Feeds

back to article Microsoft to fund Blake's 7 return as Xbox Live exclusive

Microsoft is reportedly backing a reboot of Blake's 7, the seminal British science fiction show. The Finanacial Times' reports Microsoft feels Blake's 7 is just the kind of content it needs to encourage Xbox owners to deploy the device as an entertainment hub that deposits rivers of subscription revenue into Redmond's coffers, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Silver badge
WTF?

Nooooooo

This show (if it gets made) will be nothing more than a series of product placement ads for Microsoft.

There is no way that any XBox or surface can replace ORAC.

Shame on you MS. Things must be getting rather desperate over there in Redmond.

Silver badge
Meh

Re: Nooooooo

They will kill it with a sanitised script acted out by Americans. Could not be worse.

Bronze badge

ORAC was the only good thing about that show - I spent hours trying to get my BBC micro to make the same noise. There's probably an app for that now.

Happy

who would not want to see this epic adventure acted by beautiful and handsome americans with their perfect white teeth and bronze Californian tans?

Silver badge
Happy

Nobody in the UK, or the non-US world will see it, don't fret.

Anonymous Coward

Just realised

There are an awful lot of old farts on here that remember the series.

Anonymous Coward

This will be a massive hit. Provided they don't involve any Americans....

Anonymous Coward

"perfect white teeth " - most Americans have terrible teeth - dental care isn't free in the colonies...

Silver badge

Re: Just realised

"There are an awful lot of old farts on here that remember the series."

What are you talking about 'remember'. I have all four series and watch them back to back around once a year (with the wife - who is a B7 convert! - so much so she is the one that usually gets them out of the cupboard).

There is no way they will be able to write a script that will match the original. The special effects may have been crap, the acting a bit dodgy, but the characters and their inter-play were second to none.

Oh how we love to hate Blake.

Anonymous Coward

> There is no way that any XBox or surface can replace ORAC.

In the first episode ORAC just sits there silently watching everything in a slightly creepy way, he throws up an error message after 20 minutes because he can't find the internet, then a red ring appears on his front and he isn't in the rest of the series.

Silver badge

Remakes of 80s shows are nearly always dire.

US remakes of popular UK shows always are dir.

That's dire ^2

Be afraid.

The daft thing is there are actually some good original US TV series... They could do worse than resurrect Push Daisies which got chopped before its time thanks to the writers strike, maybe Ned could touch Windows RT?

Silver badge
Unhappy

Pushing Daisies

Better off Ted

Dead Like Me

All gone before their time.

MJI
Silver badge
Unhappy

I liked Pushing Daisies, another series which required TBPTV due to shITV removing episodes

MJI
Silver badge

TPBTV sorry

Anonymous Coward

Blakes 8

Cue the usual boring register suspects vowing never to upgrade from Blakes 7 to 8.

Silver badge
Joke

Re: Blakes 8

Cue the usual boring register suspects vowing never to upgrade from Blakes 7 to 8.

It'll be fine as long as they don't get rid of Orac's start button.

Bronze badge
Facepalm

Oh no, here we go another lot of people complaining that "They'll kill it!", "They're ruining my memories.".

Listen, they're not making it for your benefit, you have the original series to be fond of, they don't give a rat's arse about the fans of the original series. They're making it for a new, younger audience who have never seen it and wouldn't, in a million years, bother watching the original.

Yes before you start calling me a whipper-snapper, I do fondly remember the original as a kid born at the start of the 1970's, to the point that my Mum and I named our dogs ORAC and ZEN in honour of the show!

Bronze badge

Zen.exe has caused a General Protection Fault....

"I spent hours trying to get my BBC micro to make the same noise. There's probably an app for that now."

Should write to them.. I mean they used a Beeb for most of the sound effects and graphics for series in that time. Dr Who being a prime example.

Anonymous Coward

Stop mucking abaat...

...and show us the feckin originals already. Mmm, Jacqueline Pearce.

Mmmmmmmmm.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Stop mucking abaat...

I started watching the originals again a few years ago after *cough* obtaining a copy.

To be honest, they are sadly unwatchable :-(

Wobbly sets, slow pace, very little story, no movemebt to an overall story arc, very poor graphics.

I really enjoyed it at the time, but it has sadly not aged well.

Bronze badge

I was a fan back in the day. There were good bits, but I can see the flaws you mention. Some were typical of the time, such as the wobbly sets and poor graphics. Maybe, in those ancient days of no repeats, and home video still being new, TV pacing was different.

A "reboot" makes more sense than for Star Trek. The Trek franchise is full of new starships and new captains. There's nothing in B7 that could support a Next Generation, but the basic plot of a dissident, framed for a horrible crime, who escapes and fights back, it could work.

Would it be worth the effort? That's the same question you can ask of any new TV series.

Silver badge

" Jacqueline Pearce"

But who could play that part?

Uma Thurman?

To be honest all the 'goodies' were rubbish -- or is it the leather that reminds me of the series?

Anonymous Coward

R4Extra - Blake's 7: The Early Years

Not really a fan of the tv series,

but the radio adaptation has been listenable so far.

Currently running the prequel -

Blake's 7: The Early Years

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00sp6cg/broadcasts/2013/08

Followed next week by -

Blake's 7

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00d28pd/episodes/guide

Silver badge

Re: R4Extra - Blake's 7: The Early Years

@Elmer Phud (and other Jacqueline Pearce fans) - may I recommend the film "White Mischief"?

Tilda Swinton would be great at it.

Or (because she's brilliant in everything) Jodie Foster, and she's just had a practice run in 'Elysium'.

MJI
Silver badge

Servilan did nothing for me.

I prefered Jenna Stannis / Sally Knyvette, Cally / Jan Chappell, and of course Soolin / Glynis Barber

Oh FFS leave it alone, it belongs as it was done - a low buck turn of a decade Sci Fi romp that was suitable for early evening viewing. Avon has been done already a perfect study in a cold devious anti-hero. No one could top that interpretation of the role.

(I always thought Blake was a bit of a wimp - Avon was much cooler!)

Anonymous Coward

Liberator: "Sorry but my SkyDrive based star charts are currently offline, no information is available for reconnection time"

MrT
Bronze badge

"Zen...

...set course and speed: Cygnus Alpha, time distort 12"

"Unable to comply. All speeds above time distort 4 are only available if you upgrade your Liberator account from Standard to Gold. Please provide a valid credit card number to authorise this transaction."

The Liberator's progress-through-space bar will be hilarious.

Blakes 7 was without doubt my favourite SciFi as a kid, if it's a really good remake then I will be very happy. What are the chances of that though? I hope it's good but can't help getting that sinking feeling it will be really and truly shockingly awful.....

I'll believe it when I say it.

They've been talking about Blakes 7 reboots for 15 years or so. It won't happen.

And let's face it, if they have an Avon that isn't Paul Darrow it will be shit.

And the real Paul Darrow is too old, see Law and Order: UK.

Re: I'll believe it when I say it.

Darrow's involvement might be enough to get Avonism's into the new actor. He own the rights to B7.

Bronze badge
Coat

How to restart Blake's Seven

Avon walked out of the shower, bare skin glistening with droplets of water, and reached for his hair-dryer...

(The one with the teleport bracelet in the pocket

Re: How to restart Blake's Seven

"Avon walked out of the shower, bare skin glistening with droplets of water, and reached for his hair-dryer..."

If my memory of what the guns looked like on the liberator, he probably then shot himself in the head while trying to dry his hair.

Silver badge

There is hope

Martin Campbell directed the 1985 BBC series Edge of Darkness, which was apparently well thought of.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edge_of_Darkness#Broadcast_and_critical_reception

Continuing with the optimism, Battlestar Gallactica was well served by a remake.

I'm not putting money on this new Blake's 7 being great, but thought that I might try and balance some of the negativity here!

Anonymous Coward

Re: There is hope

The BG reboot was zero risk - there was no horde of hardcore fans to care if it had been a massive fail. B7 is a totally different proposition.

Silver badge
Unhappy

Re: There is hope

"The BG reboot was zero risk"

Good for a while, ballsed up in the last season!

Thumb Down

"this handsome ex-soldier sits up, and looks at a photo of his wife Rachel. Beautiful. Deceased.”

Another tired old cliche. Why does he have to be handsome and why does she need to be beautiful?

Has no one quite realised why most American SF shows just fade away after a season or two? All lip gloss and no substance. Perfect teeth isn't a substitute for a decent plot and good actors.

Remember "Murder One" with the mesmerising Daniel Benzali? Not pin up material, so after the success of S1 they replaced him with a "more" camera-friendly version. Show cancelled...

American remake of Red Dwarf: remember what they did to the character of Lister? Show cancelled...

Anonymous Coward

Did they really make an American version of Red Dwarf? sacrilege Americans don't eat curry so they probably substituted it for tortillas.

Facepalm

I'm feeling a little suicidal this morning can you provide links to the American remake of Red Dwarf

Coat

Tit for ..er... tat?

How about a Star Trek spinoff, with ships solely piloted by Mancunians or Liverpudlians?

You could also have one with Glaswegians, vs er.. people from Edinburgh?

Any other suggestions?

Happy

Re: Tit for ..er... tat?

What? You mean like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Khrpy4V0-U4

ISP
Thumb Up

Re: Tit for ..er... tat?

Been done by the Chewin the Fat gang, see here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcPgsMqPQpI

Silver badge

can you provide links

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1uTqA9jWWE

Part one of 'Red Dwart USA'... You watch it, I wanna liiive!

Zot
Bronze badge

The original started surprisingly raw and gritty.

The new one will have young dimwits having 'issues' and dumb grievances that are easy to write and understand by the sober and inexperienced suited guys who don't know what they are talking about.

It will.

Silver badge
Joke

Re: The original started surprisingly raw and gritty.

The Federation is ebil! They blocked Facebook and Twitter. Dude!

Sequel Script, Page 1, Line 1:

And then Avon woke up and Blake was in the shower.

TRT
Silver badge

Blake's 7 post-liberator is like...

Microsoft Office.

"One humbly observes, sir, that you might be attempting to navigate a course through the Magellan dust cloud. Would you like some help with that?"

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.