back to article Got a couple spare million? Grab an original Monet on Amazon

Amazon.com may have started out selling books, but it soon branched out into CDs, DVDs, software, electronics, apparel, and more. Now the world's largest e-tailer has taken an upscale turn with the debut of Amazon Art, a new online marketplace for fine artworks. Screenshot of Amazon Art page Your next wall decoration could be ' …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Bronze badge

5 million for a Rockwell...damn. That leads me to ask how Amazon receives and trusts the appraisals. Is there certified Amazon "partners" for this, or do they just trust the seller? Art is a tricky thing to price, not like a circular saw. You can see someone selling a circular saw for 300, but that is MSRP based. If you used the pricing of art for circular saws, one seller might list it at 300, while another 30,000.

Anonymous Coward

Sawblades you say?

Couldn't resist. Not on Amazon but here for more than 300...

http://www.discogs.com/buy/CDr/Isis-Sawblade-EP/98788946?ev=bp_titl

Greed

I like art, it can inspire and invoke emotion and thought.

Why would you want to take it and keep it for yourself? Guessing that wasn't what the artist had in mind when painting it...

Bronze badge

Re: Greed

Actually the term "Starving Artist" comes from the fact they couldn't sell their paintings. The reason they were starving, is because they were trying to make money by selling and couldn't! Today all art has a picture on the internet (or just about), so who owns the original is a novelty/snobby right. Although there is people who love to hoard art only for it's dimensions and colours, they are few and far between.

An art gallery I applied at was nothing but snobs, and I couldn't tell you if any of them deserved and money at all, but they sure thought they did. It is one thing to be snobby and demanding if you are someone like Albert Hitchcock, but when you are M. Night Shyamalan, you should rethink your attitude or nobody will bother to work with you.

Bronze badge
WTF?

"if you are someone like Albert Hitchcock"

Albert Hitchcock? The Group CIO of Vodafone?

Pint

"if you are someone like Albert Hitchcock"

Albert Hitchcock? The Group CIO of Vodafone?

Forget it. He's rolling.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums