Feeds

back to article Tat bazaar eBay takes a rest for 'scheduled maintenance', goes offline

eBay is currently out of action for its users, but the downtime is not because of an unexpected outage. It is instead due to "scheduled general maintenance", the company has confirmed to The Register. That said, fans of second-hand goods cannot presently bid for a pair of old smelly shoes on the popular online tat bazaar. The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Anonymous Coward

Is it just the herd effect?

is there actually a lot more bigname internet downtime than usual in the last few days?

or is the usual downtime just more visible than usual for reasons which as yet escape me?

The "Internet Traffic Report" doesn't seem to show any visible blips on its 30 day chart, but then if what they measure is GB/s of kitty videos, maybe it wouldn't show anyway...

Silver badge
Black Helicopters

@ AC 0847h GMT - Re: Is it just the herd effect?

Oh my.

And I thought it would be Dell. Stupid of me; eBay has four letters as well.

Really? Do I really need tinfoil?

http://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/1/2013/08/22/fanbois_wail_and_gnash_their_teeth_as_icloud_falls_down/#c_1934849

This post has been deleted by its author

Anonymous Coward

Re: Is it just the herd effect?

Previous post withdrawn as I'd missed Kingston Black at 13:41 on Friday making the very same suggestion (downtime due to the NSA-funded kit being removed, to reduce the risk of the American people using it as evidence against the NSA).

Bronze badge

Re: Is it just the herd effect?

Either removed or upgraded.

I'd bet on the latter.

Bronze badge

The site, ebay.com at least, is instead, at time of writing, serving a "connection reset" message to visitors.

ebay.co.uk seems to be working now.

Silver badge
Angel

Oh no-

it isn't!

We may need a Panto icon if this carries on...

Bronze badge

Re: Oh no-

I keep getting in, get a 'welcome to ebay' button, then chucked out back to the login screen and a 'password incorrect' message, on the UK site. If it was scheduled maintenance and not a problem, why wouldn't they just display a holding page and stop users logging in?

It's a conspiracy, I tell you...

Stop

reply to "ebay.co.uk seems to be working now."

It did for about 5 minutes, but not properly.

Bronze badge
Meh

Re: Oh no-

"I keep getting in, get a 'welcome to ebay' button, then chucked out back to the login screen and a 'password incorrect' message"

I've been getting that or variations on it for a week, on and off.

We have initiated two hours of scheduled maintenance...

...followed by another hour of bowel-looseningly-unscheduled maintenance, and finally a pink slip handout to celebrate its successful completion.

We would like to apologise for the inconvenience...but for reasons beyond our control cannot do so at this time.

uk down www.ebay.co.uk

The connection was reset

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few

moments.

If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network

connection.

If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure

that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

uk announcement - its now 10am bst. (gmt+1 or utc+1 lol)

UK announce,

***Scheduled maintenance for this week***

22 August, 2013 | 12:13PM BST

Hello,

The eBay system will be undergoing general maintenance from approximately 7am to 9am on Friday August 23rd. During this maintenance period, certain eBay features may be intermittently unavailable or slow and we apologise in advance for any inconvenience caused.

Regards,

The eBay Team.

ebay forum link

few comments here about it too, looks like the furum went down earlyer.....

http://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/My-eBay/bd-p/21900000768

cant re-login again now. its booted me. Also the android app of course is screwed too. unable to login. and bombs.

WTF?

What a way to run a business, still I'm sure they will be compensating us business users for loss of sales and inability to ship on time.

Anonymous Coward

loss of sales and inability to ship on time

"they will be compensating us business users for loss of sales and inability to ship on time."

Of course they will, in line with the agreed service level agreement.

Oh.

SLAs aren't worth much to anyone other than lawyers and purchasing departments anyway.

If your usage is important to the business, you need a system that stays working (with or without an SLA), not a contractual agreement that offers you 30 days free service if the service goes down for more than an hour on the third Tuesday of the month starting after 14:15 and ending before 14:45 (or similar worthless rubbish).

SLAs are the IT industry equivalent of Payment Protection Insurance :)

Pint

When I were a lad...

Back in the steam-powered days I remember eBay would go down for 'scheduled maintenance' every Friday morning. Maybe they are bringing back the old ways... Or the NSA wanted to plug in...

Beer? Well it is Friday!

V.

Big Brother

"The NSA wanted to plug in"

Quite possibly, or are they are busy "plugging out" - getting rid of the evidence fearing Mr Snowden has proof of their illegality?

Bronze badge

Nasdaq and iCloud also had serious downtime this week...

Is someone not telling us something?

Anonymous Coward

So Passe Darling

" fans of second-hand goods cannot presently bid for a pair of old smelly shoes on the popular online tat bazaar."

Oh we are superior aren't we? The Register used to be a great site with witty and informative articles.

Now it's a tech version of The Sun with articles written by hipster toss-pots.

Happy

Re: So Passe Darling

"hipster toss-pots" is that where they brew designer cider?

Silver badge

" fans of second-hand goods cannot presently bid for a pair of old smelly shoes on the popular online tat bazaar."

But isn't that a relatively correct description of what ebay is...

By the way "passe" has an accented e - Passé ( do people really still use that phrase) Nothing like a nice piece of pedantry on El Reg.....

Paris Hilton

Re: tech version of The Sun

El Reg has better jugs though!

Silver badge
Happy

Indeed, people still use passé, although it's best to be rather blasé about it or you risk coming across as a hipster toss pot.

smelly shoes? I want to bid on a $65,000 dollar piece of antique furniture. I guess the seller won't sell it tonight.

Silver badge

Does the house come with it?

Silver badge

So, as of now...

Amazon, Yahoo, Google, NASDAQ, Apple, Microsoft and eBay have had downtime in the last four days, and eBay is the only one to leave any sort of explanation of what the cause is.

Silver badge

Re: So, as of now...

Oh, and Facebook.

Silver badge
Big Brother

Re: So, as of now...

Not one to jump to conclusions, generally, but it all does seem a mite weird.

MJI
Silver badge

Just tried

Login screen but no Ebay

Oh

Your email/user ID or password is incorrect.

And no it isn't

Just try and call them

This is the message you get when you try to call them

"Due to unforeseen circumstances we are unable to take your call at moment, please try later or alternatively use our self-help service."

Also ebay.fr ebay.es is also down along with a few others, but interesting NSA.gov was also down earlier, has someone been selling government secrets on ebay i.e. Edward Snowden lol

Tits are still up

Big tits, very much up.

This post has been deleted by its author

Bronze badge

Re: A disaster for many sellers

Won't this be a disaster for many sellers[?]

Yup, but think of all the fees that eBay will also be missing out on :-)

Bronze badge

login via ebay.com seems fine

It's just ebay.co.uk that's a bit poorly.

Re: login via ebay.com seems fine

Ebay.com France Germany Canada Spain Ireland and Australia have all been down as well this morning.

uk working ok now, at the mo.

FAIL

Nope, its still down! It may seem to work on the surface, but once you get into trying to print orders, create or modify listings or action anything on the Resolution Centre an error pops up 4 out of 5 times. We're now some 5 hours into the 2-hour scheduled maintenance.

Brilliant for us sellers trying to get stuff on for the Bank Holiday weekend selling bonanza eh?

FAIL

Way past 9 though aint it?

And still totally broken. Oh dear...

I give up 9 mins to go on 6 auctions and site is impossible. I'll keep my money.

Anonymous Coward

Has a serious vulnerability been discovered in hardware shared by all these large (mainly American based) companies ?

A bodged firmware update or patch maybe ?

Or something more sinister ?

"General Maintenance" sounds like a good catch all to me

Anonymous Coward

Has eBay been hacked

Ebay.com France Germany Canada Spain Ireland and Australia have all been down as well this morning. Surly eBay has back on their backups and have a plan in place so that a major update could be rolled back if something went seriously wrong. Is this maintenance or have they been hacked?

eBay still down and their maintenance post doesn't explain this

If this really is planned maintenance it is the worst plan of that type - ever.

Anonymous Coward

Bidding on goods in Europe

I am trying to bid on very expensive antiques out of europe. The items are about to expire (0400AM Mountain) and I might fail making a winning bid. I am sure the European dealers are thrilled that they choose a time that disregards their time zone.

Maybe a revenge attack for their intention to charge 10% commission on shipping costs? :)

Maybe they put EBAY into the cloud and they cannot find the phone number of the cloud guy.

Bidding

I have 17 minutes to get my 65k bid in and I am getting page reset on firefox. This seller is gonna be ticked off.

Silver badge
Big Brother

Wow

The NSA is really covering all bases.

Still down @ 11:00

Both UK & US still down

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.