back to article Geneticists resolve human dilemma of Adam's boy-toy status

The largest-ever study of the male Y chromosome has shown that the so-called "Adam" – the most common genetic ancestor to modern humans – is much older than previously thought, which solves a troubling dilemma for geneticists. Geneticists have spent a lot of time examining the genes of humans in the hope for finding what's …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Silver badge

Reaching the Americas 15,000 years ago

There are some alternate theories that the Americas were reached well before this time over the sea versus the Alaska land bridge, but the evidence is mostly underwater due to sea level changes. So while 15,000 probably is a fixed point, it shouldn't be taken as a certainty.

Silver badge
Angel

Re: Reaching the Americas 15,000 years ago

That is impossible. I have it on good authority (a collection of heavily edited and repeatedly badly translated documents, subjectively interpreted) the earth is only 6000 years old. Yet more proof that this science thing is a sham, nothing more than people failing a test left to challenge their faith ;)

Bronze badge

Re: Reaching the Americas 15,000 years ago

You forget, the Clovis people died out and were replaced later.

That hints at two waves, one extinct and one surviving (well, nearly so, on reservations) today.

I've watched Fox news

"...humanity reaching the Americas"

Debatable

Bronze badge

Re: I've watched Fox news

'"...humanity reaching the Americas"

Debatable'

Not debatable at all. Various groups arrived in the Americas in the ancient past.

Their groups were later diluted and nearly exterminated due to the poor behavior of some English subjects who later became revolting.

Silver badge
Joke

I don't know, I've looked over at the Americas a couple times, and there are very VERY few signs of any human intelligence.

Are you certain you got your facts straight?

g e
Silver badge
Coat

That would explain all the Spanish-speaking and Smallpox then

really Iian ? .. you might think we are a backward christian theocracy .. but all most all of us did go to school to the point of learning geology and how the solar system and earth were formed and how long ago .. ditto with life .. evolution .. Y .. and X chromosomes too ! .. 30% may say they believe in the bible .. or Jesus .. but there is no way 30% think the world is just 10,000 years old

Bronze badge
Paris Hilton

Really 0_Flybert_0

One of your Senators doesnt believe in Global Warming because it isnt mentioned IN THE BIBLE!!

(I dont believe in man-made Global warming either, but at least I am an agnostic).

Is global warming caused by Paris and too many other "hot" looking women??

Silver badge

@ 0_Flybert_0

I understand your disbelief, but that would then suggest that the Yougov polling method is a pile of crap. It would be very instructive to see the results of the same poll conducted here in the UK. If it showed much more than 10% believing that it's all down to God then I'd certainly suspect the polling method.

Anonymous Coward

@Ian Emery

"One of your Senators doesnt believe in Global Warming because it isnt mentioned IN THE BIBLE!!" which means that 30% of the US population believes that the earth is 10,000 years old?

You're not as smart as you think.

WTF?

but all most all of us did go to school to the point of learning geology and how the solar system and earth were formed and how long ago

It's a pity you didn't spend your time in school learning how to spell or form a sentence correctly.

Anyhow, I digress. The fact that schools in the US are allowed teach creationism doesn't help dispel the notion that you Americans are backward yokels who think that dinosaurs roamed the earth at the same time as Jesus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoqSas2uFKw

Anonymous Coward

Mind you - some British schools also teach fairy stories as well.

Mind you - some British schools also teach fairy stories as well.

True. It's not just the hardcore Christians - Islamic schools teach this creationist/intelligent design nonsense too.

The French have the right idea...

Anonymous Coward

I was actually talking about the classics by the Grimm brothers, Hans Christian Anderson etc...

Anonymous Coward

Of course dinosaurs existed the same time as Jesus. I mean, they existed the same time as Fred Flintstone didn't they?

Joke

Meet the flintstones...

Bugger me! Are you saying Fred Flintstone was Jesus??? So i guess that makes Wilma Mary Magdelene. Hmm is Barney, Peter or Judas?

Anonymous Coward

Evolution ? Not for most Americans

We Yanks are proud of the fact that we are dumb enough to believe Bishop Usher when he calculated all the begats in the Bible back to 4004 BC.

God must have created science to have something to laugh at or perhaps just to test our faith.

Of course, there are many books of the Bible missing between Exodus and Deuteronomy, but that's one of God's jokes, too.

Silver badge

(@ AC 3rd August 2013 14:25 GMT)

"I was actually talking about the classics by the Grimm brothers, Hans Christian Anderson etc..."

Yeah, but those schools don't tell children that those fairy tales are true.

Silver badge
Paris Hilton

Re: @ 0_Flybert_0

It'd probably be pretty instructive to come over here and see all the religious retards first-hand, especially in the Southeast. They're not so bad in Orlando itself, but go to one of the rinky-dink towns like Sparr, Ocala or Oviedo, and it'll be a culture shock.

I could tell dozens of stories, but you'd owe me a lot of beer.

Paris, because even she's not that stupid.

This post has been deleted by its author

Anonymous Coward

dinosaurs

They did roam the Earth at the same time as Jesus. I can't stop my wife putting out food for them.

To misquote Terry Pratchett, there are things that are believed only by backward societies and by scientists.

Silver badge

Of course they don't think the world is 10,000 years old, as God created it on 5th October 3761BC, about 5773 years ago.

Silver badge

They teach it in Religious Studies, and they teach a variety of different religions.

FAIL

About??

I love how it was "about" 5773 years ago, and yet there is an exact date attached to it.

Bronze badge

Re: Really 0_Flybert_0

I have to give Ian this one.

During my over half century of life, I've watched a less than secular United States become secular, then begin to advance even to less than previous in secular, with near religious war ready to break out.

But then, there are people like me giving pause to the farthest of the right. For, when they "denounce" me as "liberal" and remind me of their guns, I initiate a comparison of firearms in our mutual collections. I usually win, when I don't, a mutual admiration of historic items defuses the idiocy. Then, we talk about austere environmental operations, then digress to protecting our kids and grandkids.

Fairly often, I win a convert. The rest of the time, the childless idiot, who frequently lacks a mate, is cowed.

If I can't get respect due another human, I'll accept fear.

For, what is operative is not what one *would* do, but what others perceive what you *may* do. ;)

Bronze badge

"It's a pity you didn't spend your time in school learning how to spell or form a sentence correctly."

In part, I blame England for not documenting the language properly until after the American independence. In part, I blame the US educational system.

For my generation and a short period prior, I'd blame the former, after, I'd have to largely blame the latter.

As in when I went to school, my school had a donated observatory with a quite competent telescope, many electron microscopes, worked with live reagents in chemistry.

When our children went to school, one electron microscope was about and not available to students, the observatory was removed and destroyed, there were not reagents, only M&M's.

And that was on the "college preparatory" course level!

Bronze badge

"Mind you - some British schools also teach fairy stories as well."

When I was in high school, we had comparative culture and religion classes in our culture class.

Such stories would be considered valuable in those classes.

Not so valuable as a factual educational class.

When I was in school, we were educated in "the new math", which meant that we understood sets, subsets, statistics, etc. Hence, I can spend ages balancing my checkbook due to a lack in mathematical capability that is inborn, but can understand epidemiologists discussing their statistics.

Our children can balance a checkbook, but have zero clue about what statistics are about.

Bronze badge

Never met Fred, but I walked Ben Franklin to school and helped him fight off dinosaurs.

Or something. ;)

No, I'm not nearly that old, I only physically feel that old. :/

Bronze badge

Re: Evolution ? Not for most Americans

"God must have created science to have something to laugh at or perhaps just to test our faith."

I've long been a deist. A deity refuses to micromanage a single species on a seventh rate planet on a third rate solar system (I'm being overly generous here).

Still, I'm convinced that the Platypus was a joke left to confuse and confound science. ;)

Holmes

Slap the silly git author with fishes. While there are a small number of Christians around the world, not just in the Americas, who believe in a sub 10k age earth, this is not a mainstream Christian belief. There are in fact people that believe the moon landings were a hoax. Pointing out the fringe is humerus, but not when false numbers are claimed.

Terminator

It's not whether or not they teach them it's whether or not they teach them as factual or not.

I learnt about Egyptian and Greek mythology in primary scool and did Latin in secondary.

I will never forget asking in a RE class in first year of secondary school to the teacher - can't have been too many lessons in since we're starting off with the Pentateuch - if he believed any of this and he said he thought it helped. Since I found this stuff boring and the Greek and Egyptian mythologies interesting I wasn't convinced.

Anonymous Coward

Yes, but as literature!

Anonymous Coward

"5th October 3761BC, about 5773 years ago."

Which calendar was that?

Silver badge
Headmaster

@2StrokeRider

Pointing out the fringe is humerus

If you can point out your fringe with your humerus then you must have very flexible shoulder joints.

g e
Silver badge
Black Helicopters

@AC You Yanks...

Those books aren't missing, they're locked in the Vatican vault where the seriously inconvenient information within them can never reach the light of day.

Coat

"Mind you - some British schools also teach fairy stories as well."

Yes, its called the 'English Literature' subject...

Anonymous Coward

Off a couple thousand years

Ross K> doesn't help dispel the notion that you Americans are backward yokels who think that dinosaurs roamed the earth at the same time as Jesus.

There is no mention in the Bible about dinosaur like creatures living during the time of Jesus.

The book of the Bible in question is Job - there are not too many living vegetarian creatures known to man with a tail like a cedar tree. (I guess a 3000-4000 year old text shouldn't know about the diet, behavior, and anatomy of dinosaur-like creatures, unless they used similar scientific principles during the excavation of creature fossils to what is used today or the general assumption is that the creatures existed then.)

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Job+40%3A15-24&version=KJV

That is not the only reference in Job, to dinosaur-like creatures. It is really a problem either way for the sceptic: the creatures existed during the time of the writing of The Bible or the people who wrote the Bible used modern scientific techniques in excavation, reconstruction, and analysis before recording their observations. A common way to avoid this decision point is via ad hominem approach.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Evolution ? Not for most Americans (who can read)

Anon --- God must have created science to have something to laugh at or perhaps just to test our faith

~2,000 years ago, 1 Thessalonians from The Bible commanded to "Test all things". There must have been a reason for God to lay the foundation of Modern Science.

A plain reading of Genesis is very clear: the universe was created with Age. Adam was not recorded to have started as a cell, but rather fully formed, with age. The trees had age, otherwise they would not have fruit. Similar situation with light (eliminating the problem with "light years".)

Perhaps God created Atheism to ridicule those who are too ignorant to read? Perhaps, so a large number of Americans can laugh at the ADD nature of those who would fail a 3rd grade reading test?

Silver badge
Facepalm

Behemoth Read Comprehension fail

"The book of the Bible in question is Job - there are not too many living vegetarian creatures known to man with a tail like a cedar tree. "

The KJV says "He moveth his tail like a cedar..."

In more modern translations we have."Its tail sways like a cedar" (NIV) and "His tail stands up like a cedar," (Good News Translation). Nowhere does it say the Behemoth's tail was as thick as a cedar.

Re: Behemoth Read Comprehension fail

Would it not be a bit pointless describing the behemoth's tail as "like a cedar", if you did not mean to say it was a big tail?

"It's tail sways like a cedar... a baby cedar!" Not likely to impress.

Re: Off a couple thousand years

There were actually dinosaurs in the time of Jesus - right up to today! :-D

http://www.newzealand.com/travel/media/features/naturesustainable-tourism/nature_tuatara-living-dinosaur_feature.cfm

Silver badge

Sir

"under 10,000 years old"

If that were the case, it would still smell fairly new, and it doesn't. And besides, you'd still be able to see the wrapping floating around in space somewhere.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Sir

So that's where all the bubble film comes from...

plz tell me where 10k yrs came from in the bible ?there are no dates ..and man live a lot longer back then ...

it's either that or

did they take into consideration of the alien intervention of cross breeding 2 or more species

Facepalm

"... alien intervention of cross breeding 2 or more species"

That would certainly explain Bible Belt Americans...

plz tell me where 10k yrs came from in the bible ?

Counting backwards. As demonstrated by Bishop Ussher who upon arriving at a date for creation of Sunday October 23rd 4004 BC decided that it must be true, rather than disproving the whole book as the myths and ramblings of some desert tribesmen and farmers.

Silver badge
Devil

Re: plz tell me where 10k yrs came from in the bible ?

But Usher used a lot of false assumptions not actually written in the Bible. Also some stuff in the Bible he misunderstood.

There are only really identifiable date points from when Abraham leaves Ur of the Chaldeans. There is some Archaeological evidence for Nimrod, who is mentioned in passing. Really Usher was practically making it up and those that take his approach are ignoring what the Bible text says as well as definite evidence.

those that take his approach are ignoring what the Bible text says

Sounds reasonable...

Silver badge

making it up

Wonder where he got the inspiration for that ;-)

Bit cheeky really, making something up and conning lots of gullible people into believing it.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums