Feeds

back to article Poison Ivy RAT becoming the AK-47 of cyber-espionage attacks

The Poison Ivy Remote Access Tool (RAT) - often considered a tool for novice "script kiddies" - has become a ubiquitous feature of cyber-espionage campaigns, according to experts. Research by malware protection firm FireEye has revealed that the tool served as lynchpin of many sophisticated cyber attacks, including the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Bronze badge

What to do about these RAT things?

Even the experts don't know how to deal with them. The other day, a senior industry source was heard saying:

"There's a rat in the kitchen, what am I going to do?"

Twice.

After which, losing all sense of proportion and decorum, he went on to say:

"I'm going to kill the rat, that's what I'm going to do, I'm going to kill the rat..."

Before starting to hum and gyrate and nod back and forth in a frankly alarming way, suggesting he had been drinking too much red, red wine.

Silver badge

Re: What to do about these RAT things?

Considering some of the other lyrics in that song, I felt the final verse to be rather fitting (if aimed at certain entities)..

"You invade my space

Make me feel disgraced

And you just don't give a damn

If I had my way

If I had my say

I'd like to see you hang "

Silver badge

When do we get a white paper from the NSA ?

This is actual cyber-terrorism, is it not ? Or does the fact that this is a threat against companies and citizens, not government, make this a non-item for NSA surveillance ?

Anonymous Coward

Re: When do we get a white paper from the NSA ?

well for a long time the white paper on NSA/BND RATs was at http://www.gliif.org/LI_standards/TR_TKUE_English_V4_0.pdf

but now it seems to have moved! There are also more RATTy details at http://surveillance.rsf.org/en/gamma-international/

The RAT is used by LI against people/organisations - and can UPLOAD anything they care to do so, then do a Snowden and delete the logs. So you're right it is Cyberterrorism but NSA already hold the high-ground?

Bronze badge
Childcatcher

Re: When do we get a white paper from the NSA ?

This is actual cyber-terrorism, is it not?

Yes, it is pure, naked aggression.

Anonymous Coward

Coordinated attacks on software flaws ..

Who is going to protect us from all these Lienex software flaws ..

Silver badge

Re: Coordinated attacks on software flaws ..

if you look at the references, the software flaws were all in windows/OSX machines...

This topic is closed for new posts.