Feeds

back to article Second time's a charm! Microsoft tries again with Active Directory patch

Microsoft made a second attempt to cleanly patch an "important" security flaw in its Active Directory Federation Services technology on Monday - days after yanking the original update for causing stability problems. The original MS13-066 upgrade caused the active directory service to stop working entirely in some cases. The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Anonymous Coward

And last month's updated Hyper-V patch..

With all these cases I'm having to rethink my patch strategy, and will probably postpone patches even longer. (now direct rollout for testing 2 days on dev systems, followed by rollout to live)

Then again, it's only a matter of time until a worm pops up shortly after a patch for a known flaw is released.

But right now MS is a bigger threat to my system stability than worms/other exploits.

*bitter and bitten by some of these issues*

Bronze badge
Childcatcher

Re: And last month's updated Hyper-V patch..

I'm having to rethink my patch strategy, and will probably postpone patches even longer.

You have that right: always, always test in a dedicated environment before making changes to production! While this particular instance (and many others) can be laid at Microsoft's doorstep, they are not unique in this failing.

Bronze badge

What sucks is when a modest difference between the test/development network and production network hides a bug in a patch that paralyzes the enterprise.

I've seen a few of those over the years. :/

Anonymous Coward

Re: they are not unique in this failing.

and sometimes, it IS something you pretty much need to roll-out without extensive testing...

[commentard shudders as he remembers McAfee AV definitions eating a couple hundred systems in the building several years ago]

FAIL

You're clueless. This isn't the 1990s. Catastrophic failures are rare, and (usually) random.

Perhaps you are clueless that your "Best Practice implementations" are insufficient and learn more about your product. If you're good enough, if is far more resilient than you could ever imagine.

L'User.

FAIL

That's why ESXi trumps Hyper-V. Please.

Silver badge

"it’s possible that the fix had actually turned into a bigger problem than the one it was attempting to solve."

Are they talking about Win 8 replacing Win 7?

Joke

@NoneSuch

"it’s possible that the fix had actually turned into a bigger problem than the one it was attempting to solve."

Are they talking about Win 8 replacing Win 7?

Do you mean the Win7 SP2 rollout that broke everything?

This topic is closed for new posts.