Feeds

back to article Portuguese chicken invades Spanish airspace

A plucky Portuguese cockerel has added extra weight to the theory that model aircraft and High Altitude Ballooning payloads are magnetically drawn to trees by soaring to a heady 33,252m before crash landing in a bewildered Spanish villager's fig tree. The flying rooster seen in the stratosphere The Galo de Barcelos (Rooster …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Bronze badge
Holmes

Really ?

A ROAST chicken ?

Exceptional.

Thumb Up

Re: Really ?

I was wondering about that as well. Other than a sizzle or crackle just what noise can a roast chicken make?

Silver badge

If I was a suspicious kind of person I'd have suspected that the guy may have had an accomplice.

I wonder if this defense would stand up in court today? "Your Honor, I am innocent, and this box of Chicken McNuggets will prove it!"

Bronze badge
Coat

Right, they let him off the theft charge, but then hanged him for witchcraft. I expect.

Bronze badge
Mushroom

Did they search it for smuggled cigarettes?

Bronze badge
Mushroom

No Doubt

with tension increasing over Gibraltar UK oldest allies the Portuguese are currently working on a cunning plan, I suspect it has something to do with bird flu or mass deforestation.

Silver badge
Mushroom

Careful now

If the politicos hear about this news they'll probably add it to their anti-corruption/economy smokescreen. Proud Spain under attack from all sides from ancient enemies and all that.

Thumb Up

like it

But see what you've started :>)

So how about multiple camera angles on LOHAN, that would be really cool!

(Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: like it

We have a rack of cameras available for LOHAN, so yes, multiple angles ahoy.

How do you say "what the fuck is this" in Spanish?

The look on the old guys face is priceless.

cheers

'lo que joder es this'

(Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Re: like it

¿Qué coño es esto?

Flame

Hola Amigo, creo que... '¿qué coño es esto?'

Saludos

Bronze badge

How do you say "What the fuck is this?" in Spanish

Most likely: "Whatte de fac iz dis?"

Silver badge

There are are several variants of this legend all over Europe

The most famous here in Spain is the one from Santo Domingo de la Calzada.

A theory says that all of them share a Celtic origin. Another theory says that this was a common trick played by stage magicians or their Medieval equivalents back then. The trick was performed by drugging the bird unconscious, plucking its feathers and then applying honey and other substances to give the impression that it had roasted.

Do fellow commentards know of any other versions of this legend?

Cock lands on Rutland tree?

Silver badge
Joke

Is this an actual cock up?

Definitely not

It looks like a highly successful venture, all things considered. Something to crow about certainly.

I'm just wondering how many of the Ogg family were involved & whether any broomsticks were mentioned...

Bronze badge

Headology's the trick

Better'n magic. Ask Esme Weatherwax.

Great that the link at the end of the article offers me a white paper on "Planning a move to the cloud"!

Bronze badge
Mushroom

Nandos

Nobody else care to mention that The Galo de Barcelos is the logo / mascot for the Nandos spicy flamegrilled chicken emporium, and that the legend as described is scrawled on their walls (at least in every one I've ever been to)

(shame the XXHot sauce isn't as hot as this -->)

Anonymous Coward

Charming!

<title>

Bonus Question:

How much of the horizon's curvature we see in this kind of (excellent) pictures is due to the actual Earth globe curvature, and how much to the lenses used (i.e. fish-eye effect)?

Anonymous Coward

Re: Charming!

0.000001%, and whatever 100 minus that is.

Thumb Up

Helium?

Given that it is a one way trip for the buoyant gas in the balloon (great video of the bursting), why not use Hydrogen? I'm not complaining, mind you, just curious what the trade off is.

Bronze badge

Re: Helium?

Price (more) and lift (less). That's my guess.

This topic is closed for new posts.