Companies with workloads that like to ride on lots of threads and cores are going to be able to get a lot more bang for a two-socket box thanks to the launch of the "Ivy Bridge-EP" Xeon E5-2600 v2 processors by Intel. Those with pesky applications that like faster clocks to get more work done, well, the process shrink is giving …
Time to break out the thermal paste
In place upgrade time again.
One part of me is horrified by 130W per CPU, but then another part of me realises that it's only 11W per core, or 5.5W per thread. Suddenly it's not so bad, and stacks up very favourably against my old "low power" Phenom II X4 905e.
You'd still have a hard time cooling a whole rack.
- +Comment Trips to Mars may be OFF: The SUN has changed in a way we've NEVER SEEN
- Vid Find email DIFFICULT? Print this article out and give it to someone 'techy'
- Back to the ... drawing board: 'Hoverboard' will disappoint Marty McFly wannabes
- Google+ goes TITSUP. But WHO knew? How long? Anyone ... Hello ...
- Comet Siding Spring revealed as flying molehill