back to article Got the CLOUD FEAR? Connected Data has a black 'n' blue cone to sell you

Connected Data has introduced the second version of its private cloud storage device, Transporter 2, and is hoping to cash in on those users who have been put off by public cloud outages. This is a file sync 'n' share product with a difference; instead of files being copied from your computer to a public cloud service (Box, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Gold badge
Unhappy

So it's an on premises storage server that tracks your files and re-copies them as & when

Sounds handy for anyone too cheap or lazy to invest in a proper system I guess.

So will probably have a pretty good market if the interface is simple enough for the window lickers bean counters to use.

Does it have an Excel lookalike version? They love that.

Silver badge

So it's not actually so-called "cloud"?

It's a thumb drive?

Silver badge

Re: So it's not actually so-called "cloud"?

It's a hard drive with what looks like a file server and rsync in it. So yes, it's "cloud", just like renting out VMs to use up your spare cycles or giving people an API to use is also, apparently, "cloud".

Like get with the wave, man. Learn the lingo, dude. And all that other jazz.

Like a cut down synology..

...that does this and way more for a price point of less than a couple of hundred quid to start

I have been using this product and it's great. Like using Dropbox but without the fees and I know where my data is.

Silver badge

Re: "Like using Dropbox but without the fees"

What fees ? I've got about 2GB of space and I'm not paying a cent.

So...

...it's a NAS? In a funny shaped box? Using the "Cloud" word grab attention (aside from the funny shaped box).

Or have I misunderstood?

Silver badge

Uncanny Obelisk

Pretty good. The potential uses are many. Work/home access for small businesses, offsite backups for home users, Cloud access on the move from mobile. All without inviting some megacorp into your bed.

Oddly the manufacturers emphasize capacity as the main selling point rather than security / privacy convenience. Odd.

Bronze badge
WTF?

This isn't a "cloud" device?

So instead of the data residing on someone else's storage device, it resides on this thing, which sits in YOUR possession, and you can then access it, or share it, via the Internet.

Isn't that "cloud storage" anyway?

Just that the owner of it controls the "cloud" instead of Amazon, or whomever...and who is someone probably not well versed in security. Sounds like shaky security to me. And P-2-P at that? Oh goody.

Anonymous Coward

Re: This isn't a "cloud" device? Oh, yes!

"I'm nervous of the "cloud". So, I'm going to put my data on a device that shares with all other owners of the same type of device, throughout the entire planet, and I have NO idea of what system security [the other users I have allowed access] have applied to their systems."

Ah, the irony. A direct quote from the manufacturer's website itself:

"Transporter is a private cloud storage device for syncing, sharing, accessing, and protecting your digital life. No cloud, no fees, no privacy concerns.

So it's a cloud without a cloud! Brilliant!!

And who said doublespeak is only for the government?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums