back to article Deutsche Telekom: We don't need no steenkin' set tops

One of the big pieces of news from the IFA in Berlin came out of Deutsche Telekom’s network day, where it showed its progress so far in its search for a set-top-free IPTV world. Deutsche is one of Europe’s leading pay TV players and looks ready to adopt the "cloud" for TV. It has been looking into what it calls "virtualisation …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge
Thumb Down

The primary goal of virtualizing the set-top box is to move the execution of applications to the cloud. From there, they run in a standardized web browser and are transmitted to various devices as a video data stream (H.264/H.265).

So, they've reinvented the thin client? Again. This time it's embedded in the TV, and you have to pay per-hour communications costs to have your video rendered in "the cloud". Oh joy.

Err, what is different between that and the current model of paying Sky for loads of channels you ain't watching?

One of the biggest loser in all of this will be Sky, who pinned their business model to satellite delivery through proprietry STBs that didn't adopt EU guidelines on Conditional Access. Still the bulk of their business despite their IP offerings.

The lack of an ugly box with range of the screen will be a big selling point for any service, and those organisations with pipes to deliver the data (BT, Liberty Global) will be the winners.

HTML5

"Fluid"

Good luck with that.

Silver badge
Paris Hilton

I fail to see the point

To me, it's just more over-complications. Another attempt by yet another company to control the Internet. King Canute would be proud of today's Internet companies.

Right now, I can watch all the TV I want on my PC. If the various channels didn't artificially restrict what was available, I could watch everything.

I have the cheapest (read: slow) broadband connections and it works just fine for everything but 1080i. The next tier up handles that quite readily.

So why do we need YAUP? (yet another useless protocol)

Roll out IPv6, finalize HTML 5 and leave us the hell alone until 4G TV is ready! (affordable)

Or are they afraid we'll no longer want to watch her? ----->

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums