New nested comment indentation layout - really?

This topic was created by Haku .

1. Haku
    Unhappy

New nested comment indentation layout - really?

Dear El Reg,

Why do you keep changing the forum layout for the worse? It's all looking uglier and uglier.

Recently the flat-look colourless design, with the need to click a tab to select the forum icon which has now been shifted over to the right hand side.

And now replies to existing comments are 'nested' by shifting the left hand edge of the text area more to the right, causing them to be squashed up into a smaller space, meaning long comment replies get even taller on screen.

Can you put it all back please, we don't like it :(

2. E Haines

A more serious problem is what happens if you zoom your text at all, so it's anything larger than the (tiny) default size. Try it...most nested comments become a single vertical line of text, rendering them unreadable. I suspect someone has used pixels in the CSS somewhere where it really should be ems. I typically have text set to not display smaller than 14pts, because while I can read smaller text, I'd prefer to avoid the eyestrain thankyouverymuch. So basically the recent change has broken the comments view, since this wasn't a problem before. It should be standard practice while developing websites to occasionally zoom your text in and out to ensure you haven't improperly hard-coded something in a browser-breaking fashion.

3. Pet Peeve

Skinny columns

I have the skinny columns problem too, where the indented text doesn't fill up the whole box (current firefox, mac). I thought it might be zoomed text, but I tried resetting that and it's still messed up. Oddly, on another machine running the same browser version, it works fine.

1. S4qFBxkFFg
      Unhappy

Re: Skinny columns

Same here,

pretty

much all

the

comments

I see

(except

my own,

weirdly)

end up

looking

like this

(but

without

the spaces

between

the lines)

once

they're

nested to

any

degree.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Re: Skinny columns

Not sure what happened here - but it should be fixed.

1. E Haines
          Thumb Up

Re: Skinny columns

And lo, it was fixed! Thanks.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon