back to article Google to snub Samsung, hand Nexus 10 to Asus – report

Google has dumped Samsung as the maker of its Nexus 10 fondleslabs and switched to Taiwanese manufacturer Asus, reports Geek.com. The report cited "multiple sources" as claiming the Nexus 10 refresh would be available on the Google Play Store in time for the holiday season. A screen capture of a retailer's leaked stock lookup …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Infidellic_

Ugh

I hate that phrase "holiday season" despite being non-religious. Must we bear this contrived description for what most in the west refer to as Christmas?

1. Mattjimf

Re: Ugh

The difference is, In the US at least, they tend to try and get things out for between Thanksgiving and Christmas, so to them it is the holiday season. To the rest of what is referred to as the west, it's just November/December.

1. Richard 81
        Devil

"Happy holidays to ya!"

2. Piro Silver badge

Why don't they just say 2013 Q4 and be done with it...

3. Mark Broadhurst
      Coat

Happy Decemberween!

4. Sandtitz Silver badge
      Coat

Re: Ugh!

Festivus for the rest of us!

5. Craigness

I ignore the reactionaries and their newfangled religions. What's wrong with Saturnalia?

6. brainbone

I don't say "Christmas", because I don't celebrate Christmas. I go to the beach to avoid Christmas, but maybe I'll buy a Nexus 10 this holiday season before heading to the beach no not celebrate Christmas.

7. Anonymous John

Winterval.

2. IGnatius T Foobar
    Alert

And what of the Microsoft tax?

Are not both Samsung and Asus part of the group that pays protection money to Microsoft for each Android device sold? Before buying an N10 I want to make sure that $5 to $15 of the cost is *not* being sent to Redmond to cover their bogus patents.

1. ratfox
      Happy

Re: And what of the Microsoft tax?

Hmmm… You could buy "Microsoft offsets", which consist in calling Microsoft support until you cost them $5…? That way, you could buy a device and still be Microsoft-neutral!

I should start a company.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

... Are you dogbert?

2. Andy Roid McUser
      Facepalm

I'm so tired I read that as 'Microsoft Holiday Tax' and wondered how they got the airlines to sign a bogus patent deal.

whatever next.. bedroom tax ?? Oh wait.

going to sleep under my desk for a while until this MS iFog has cleared from my brain...

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Amazing how much Microsoft can milk out of consumers for a few lines of code they didn't even write.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"And next Galaxy Nexus mobe..."

Seeing as Galaxy is a Samsung brand name I'm pretty sure that there will not be another "Galaxy Nexus" made by Motorola!

4. ElNumbre

Does it matter?

Does it matter who builds the devices when Google set out to make them the 'reference' devices in the particular category? As I understand it, whether it is a Sammy or an Asus or whomever, the accessories for those other devices won't usually work with the Google branded product (standardised microusb and headphone socket excluded). Id love a Google version of the ASUS Transformer, but I can't see it happening.

1. CmdrX3

Re: Does it matter?

A Google version of Transformer from Asus themselves is unlikely. The custom ROM's over at XDA are about as close as you are going to get. I'm using a custom Jellybean ROM on a TF101 and to be honest it whistles along far better than Asus's own ICS ROM which was a bit of a laggy buggy clusterfuck. I've always found the custom ROM's far superior to Asus's own.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

missing sub-header

PEAK SAMSUNG

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmmmm

Is TIZEN on the horizon?

Just asking

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why would Samsung want to build the Nexus 10 to complete with it's own Galaxy products?

Samsung needs no help from Google to dominate the Android marketplace already.

If I had a choice between two identical tablets, one call the Nexus 10 and one called the Galaxy 10, I'm going with the Galaxy.

8. Azzy

Well duh...

Nexus 7, made by Asus. Great device, sells in great numbers (for an android tablet)

Nexus 10, made by Samsung. Uninspiring device, doesn't sell.

Google is doing exactly what anyone would do in the situation. Tell Sammy to take a hike, and hire Asus to do it right.

Note that I suspect Samsung didn't really try (or maybe even tried to sabotage it), since they didn't want to cannibalize their own product line...

9. Mikel

Asus gets the next Nexus 10

But not the next Nexus 7. They're not building that one.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like