back to article Man who pulled gun during chess game surrenders to robot cop

A man who pulled a gun on his opponent during a late-night chess game subsequently surrendered to police following the deployment of a heavily armed enforcement robot. According to the Seattle Times, a resident in the Washington town of Bellevue had invited a neighbour over for a friendly contest of brainpower across the black …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ted 3
    Joke

I blame his guest

He should have known that this is what happens when you bring a knight to a gun fight.

1. I think so I am?
      Facepalm

Re: I blame his guest

Surely he still had a few pawns he could of sacrificed.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: "could of"

Again I point out that there is not much thinking going on, therefore you must not be.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. oolor

Wow, things have escalated in the cheap tricks people will pull to win a match. Back in the day getting pissed on under the table was about as bad as it got, but staring down a barrel, yikes.

Apparently a human working in concert with machine can take down a grand-master physically too.

5. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    WTF?

Truly nuts

He wasn't a large hairy individual who tended to communicate by a series of loud roars and grunts?

I've seen his kind before.

They tend to rip the arms off 'droids if they are losing.

6. Owen Sweeney

PWND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Turtle

And on *this* tangent we have...

I just happened to read something a very short while ago that, though only tangentially related to the topic at hand, could, without terribly great effort, nevertheless seem at least somewhat appropriate:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sark#One-person_invasion_attempt

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Mark it zero, Smokey.

1. C 18
      Coffee/keyboard

>Mark it zero, Smokey.

Over the line!

That's over the line man!

Simply the best, in this humble writer's opinion...

Thumbs up!

9. graeme leggett Silver badge

what are these robots like?

More Johnny 5 or Wheelbarrow than ED209, I guess

1. wowfood

Re: what are these robots like?

That's just what they want you to believe. It's only a matter of time until we have an ED209 hiding at every street corner, blowing out the tyres of speeding motorists, and subduing robbers in a non lethal manner... with bullets.

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
        Happy

"That's just what they want you to believe. It's only a matter of time until we have an ED209 hiding at every street corner, blowing out the tyres of speeding motorists, and subduing robbers in a non lethal manner... with bullets."

And yet strangely incapable of climbing stairs.

1. oolor

>And yet strangely incapable of climbing stairs.

To say nothing about kicking your ass, face, or balls into outer space.

10. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Not very impressed

If all that was done in the end was chuck in a few flashbangs then I have a hard time imagining why a robot was needed.

But I guess the SWAT teams were otherwise occupied, what with all the horrible, horrible filesharing going on.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

Re: Not very impressed

In all fairness, a robot can - if used correctly and in the right circumstances - significantly reduce the damage to property and bystanders.

2. Don Jefe
      Gimp

They didn't have a choice, talking to the guy for a few hours was beyond them. Modern police are, by and large, the militarized dregs of society who were either the bullies or the bullied in high school. Discourse isn't one of their strong points. The pilot of the robot probably got the job because he's got a GED; him smart.

1. disgruntled yank
        FAIL

Thank you, sir, for your illustration of discourse as a strong point. Not quite up there with Eben-Emael, but what the hell.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"They didn't have a choice, talking to the guy for a few hours was beyond them."

Yeah because a guy who pulls a gun because of a game of chess is both stable and predictable and there could be no danger to anyone who walks into his place to talk with him. After all, who ever got hurt by some head case with a handgun. No one, right? Oh wait...

And of course the rest of your post is about as bigoted and ignorant as what we've come to expect from you.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"filesharing"

Can you give it a rest now please.

At no time in no place has a SWAT team been involved with any activity related to filesharing or copyright issues.

De minimis non curat lex.

Intellectual property issues are not a criminal matter.

1. Martin Budden Silver badge
        FAIL

Re: "filesharing"

At no time in no place has a SWAT team been involved with any activity related to filesharing or copyright issues.

Well, actually, there was this one time... clickety

4. Crazy Operations Guy

Repairing a robot is far cheaper than repairing a human being.

Plus this is Bellevue, the home of Bill Gates, Paul Allen, Jeff Bezos, Howard Shultz, and pretty much every other rich guy in the Seattle area; their police funding is through the roof.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

pics

or it didn't happen.

1. Graham Marsden
      Happy

Re: pics

ITYM Playmobil!

12. Alistair MacRae

Chess and brain power?

Not sure if chess is a battle of brain power.

I beat my girlfriend every time we play chess, however I have yet to win any argument.

I'd rather face the armed robot in that respect

13. Haku
    Coat

Did they program the robot cop to say

"Your move, creep"?

1. Tom 13

Re: Did they program the robot cop to say

No, but I think they managed:

"Come quietly or there will be ... trouble."

14. silent_count
    Terminator

Gary Kasperov. Consider yourself warned.

Deep Blue is baa-ack. He's been upgraded. And he's pissed! If he can't get you with dazzling mid-game play, he'll get you with flashbangs.

15. MrPatrick
    FAIL

so brave...

...that you let us comment on this one Lewis.

What a hero!

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

> mine host

what?

17. Allan George Dyer

They never expect the Sicilian Defence!

Has anyone else seen this cartoon, featuring a Mafiosi-looking winner, and a rather dead opponent?

18. Studley

Notation

Presumably:

24. Rc8+ AK47?

25. 0-1

No idea what the notation is for a flashbang

19. Black Rat
    Joke

Chess, more than just a game

I always thought it was an Internet legend that 'kohai' from Chess.com would reach through the screen and slap miscreants, now I'm not so sure.

20. Captain Scarlet Silver badge
    Go

Spat out tea

Read "celebratory round of doughnuts and battery charging took" at the wrong moment

21. Christopher Edwards
    Coat

I suggest a new tactic R2

Let the Wookie win...

22. C 18
    Joke

So let's see...

...this game got very REAL...

23. Kn x Q4

24. Draws gun

25. Summons Robo-cop

26. Black to 'move' (black's move because of the numbers, I'm not stereotyping because he's the one in prison, well I am typing with both hands, and all fingers, so I guess...oh...look here's the end of the parenthesis...phews!)

23. Tom_

I wonder what started the argument.

Maybe the host took ages to move instead of going to the fridge for more beers, causing his guest to remark, "Get us another beer, would ya? This one's gone stale, mate."

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like