Feeds

back to article Gartner to VMware: Rock out with your socket out

The wizards at Gartner have penned a pre-VMworld suggestion to VMware: go back to being teenage rebels. Research veep Chris Wolf likens VMware to a band at a crossroads: does it essentially give up and resign itself to playing greatest hits tours to a dwindling base of fans, or try to once again turn the world on its head? Wolf …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Bronze badge

It would be great if this was the reason VMware are declining but I fear it's because all the talented programmers have left and they now rely on buying clever toys they don't understand.

Anonymous Coward

AWS are not even on the RADAR for enterprise SDN that I have ever seen.

Microsoft seem to have the best solution so far - with no requirements for proprietary vendor hardware.....

http://blogs.technet.com/b/in_the_cloud/archive/2013/08/14/what-s-new-in-2012-r2-hybrid-networking.aspx

Thumb Down

the good is gone

Yes, the MBAs kicked out the clever upstarts with ideas and skills. Now all that's left is mediocre; and so is ESXi 5.1. I dread to see 5.5

Is that really the case?

Or is that there are credable alternitives out there? Both in the form of KVM / HyperV / Xen etc in the data centre, but also that public cloud providers are offering a way to avoid large capital spends altogether?

Bronze badge

Re: Is that really the case?

KVM and Xen are not credible alternatives to vSphere, they are credible alternatives to ESXi. They are reasonable hypervisors but it's been a long time since a hypervisor was all that was included in vSphere, and Microsoft's "Cloud OS" strategy which includes all the elements of a full private cloud is going to be very hard to match let alone beat.

Anonymous Coward

SDN on Cisco?

How Does That Make Sense?, Says The Guy Who Works For D-Link.

This topic is closed for new posts.