Feeds

back to article Netflix dares UK freetards: Watch new Breaking Bad NOW or torrent it?

Video-on-demand service Netflix will give viewers on both sides of the Atlantic near instant access to one of the most anticipated TV drama climaxes: the final episodes of Breaking Bad. Streaming the brand new, hotly awaited programmes to UK fans within hours of their premiere in America is seen as an industry first and a clear …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Meh

Re: Do i look like i care

Your commenting so I can assume you care about something related to the topic or you would have ignored it.

Anonymous Coward

Assume you meant 'you're commenting' but are from America or somewhere else where English is not the first language....

FAIL

Firstly this won't stop piracy, as exclusive deals with single providers means that piracy will live on, and that won't change until the industry changes it's ideas on signing exclusivity periods.

Secondly, where are the idiots that constantly boycott anything Sony? I don't see a single post about SonyBMG, rootkits, OtherOS and all the other crap they always post. Are they being hypocrites and cherrypicking what parts of Sony they want to lump together and what ones they want to keep separate, so as not to miss their favourite shows?

Anonymous Coward

51,000 seeders at one point....

Silver badge

I must be getting old

no-one in my peer group has mentioned this program let alone recommended it - and some of my peer group will need to go into stasis to be present when all of their media gets played.

Re: I must be getting old

I am still gobsmacked that it was never aired in the UK, think C5 may have showed the first series, it's a great well acted, well written show. It gets rave reviews in the USA but somehow was never suited to the UK market (unlike a load of other crap)

Silver badge

> I am still gobsmacked that it was never aired in the UK

To be fair, the trailers (from what I recall) were of some middle aged guy running around in his underpants. Even if the programme was better than that, it was a big turn off chez moi, hence never made it onto the list of "must see's"

Anonymous Coward

It was aired in the UK, C5 only did a limited few. Then it was FX (as was) and 5usa both on sky and (I think) virgin too) I think Bravo picked it up briefly too (sky again)

It wasn't all aired on UK terrestrial TV though.

Bronze badge

One of the major channels did air the first season quite a while after it aired in the US. I remember being quite surprised seeing it on when flicking through one time. I thought it was channel 4, but I could be wrong. Whichever one it was certainly didn't make a song and dance about it though. There wasn't much in the way of marketing, and it certainly wasn't on at a premium time.

It is a shame really, as it's considerably better than the majority of TV output of both the UK and the US.

Silver badge

What on earth?

Breaking Bad is easily one of the best shows that has been around recently. Fantastic.

I don't think shows are picked for TV based on their adverts. Not to mention when it was on UK TV I don't remember any song or dance about it, when say compared to Suits (which is a good show, but basically chewing gum) were Dave went balls to the wall and helped dispel the myth that had - "if its on Dave its a repeat or shit."

I just question why is such a massive American TV show never made it across, nearly every other other has in some form (The Wire, Mad Men, The Sopranos, Lost etc. etc.) and Breaking Bad is right up there among those other highly recieved shows. Not all those shows were on terrestrial TV but I'd believe most people would have heard of them in some form. r

Thumb Up

"The show so powerful, you binge watch it on Netflix. So all-consuming, you push it on your friends even if they don't watch TV. And so addicting, you can't shut up about it. It's basically like drugs."

http://youtu.be/oDqGAUvWKkU

The Family Guy version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIom3LSbB0I

US

Over here in the US, it looks like piracy is still the way to go. The new shows aren't on Netflix.

Silver badge
Linux

Re: US

They may not be on Netflix but they are on PPV streaming services.

Come on, 5pm

Its been a looooooooooong day at work waiting to get home to see this.

No, i'm not lucky enough to be in a position to watch it at work :-(

I hope it works

Otherwise the freetards will just prove all the networks were right and they just won't pay whatever service is offered.

Silver badge

Skip the middle man

> Otherwise the freetards will just prove all the networks were right

And if it does work, the logical question that the programme makers will start to ask is: who needs cable TV at all?

Re: I hope it works

I would be willing too put money on around 10% using this and the other 90% who have been using the "I don't want to wait" excuse finding some other reason (probably some half baked "moral" reason).

Silver badge

Actually, doing worldwide releases, or releasing internationally first does seem to be curtailing piracy, even here in Mexico "pirate paradise" land. Of course, the ones that aren't moved to the legal channels are the ones in the poor group, who use an entirely different argument on why they pirate: DVDs cost as much as 3 days of their salary. (And even then I'd argue STOP buying them at all! I'm irked at seeing SKY dishes in slum neighborhoods...)

Bronze badge

I'm tempted to sling them the money, and torrent it anyway. It's just more convenient for me.

Anonymous Coward

"I would be willing too put money on around 10% using this and the other 90% who have been using the "I don't want to wait" excuse finding some other reason (probably some half baked "moral" reason)."

It's still a worse product.

When it comes down to it the pirates have it pretty much as soon as it's shown, you can download it, watch it on any device you like, recode, transcode, down-res, whatever.

Netflix also edited the early seasons of Breaking Bad for no apparent reason.

These are not justifications for breaking the law, but they are reasons.

That said, this is all very encouraging. Now if they could make it so they have more than half a dozen decent movies to stream too, they might be on to something.

Anonymous Coward

Breaking Bad in 720p was available on Usenet within 5 minutes of the end of the closing credits in America already editied without the ads etc. Do not ask me how I know...

I am sure that I have seen some shows that start to be uploaded slightly before the end of the showing in America. What are they doing editing it as it is being shown? Do they actually watch the show or just capture and edit and watch it later?

Windows

>What are they doing editing it as it is being shown?

I bet they using some new fangled technology to do it...

Back in the day we used to have to jump out of our seats and hit the pause button on the Video Cassette Recorder, jump up see, no remotely controlling, not at first. Ah then came the wired controller, wow, you could play and pause, fast wind forward and back, all from the slightly less inconvenient distance away from the VCR unit than actually having to touch it but still having to lift the rump enough to let daylight shine between it and your seat...

And we still call them the 'good' old days? Feck it, I love this 'almost like the future is here now' time and can't wait until we're able to watch TV shows BEFORE THEY'RE EVEN MADE!

Ooops...

*shuffles off back to his cave (which has a newly acquired C64 awaiting a VDU - yeah that's what we called 'em when we used 8-bit computers, and it is an 8-bit computer so it needs a VDU, okay? hmmm? gots a problem with that?! where's me stick and I'll wave it atchye!)*

Silver badge

It aired in the Netherlands before the US.

A stripped subtitles layer from the transport stream later, and you're done.

Pure speculation, though, I don't know which rip that was.

Smart move

I think this is a brilliant idea. Having to wait so long to watch content you know is already out there but just not licensed for your country yet is really frustrating and definitely a temptation to just download it from other illegitimate sources.

Meh

Re: Smart move

Agreed, its well past due that the entertainment industry allows fast and easy content delivery for a sane price. In fact, this might have got me to sign up to netflix ( ...if I didn't already have newsgroups subscription, which has been merrily grabbing all my favourite shows automatically for me for quite some time.)

Herin lies the problem. Pirating has become so commonplace in the past few years while the industry sat on its arse. They industry is going to have to pull something very special out of the bag to tempt people back from the dark side.

This, whist a nice gesture, probably won't do it. Its just 9 episodes of one show (albeit a good one).

Until something is universally decent, and gets ALL of the episodes of ALL of the shows you want to watch, its not going to be able to compete with pirating.

Silver badge

Re: Smart move

Ditto. I hope this works out. I'm not a fan of the show, I did watch about half the first series. Some people will always pirate, but there has to be a decent market out there for people for whom linear TV isn't worth the money, even with a dvr, but where streaming with decent content at a sane price could be a win for everyone. Lets hope this is just the start. I cancelled out TW cable tv package a couple of years back. Replaced an $80 a month charge with netflix at $8, we already had amazon prime for the delivery service and every now and again I will get hulu for a month. Unless the big companies get their act together they are losing money.

It's frustrating to be in a position where you want to pay a fair price for a service, something many others seem to want as well, but you can't legally get it because it might just upset someones little world. If they want their $80 a month back they need to offer something that warrants it.

its working for me. No excuse for piracy now.

Silver badge

I pretty much stopped downloading most stuff when Crunchyroll came out. Netflix just got me to cancel my TV license.

Anonymous Coward

How do you legally cancel your TV License then? I hardly ever watch live TV now. We live in an area with no terestrial coverage. I do have Freesat with a Humax PVR but I have not recorded anything on for ages. At £5.99 Netflix is meeting all our viewing needs. If I could save £12 a month funding the communist BBC then thats a big saving in my book.

I know I would have to get rid of the Humax, but would I have to replace my TV with a monitor without a tuner?

Bronze badge

You pay a license to watch TV, not to own one. Unplug the aerial, and if you're really that bothered let the nice man in next time he calls round to check. You'll have to put up with the begging/harrasment letters from TVLA though, although I used to send them back with "no junk mail please" written on them.

Bronze badge
Mushroom

"You pay a license to watch TV, not to own one. Unplug the aerial, and if you're really that bothered let the nice man in next time he calls round to check"

See here for how to do it properly: http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/what-if-a-tv-licence-is-not-needed-top12/

Personally, I just tell them it's a radio goldfish bowl....

TV licence

You can declare that a licence is not required at your address (https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/nln/), then they stop hassling you for a while.

You only need the licence if you watch "live" broadcast TV.

Anonymous Coward

"You'll have to put up with the begging/harrasment letters from TVLA though, although I used to send them back with "no junk mail please" written on them."

You rebel, you.

Silver badge

"and if you're really that bothered let the nice man in next time he calls round to check."

No. Never. NEVER let the man in. All they have to do is prove there's a signal on the TV and they have you, no matter how tenuous it may be. They have been observed sticking a finger in the aerial socket and using their own body as an aerial.

Besides, if they see a TV they just assume you're unplugged it while they're around and send court summons. Given it's impossible to prove a negative, once that happens you're screwed. Don't let them in. They have no right of entry unless you invite them.

Like vampires.

Funny that.

Holmes

Would you need to get rid of the Humax can you not just leave it plugged into the Internet for CatchUp TV (iPlayer etc) for which I believe you do not need a license.

Silver badge

Streaming the brand new, hotly awaited programmes to UK fans within hours of their premiere in America is seen as an industry first and a clear move to tackle copyright piracy.

You mean like the Simulticasts on Crunchyroll which airs anime with subs normally an hour or so after the original japanese episode airs?

Because really it's not much of an industry first, more like an industry second.

Anonymous Coward

About time.

It is a first for a program that isn't just watched by blokes in their underpants who live in their Mum's house. Anime, eh? Is it so hard to get a girlfriend?

FAIL

just watched by blokes in their underpants who live in their Mum's house. Anime, eh? Is it so hard to get a girlfriend?

Boxers not briefs

House in the Cotswolds, mother lives 80-odd miles away

Long term relationship

Two kids (so had sex at least twice)

Anime isn't all tentacle rape and cat eared schoolgirls. It's easy to stereotype when hiding behind that little "anonymous" tick box, eh?

Silver badge
Joke

I think a correction is due here... your wife has had sex at least twice. No evidence to show that you had anything to do with it :)

I agree, however anime doe have have an appalling sterotypical image. Often not helped by those that are obsessed with it but the anime medium does lend itself to some very diverse environments and effects to back up the plots and scenes. While this may seem odd, it does compare well to many modern "main stream" movies which have spent tens of millions on effects and "name" actors but entirely forgot about the plot.

Silver badge
Facepalm

It is a first for a program that isn't just watched by blokes in their underpants who live in their Mum's house. Anime, eh? Is it so hard to get a girlfriend?

Nope, anime isn't tentacle rape or kiddy Card Captor stuff. They've got adult stuff (that isn't the aforementioned tentacle rape hentai stuff) which has in fact permeated to mainstream Hollywood stuff. Think The Matrix, but also Elysium which seems to have ripped off Battle Angel Alita. Or Pacific Rim, which is an outright tribute to the Mecha genre and the Godzilla big monster movies.

And um... I live in my own flat since I was 20, long-term relationship with a live-in girlfriend for 4 years. Maybe it is you the one living in Mum's house?

Joke

your wife has had sex at least twice. No evidence to show that you had anything to do with it :)

Sadly(?) they are mine, they have inherited my lugs that took me 20 years to grow into... *sigh* That reminds me, need to book them into Karate lessons before they hit comprehensive school...

I doubt it'll stop the hardcore torrenters...

Simply said if your used to acquiring your media from a certain outlet, you'll continue doing so.

What pisses me off is the neanderthal atitude fo network TV execs with regards to online streaming.

E.G. Why cant the BBC, ITV, C4, 5 all have every programme they output accross their channels on catch up? And why are some shows available for longer than others?

E.G. 5 showed Sons of Anarchy S5 earlier this year, and it was on demand 5 - but now they are repeating it on 5usa - it's not. The only outlet I can get it is through purchasing it at a greatly over-inflated price.

I have to wait indefinitely for netflix to get it.

Same goes for Dexter season 7.

I am NOT paying £25 a show for HD versions, nor am I going to pay Sky £50 a month to watch a handful of shows.

Netflix has been going great guns of late, and it's more watched in our house than mainstream telly - Orange is the new Black, house of Cards, the back catalogue for Sons of Anarchy, and they're getting better with their movie selection.

If TV executives got their fingers out their bums then they'd see that there is demand for on-demand at a reasonable price , and they'd get a whole new bunch of people hooked on their shows in the future.

Re: I doubt it'll stop the hardcore torrenters...

Couldn't agree more. I hate it when a show disappears from iplayer before I expected, and for no reason that I can think of.

However you're not immune to this as a Netflix subscriber. I was 2/3 of the way through rewatching Stargate : SG1 on Netflix when it vanished overnight. Netflix only rent licenses to shows, and so when the license runs out, if they choose not to renew, the show disappears. That said, in general, Netflix's catalogue seems to be pretty stable.

Silver badge

E.G. Why cant the BBC, ITV, C4, 5 all have every programme they output accross their channels on catch up? And why are some shows available for longer than others?

Probably because they don't own the rights to the programs in question outright. Licencing can be quite complicated from what I understand (although why we should pay for the media industry's refusal or inability to make things simpler and more palatable to the viewers is another matter)

Bronze badge

I will point out that I have suffered a number of problems recently with the legit streaming services of Iplayer and 4OD.

On linux I cannot access 4OD any more which seems due to their DRM stuff. Some windows systems have been affected too leading to channel 4 putting up a webpage explaining the problem and suggesting a solution (flash problem) which doesnt seem to work in my experience.

Iplayer worked fine until a couple of months back when the audio would continue but the video wouldnt. This happened on both linux and windows.

The legit routes are not always possible and it irritates me as I wont pirate. Especially irritating is the extremely long release gap for some shows from the US to europe. Especially to release for DVD. Surely the aim is to provide this content so people will pay for it? Subscription and disk.

Kudo's to netflix for releasing near to the US release and hopefully it will attract the breaking bad crowd. But there is so much good TV which needs releasing at realistic pace.

Anonymous Coward

I have Sky

I have netflix (well the other half has it)

I have Cineworld unlimited card (as does the other half)

I'm in the UK, so have access to iPlayer, 4oD etc.

I have a nice collection of DVDs

Yet I still torrent. All things that I can watch legally.

Why? Its easier. I don't have to have a live connection to Netflix (and risk my phone's bandwidth limit) to watch a TV show on the train.

I can watch something while recording other channels on sky.

I can watch something that was on TV without having to wait for it to constantly buffer (yes, you can download iPlayer and watch on a PC, but that doesn't work on my tablet)

And I can catch that after credit scene that I missed by leaving when everyone else had at the cinema.

I can watch that DVD where I like.

Like I say, I still have legal access to these films/TV shows, but a torrented download is nicely DRM free and so portable.

Am I still breaking the law?

Blimey. The BBC's been about for a long time, and currently has six or seven channels. Granted, they're not all 24hrs and don't all run original content when they are on. And then there are the radio shows too. But the amount of data they generate and have generated since they started broadcasting is quantified in the FUCKLOADS category, if not closing in on at least a megafuckload. Hosting all that and making an episode of The Archers from the 70's, or Eastenders from May 1994, available on request might cost them a fuckload of cash that they can't afford. When BBC / ITV buy the rights to show a film or TV series they do so for that instance. Repeat showing and making it available for download all costs them money in terms of storage, infrastructure, fees to the distributer etc etc..

The BBC do have a program (not programme) in place to digitise all their content. Making it available to all of use licence fee payers will no doubt come along, but it won't be cheap and it won't be fast.

Also, the BBC make a load of cash from DVDs. Remove that income source and you'll suddenly loose the money to pay for something else

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.