back to article Microsoft Exchange: To host or not to host

Webcast To host or not to host: cloud is the question. With the recent release of Exchange 2013 and Wave 15 of Office 365, you probably have a choice to make in the near future, particularly if you're one of the huge number who also use Exchange for messaging. Do you migrate to the newest version of Exchange, migrate to the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. John Sanders

From the IT encyclopaedia:

Microsoft exchange:

Example of how to create a critical business product so brittle, complex and powerful* that it becomes a major pain in the ass of the IT department so we better outsource it.

* In some areas, clearly not much in others.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yeah....

...the majority of big corporates all over the world use it, must be really brittle, complex and unreliable...IF you don't know how to use it properly.

On the host/don't host argument, i'm with NOT hosting exchange externally, until our internet connections are far superior to BT's terrible offering.

1. Magnus_Pym

Re: Yeah....

"...the majority of big corporates all over the world use it, must be really brittle, complex and unreliable...IF you don't know how to use it properly."

Because brittle and complex software never makes it in the corporate world not matter how useful it is *

*Blackberry Enterprise Server. [\sarcasm]

2. John Sanders
      Holmes

Obviously!

1. Danny 14

Well ive tried zimbra and we went back to exchange (2010).

1. usbac Silver badge

Why? What was wrong with Zimbra?

We were running Exchange in house, but were considering moving to Zimbra. We ended up migrating to hosted Exchange (from Microsoft). I've been completely un-impressed by hosted Exchange.

Every time I 'try' to use that god-awful web interface (most of the time I just get some power shell error), I think we made the wrong choice. I would like some feedback as to why you went back to Exchange?

My long term goal has been to get Microsoft out of our data center. Especially with the shakeup going on at Microsoft. Getting Microsoft off the desktop is not very realistic for us yet. My users would revolt if I took away their MS Office. I made a push a while back for Open Office, even going so far as installing for some users, but there are too many problems for us to go there (we use a lot of VBA macros - yes, I know!).

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. usbac Silver badge

Wow, what an asshole! Maybe you should re-read my post before you start throwing insults.

I wasn't referring to the Outlook user interface, I was commenting on the very broken Exchange Admin WEB interface.

The admin interface for Hosted Exchange is simply broken. Try creating a shared mailbox, then adding permissions for several users to the shared mailbox. It will give some cryptic power shell error, and add one or two of the users (it's random which one). If you do the same thing again, it will add some more users (random again) with a different power shell error.

I could go on for pages about all of the things that are just very buggy in the admin back-end.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Microsoft Exchange or Zimbra?

...might be a better question to ask.

Or Ubuntu+Dovecot+Exim/Postfix.

Or indeed a poke in the eye with a sharp stick, if you could use it to deliver E-mail.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

We've been running Office 365 for a year now and loving it.

Its laughable to think we ran an entire server for our 1,000 person business now. That's like running a nuclear power plant to heat your home ;)

1. Joseph Kang

We're running our own on-premise Exchange server for 20 people. Crazy? Yes.

We looked into moving to hosted Exchange (or Office 365). The biggest hurdle for us was our heavy reliance on Exchange Public Folders. We couldn't find a suitable option that addressed that need so we're stuck with our own Exchange server.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Go for a hybrid model and loose the ability for your users to edit their own distribution lists...

Brilliant!

/GuinessGuys

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like