Feeds

back to article Rackspace to fire up VMware hybrid cloud

VMware's world has just become a little more complicated, after Rackspace announced it now offers “Dedicated VMware vCenter Servers”. Rackspace's new service will allow VMware users to “migrate existing VMware workloads out of their on-premise data center into a Rackspace data center” in an arrangement that “will look and feel …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Anonymous Coward

The big problem with vmWare and Rackspace is that you loos all control. Every thing needs to go through a Rackspace tech and you loose all visibility. No sir, you can have access to the VmWare console, leave that up to us. In the mean time the system is not working just fine, and you have no idea why you VM's sometimes 'pause' for a couple of seconds setting you loadbalancer on fire.

Ooo and btw, no you can only have RH 5 installed, RH 6 doesn't work on VmWare, whaaaaaaaat?

/rant

Rack space problem not VMware

You should have worded it as "the problem with VMware from Rackspace is........."

This is not a problem with VMware (and its hybrid cloud) as it will happily run RHEL 6. This is a Rackspace business protocol problem.

Bronze badge

not the same

it sounds like this new service is more self service, they give you HW, some vsphere, vcenter and you do with it what you want. No fixed VM sizes or whatever.

but maybe it's not..

dhc

Other companies have been offering VMware IaaS with the option for managed or self-managed environments and network integration to the customer's on-prem for many years now. So, really, the only interesting thing I can see here is that Rackspace - a traditionally OpenStack supplier - is adding VMware to the mix.

I would suggest that RackSpace have noticed that not every business compute problem is well suited to the OpenStack deployment/upgrade model and that a lot of businesses already have a lot of virtual machine instances in VMware format (vmdk).

Also, Anonymous Coward is just plain wrong with the assertion that vCenter Server will not run RedHat 6. I run it every day with vSphere 5.1.

This topic is closed for new posts.