back to article Microsoft soars above Amazon with cloud cache

Microsoft has launched a new Azure technology to give developers a dedicated storage layer for frequently accessed information, and its pricing and features trump similar tech fielded by cloud incumbent Amazon Web Services. The caching service was launched in a preview format by Microsoft on Tuesday, and marks the creation of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge

Meteorology Basics

Clouds don't 'soar'. They are lifted by hot air trapped under them by high pressure marketing & sales areas around them.

Well, except for the soaring part I guess you did get it right...

*Soaring is generally accepted to be either a consciously directed act (by an animal) or a mechanically directed activity (aircraft) to exploit temperature and pressure differentials to gain altitude with a minimum of output. (i.e. holding your wings out stiffly.)

Thumb Up

Re: Meteorology Basics

Could you not say the cloud has mechanical energy? Thus the cloud would fit your (sorry no citation) definition of soaring?

Silver badge
Unhappy

A cloud does energy, of course. That's where my zeppelin gets its power from. Soaring is an activity that requires active situational analysis and adjustments, clouds just float along, mostly, happily, wherever the winds blown them.

My original post was supposed to be funny and about IT clouds being held up by the hot air created by all the bullshit underneath them. Guess it didn't work. Hate it when that happens.

This post has been deleted by its author

Ahahaha, I tend to skip parts that have a strike through. Not sure why but my brain does it automatically. I now feel a tad silly.

So Azure is OK because it has a feature that is slightly cheaper than the similar feature in AWS and has a different bell or whistle. The feature's PM deserves a pat on the back for their marketing efforts. The Article's author, not so much.

FAIL

May I ask how you find out about new developments? I tend to read news, hence I saw this here.

As I was not specifically looking for caching services at this time I would not have know that Azure offered it as it did not before. Surely this is what news is, disseminating information to the masses. Otherwise only the people that were specifically looking for that information would know about it.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums