Feeds

back to article Bradley Manning is no more. 'Call me Chelsea,' she says

With the WikiLeaks trial now over, former private first class Bradley Manning has announced the intention to transition sex via female hormone therapy and said she wished to be referred to as Chelsea E. Manning from now on. "I am Chelsea Manning. I am a female. Given the way that I feel, and have felt since childhood, I want to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Anonymous Coward

A pay cut and a new found obsession with shoes, as if he didn't have enough problems.

She.

This post has been deleted by a moderator

FAIL

Re: The prisoners are going to like him/her

Yes, because all transwomen are straight and they *really* enjoy being violently raped, right?

You know, I keep trying to tell myself that most folks respect transgender rights, especially a transwoman that has given up a large part of her life to expose war crimes covered up by a powerful and despotic government. What does she get?

Transphobia and rape jokes. Stay classy, AC.

Nice bit of empathy there....

Anonymous Coward

"to expose war crimes"

Err...no. They may have exposed some errors in operational procedure, but the documents released went far beyond the stated PR remit and put lives at risk.

There has been a court case about this.

They had evidence and everything, not just Internet barrack-room jockeys.

They found against Manning.

Done.

Anonymous Coward

"Err...no. They may have exposed some errors in operational procedure, but the documents released went far beyond the stated PR remit and put lives at risk.

There has been a court case about this.

They had evidence and everything, not just Internet barrack-room jockeys."

Indeed. Too bad you apparently didn't pay even a modicum of attention to said documents or court case.

First of all, Manning certainly did expose war crimes. The video of the helicopter attack on journalists alone shows war crimes--targeting unarmed civilians and preventing their rescue. And aside from war crimes, Manning exposed breaches of international law, e.g., Clinton's order to spy on UN officials. I wonder how you arrived at your conclusions about the leaked videos/documents since you apparently didn't view/read them yourself...?

Second, Manning was acquitted of aiding the enemy and he was never charged with putting any lives in danger. And since the military was coming at him with everything they had, you can bet your sweet a** that if they had any actual evidence that he put lives at risk, they would have leveled those charges.

Silver badge

Reminds me of Klinger on M.A.S.H.

He's hoping to get out of the army by dressing as a girl........

This post has been deleted by its author

You know what? You win. I can't do this anymore.

Silver badge
Holmes

You know what? You win. I can't do this anymore.

Get over yourself and quit the melodrama - I'm not trying to win anything.

Do you disagree with me when I say your "friend" obviously needs professional help with her mental state?

Silver badge

ah-ha

This explains why he blabbed so much!

Silver badge

Re: ah-ha

Wooo, big swings of reaction there! To those with a sense of humour which hasn't been gelded from prolonged expose to political correctness, glad to be of service...

To the others....

Are there any ladies here?

No...No.. *cough* NOOOO NOOOO

</monty python>

Silver badge
Windows

He will then go on to blame his leaking of info (for which I applaud him) on a hormonal imbalance.

Or some other such shit to , ultimately, curry favour....Reduced sentence....Insert ulterior motive..

I haven't followed it too much recently but does seem to be another knee-jerk solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Anonymous Coward

Except that her gender dysphoria has been known for a long time.

Anonymous Coward

Good for her. I'm sure that publicly announcing the decision is a great weight off her shoulders.

Paris Hilton

Whistleblower == outsider?

Perhaps your average family guy / team player / good old boy is less likely to rock the boat. Whatever else, you have to admire Bradley/Chelsea's cojones.

Paris? Blowing a different kind of whistle.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Whistleblower == outsider?

Admire them? If she gets her way you may be able to buy them on ebay soon!

Silver badge

Good point, takes someone who already feels an outsider to act outside the proscribed framework.

Silver badge

People behave consistently. I guess one of Chelsea's 'things' is about wanting the truth to be known/being tired of keeping massive secrets. The leaks were a form of coming out by proxy.

Silver badge
Joke

"Good point, takes someone who already feels an outsider to act outside the proscribed framework."

I like your thinking: geek's are well known for being outsiders, too, so I tell you what, let's hire a bunch of them to manage our top-secret IT system. What could possibly go wrong?

Interesting

It's standard practice to get a psychological evaluation before gender re-assignment. To protect people who might be doing it because of mental illness or attention seeking behaviours that they'd later regret mainly. I suppose wanting to spend time in a women's prison instead of a men's one could also be a consideration in this case. I'm very curious to see how that works out for Manning and whether this is deemed sincere.

No judgement here at all, just the way the whole situation has played out makes this unfortunate timing if nothing else.

Silver badge

Not surprising

The log transcripts with Lamo that got him arrested basically started with him saying exactly this.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Not surprising

Lets hope Lamo gets whats coming to him - the way manning has been treated there's one shitload of bad karma Lamo's way.

Anonymous Coward

Why? The plan is working perfectly. Yet another shit-storm if the USA internal power struggle.

Oh, you thought this was about democracy?

How quaint.

Anonymous Coward

Lets hope Lamo gets whats coming to him - the way manning has been treated there's one shitload of bad karma Lamo's way.

1 - Lamo has been in no way, shape or form responsible for how Manning has been treated

2 - Depends on your point of view. Ask someone whose life was put at risk through the leaks. Snowden has at least shown a little bit more restraint there.

I don't think Lamo should have "anything coming" at all. Manning would have been exposed one way or the other, and I personally think Lamo's decision to report the guy took courage, exactly because of reactions like yours.

" Ask someone whose life was put at risk through the leaks"

Yawn, don't work for an organisation that kills civilians as a matter of course then you wont need to fear this sort of thing.

On the scales of generic evil, USA/UK easily balance up with any of the Women Fearing sharia toting fundamentalist groups.

Life is full of choices

Silver badge
WTF?

Lamo? Seriously, the guy's name is Lamo? Did his parents give him that name? If so, did he sue them (the song "A boy named Sue" springs to mind)? If not, did he pick this as a pseudonym or nom de plume?

Anyhow, the name Lamo seems curiously appropriate to me, given that he first suggests the information will be treated confidentially by his words:

"I'm a journalist and a minister. You can pick either, and treat this as a confession or an interview (never to be published) & enjoy a modicum of legal protection."

And then he blabs. Lamo may have felt he was in a cleft stick, of course, but it was at least in part of his own cutting.

Silver badge

Re: Not surprising @AC 23:12

Happy to ask someone whose life was put at risk. - Can you find me anyone?

No?

Thought not.

"I'm a journalist and a minister."

Not a particularly trust inspiring combination.

I would have asked if he's ever been in a conflict of interest situation. Just to see how much he squirms.

Silver badge

DoD, Doctors, and Congress

There was a DOD guy on the radio today saying that they do not provide hormone therapy for sexual reassignment or recognize name changes while incarcerated. He'll be referred to by the name and sex he enlisted with for the duration of his stay.

He also talked about how there is no military medical expertise for dealing with the difficulties of hormone therapy and how even if there were most states and DoD medical ethics prevent doctors from administering the therapy if the patient is in a state of duress or regularly exposed to high stress situations. As well as how the political obstacles of paying for the therapy are pretty much insurmountable.

I'm not sure, but Manning's timing on this isn't doing him any favors. Now he's going to be under even more pressure from the others inside. Even of they get the challenges sorted it'll likely be about the time he's up for parole anyway. If it were me I think I'd want my lawyer to stop giving the other inmates ammunition for making my life shittier.

Bronze badge

"stop giving the other inmates ammunition for making my life shittier."

No, as the lawyer stated, this is a military prison.

It is full of blokes, both sides of the wire, who follow rules and obey orders. It's kind of like being in the army.

(Only even more insane and pointless).

Bronze badge

Re: "stop giving the other inmates ammunition for making my life shittier."

It is full of blokes, both sides of the wire, who follow rules and obey orders. It's kind of like being in the army.

Surely they didn't always follow the rules and obey orders, otherwise they wouldn't be in prison?

Silver badge

There goes the pea.

The toady media will be all over this story to shove the real story out of the headlines.

I support Manning, but it is a shame this irrelevant matter clouds the news. This aids the criminal elements currently in charge of our government. I think they can be caught, stopped and punished, but only if enough of us remain focused on what is important here.

Sort of unrelated: If Obama were anything even close to what his supporters think he is, he would be pardoning tens or hundreds of *thousands* of federal prisoners. If it were me, I would pardon nearly anyone spending time behind bars for victim-less crimes like drug possession.

Silver badge

Re: There goes the pea.

Can't do that - the people who own the prisons lobby.

Anonymous Coward

Anything else?

If things truly do come in threes he's now got to anounce something even more shocking, like she is from another planet or likes Windows 8.

Bronze badge
Unhappy

Not sure how to read this

Honestly - in the turgid wake of US sensationalism current affairs, I'm not sure this hasn't been injected as part of a well orchestrated smear campaign by the powers-that-be, or that these statements haven't been at least partially coerced. As genuine as his/her inclinations may be, the transition from 'national security threat' to "military criminal' to 'transgender attention-seeking nut job' reads like a badly directed Hollywood b movie for me as, once again, the thread of original concern is obfuscated in the public media.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Not sure how to read this

I you trying to say he has been David Shayler'ed? No it's a normal life style choice in Intelligence circles. I have also heard that they have bags of cross-dressers in GCHQ.

Where's my beer icon because I don't want to drink the water!

Anonymous Coward

Just a ploy to get a presidential pardon from Obama.

Boffin

It's not rocket science

Someone who's gotten the bug for being important (Lamo) knows her deepest secret, that was the specific reason she ever contacted him.

What's Lamo's track record on keeping his gob shut? Oh, there we go, the Rocket Science bit. Chelsea is doing a Stephen Gately, getting in there before the spineless glory-grabbers do.

Particularly when Lamo starts suffering the social backlash of his actions, how long is it going to be until he cashes in to make himself more popular/rich?*

Just sayin'.

* Before people start saying how plenty of people will think Lamo is a hero, remember a good proportion of them don't care much for gender-bending, and with his campaigning history . . . I don't see him being welcome round for tea for a politically liberal discussion.

nK

Silver badge

Military Jail?

Never been inside one, but I imagine they're a "shit in a bucket in the corner" type of place.

Somehow I don't think he's going to get hormone therapy, pink fluffy slippers and Hello magazine delivered to his cell every week.

Silver badge

Re: Military Jail?

They're pretty much like civilian prisons but they have footprints painted on the floor where you stand at attention for extended periods (whenever they tell you to), guards and other workers who you still have to salute and respect if they outrank you and literal military discipline (push-ups, sit-ups, chin-ups, extended runs with backpacks loaded with sandbags, jumping jacks, temperature extremes and limited forms of sensory deprivation for punishment). Plus they can yell at you (which can't be done in civilian prisons) and their yelling is scientifically designed to make you feel like the worst piece of shit in the world.

Probably the worst part (his lawyer is an idiot for saying differently) are the other inmates. They're in prime physical shape, have had aggression forced into them, and regardless of what they did they are still, generally, fiercely loyal to the service and the US. They'll take an especially dim view of what they will consider a traitor.

It's really going to be awful for Manning, regardless of his gender identity challenges.

Silver badge

A bucket which is also your bed

Silver badge

"Somehow I don't think he's going to get hormone therapy, pink fluffy slippers and Hello magazine delivered to his cell every week."

I think he might have to settle for being called a "bitch" and get slapped around a bit cause in a military prison, that's all he's likely to get.

Silver badge

While I don't doubt that you're right, I'd think he's still better off in a military prison than a civilian high-security one. Civilian US prisons are more overcrowded, heavily underfunded, the other inmates at least as nasty, and less well controlled. Also Manning is white, which in at least the southern parts of USA would automatically make him a target for harassment, and gay, which would make him a target for rape.

But to be honest I don't think Manning will survive very long regardless of where he serves his time. He was suicidal after arrest, he's clearly not very mentally stable, and I suspect that sooner or later he'll find a way to off himself.

A traitor in jail is someone who rattles on you, not someone who made the country look bad.

The danger will come exclusively form the prison staff.

Silver badge

Fair enough.

But don't call me Shirley.

Silver badge

Re: Fair enough.

airplane

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.