back to article iiNet to buy Adam Internet

iiNet has announced it will acquire Adam Internet for $AUD60m. The announcement comes just weeks after Telstra abandoned its quest to acquire the ISP. Telstra's ambitions were roundly criticised as anti-competitive when it announced its intentions in October 2012, with Vodafone Hutchinson Australia, iiNet and Macquarie Telecom …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Bronze badge
FAIL

irrelevant

useless having anymore ISPs or increases in ISP market share if comms infrastructure is choked or not there.

Yet another ISP disappears because they cannot make the transition to the NBN, because of NBNCo's artificial pricing structures. Simon Hackett first outlined this in 2010 on his blog and since then we've seen a disappearance of ISPs, including Internode.

Nah, thats not true. Adam have signed an agreement for wholesale NBN access and already offer it.

https://www.adam.com.au/products/adamnbn

WTF?

Signing an agreement for wholesale NBN access and being able to afford it once the bills start rolling in are two completely different things. There is another crunch coming when NBNCo stop providing 150Mbps of free CVC. This is currently saving RSPs $3000/month at each POI.

This is the original article by Simon Hackett: http://blog.internode.on.net/2010/12/19/nbn-points-of-interconnect-and-the-future-of-competition/. At the time Simon wrote "Internode is large enough to do this, but I am a bit concerned for anyone who is much smaller than we are.", and Adam were smaller. Both are now part of iiNet.

This is a good thing. Adam has been my ISP for nearly 10 years, and in that time ive been very happy with the local support from knowledgeable and helpful people, and with usually no wait to speak to them on the phone.

When telstra where looking to buy Adam, I figured that if they closed down the local office then I would move to iinet as a backup plan. Apparently the Adam owners were looking to cash in, so if they had to go somewhere Im happy that it is iinet. From all reports they look after their customers too, and I have a lot of respect for them taking the battle against AFACT to the high court, and winning at every level[1].

[1] but also thanks to the other ISPs that backed iinets efforts too.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums