back to article Child abuse ransomware tweaked to tout bogus antivirus saviours

Cybercrooks have found another application for ransomware, the horrible software that locks up a PC until money is handed over: it's now being used to push fake antivirus onto victims. Reveton - a widespread piece of ransomware that infects machines, falsely accuses marks of downloading images of child abuse and demands a fine …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Flakey

Whats New?

So whats the difference between this ransomeware and the Cheshire Constabulary ransomware that has been around for ages and does exactly the same thing? Time to get up to speed people.

1. Captain Scarlet Silver badge
      Childcatcher

Re: Whats New?

People only tend to find out about it when it happens to them (And they frantically require an IT expert to check as they dont want to be arrested).

Like Phising unless someone actually experiences it they won't take notice.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Whats New?

And what about these "dodgy marketing firms" -- are there any other kinds?

2. Mark Allen

2011 News Feed

Has someone pressed the wrong button at El'Reg and started posting old news from years ago?

Or is that "Security Researcher" quoted just massively out of date? For those of us dealing with these issues on home and small business PCs this is ancient news. This stuff has been going round for years. Constantly mutating to keep the Anti-Virus makers on their toes.

I wouldn't bother with that "experts" view. If he is posting this as "news", then he is not much of a researcher.

Best way of dealing with this kind of stuff? A Linux Boot Disk. Lets you get in and clear this obvious crud away.

This example is not really "ransomware" when all it is really doing is running a program at startup. Especially as that one looks so lame that even a Safe Mode boot would defeat it.

1. Testee

Re: 2011 News Feed

The fact that Reveton is dropping FakeAV _is_ news, you absolute cretin.

Given that you're "dealing with these issues on home and small business PCs" it's hardly a surprise you have no real understanding or comprehension of the ramifications this type of modification heralds.

Let's put this in plain terms, so you might comprehend: Reveton is a family of ransomware (notice the lack of quotes?), that _typically_ locks the shell; the fact it's no longer exclusively utilising this vector is what makes this newsworthy.

Perhaps, next time, a few less quotation marks and a bit more understanding, eh?

BTW: Showing knowledge of removal approaches taught by laymen, to laymen, is hardly something to boast about.

3. Old Handle

Ummm

I'm pretty sure this scam actually predates CP version.

4. ecofeco Silver badge

This is news?

Not that there is anything wrong with constant reminders.

But the fake anti-virus thing has been going for, what, years now.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Ransomware that locks up a PC ..

"Cybercrooks have found another application for ransomware, the horrible software that locks up a PC until money is handed over"

"Trojan:W32/Reveton is a ransomware application .. Disinfection & Removal .. As the computer restarts but before Windows launches, press F8."

6. btrower

Good news

I am oddly cheery about this. I feel for the victims and hope it gets shut down quickly, but I think it is good for this profound vulnerability to be publicized in this way. For some time now I have been concerned that pushing illegal material on to people's machines will be used to attack enemies and quiet dissent. I believe it still will be, but the more we see stories like this, the more ammunition people will have for defense.

I expect that, once you have any indication of a real child predator, you will be able to gather convincing evidence of their guilt -- *if* they are. I do not worry that by aggressively tossing out false positives we will somehow miss really bad people.

Bradley Manning suffered through hundreds of days of torture. The disregard for the law that allowed that to happen to him could well be turned on one of us next. A truly vicious vector for such a thing would be planted criminal imagery and horrific charges, quality and provenance of evidence be damned. For people with kids (like me), violent imagery against children is a real hot-button. It tends to shut down brains and people are so hostile about it that they don't care if the accused rights are violated. They should, because the mechanism used to violate anybody's rights is aimed squarely at them and you and I.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bastards

Mate of mine did some dodgy surfing and copped for the newest fbi warning virus. Encrypted all his jpegs.

None of the usual cleaners work as the new variants store the decryption key on a server, not locally like they used to.....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like