Bono

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lynx operates under VFR?

So no flights from Ireland then!

1. returnmyjedi

Ryanair have got it all sewn up. Fifth euro to get into space, a meeelllion euro surcharge if you need oxygen.

1. Annihilator

"Ryanair have got it all sewn up. Fifth euro to get into space, a meeelllion euro surcharge if you need oxygen."

Not to mention that Ryanair's scheduled trips to Mars for only 50p (plus taxes) actually land on Phobos.

14. madmalc

Hmm

This firm hasn't actually launched anything yet... (I don't count that small homebuilt kit thing they strapped a small rocket to - the "Rocket Racer")

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

35 years later and he's still dining out on I Don't Like Mondays.

Why does the media insist on calling him Sir Bob? It's a KBE!

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. eurobloke
      Mushroom

Agree, we don't say Sir Paul Hewson (Bono), Sir Rudolph Giuliani, Sir Henry Kissinger , Sir Alan Greenspan or even for El Reg readers to shudder Sir Bill Gates, as none of have Queen Elizabeth II as their monarch so why should we call them knighthood prefix.

16. CmdrX3

Oh joy the Messiah returneth..... again!!!

Just as he drifts back into obscurity, we now have to listen to him prattling on and preening his feathers again now for the next 15 years. Maybe they could make it a one way trip for him.... accidentally open the the airlock perhaps, we can only hope.

17. Dan Dyer

He's so modern.

18. Field Marshal Von Krakenfart
    Facepalm

May I be the first to say.....

RATTTSSS IN SPACCCCEEEE....

Actually the first Irishman in space was supposed to be one Tom Higgins, who operated the premium rate phone line 'Irish Psychics Live' and predicted in 2007 that he would be the first Irishman in space.

http://www.independent.ie/regionals/wicklowpeople/news/irish-psychics-live-boss-says-position-is-rightfully-his-27830175.html

Not much of a psychic, is he?

19. BigFire

I'm pretty sure that NASA have send their fair share if Irishman up to space. Now if we're to qualified it as the first Irish Rock Musician in space...

20. Arachnoid

It had to be said

Just another old rock floating around space

21. Rob2621

First Irishman in space? That's got to be wrong...

I swear that was Mr Leary at No.8 who tried to repair his gas cooker...

22. Vociferous

Well, there's an upside to all this...

...in space no one can hear him sing.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

First Irishman in space? Well, maybe.

The problem with the flight Geldof's been offered is that the Lynx spaceplane he's supposed to go up in hasn't flown and doesn't seem to exist yet outside of CGI mockups.

XCOR says it hopes to fly 100 people into space next year. Hard to see how that's going to work, given the complete absence of flight testing so far.

Virgin Galactic/Scaled Composite's SpaceShipTwo first flew on glide tests in October 2010, didn't make its first powered flight until this April, and still isn't in service - although Branson says it will start public service on 25th December 2013. Look at that long development period and bear in mind SpaceShipTwo's based on an earlier design: Scaled Composites had experience, and it's still taken them flippin' ages.

What's the betting that some other Irishman's bought a ticket from Virgin Galactic and will beat Bob to it?

24. jof62

Perhaps he could take Bono with him

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Perhaps he could take Bono with him"

Wasn't this all a cartoon in Viz? If life is mirroring art, then Sting will be next, on a journey to the bottom of the Marianas Trench.

When we've proved the concept (and made sure these people don't come back) then perhaps we can start sending politicians. I'd like Clegg, Cameron, and that Millibloke to be fired at the sun in a cermonial start to the "production" operations.

25. Arachnoid

Space but not as we know it Jim

Then hes more likely to make it into space on the Simpsons then

26. Lallabalalla

Friggin celebs on charity jollies telling us how spend our hard-earned....

Tch!

"The flights have been organised by Space Expedition Corporation and World Privilege Card, which are raising the money for Arms Around The Child"

Why don't they just give all that cash to the charity, solve the kids-with-HIV thing and buy their own space fights?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like