Feeds

back to article Pinch to Xoom: Motorola settles trademark suit in confidential deal

Motorola has settled a trademark lawsuit in the US over the name "Xoom", and will "phase out" its use on a Googlerola fondleslab. The Google-owned mobile device maker was sued by online payment provider Xoom Corporation on the day a tablet bearing the name Xoom was launched back in 2011 and settled the case in a confidential …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
IT Angle

Wait wait

Two IT companies reaching a sensible agreement and moving on instead of suing each other into oblivion?

I'm so confused. This isn't how tech companies operate.

Silver badge

Re: Wait wait

Maybe part of the deal was Google 'buying out' Xoom.

Silver badge

I'm guessing one side or the other finally got around to searching the interwebs and realised that spelling Zoom with an X in a company or product name is not really all that unique so the 4 letters in that order are not a trademark. The typeface, colours and other graphical nuance are what make it a trademark.

And since a mobile phone is unlikely to be mistaken for a moneylender, there's little likelihood of confusing a Xoom phone with most or all of the other "Xooms" out there in the world.

Anonymous Coward

Trademarks are only valid if they are defended, if you don't defend or use your trademark then it becomes invalid.

I'd say Xoom is a lot more "unique" than Windows, Boots, Galaxy (choc and phone).

Bronze badge
Paris Hilton

Xoom

Hmm I remember Xoom.com as a really old free web host.

I feel really old now :(

This topic is closed for new posts.