back to article Google buys speech rec patents from SR Tech

A company established last year to negotiate royalties from patents filed by previously low-profile individuals from Cincinnati has vaulted into public eye courtesy of Google, which has bought rights to two of its patents. SR Tech Group LLC, which principal Stuart Goller told The Register was set up last year (we were unable …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Sampler

Or sue Apple

"Siri search for x"

They mention they only share the patent with other company (seemingly there own) so this patent isn't licensed to Apple who's technology clearly infringes on it.

Well, may be not to sue Apple but at least to be held in the warchest incase Apple try and sue them or their customers again?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Or sue Apple

I think Siri uses Nuance ASR, but that's the rub. ASR is hardly new. The US patent system just gets more ridiculous by the day.

2. g e
    WTF?

WTF?

Turn speech into text. Already done elsewhere.

Search for stuff based on text string. Pretty sure this has been done elsewhere *smirk*.

Joining the two together is somehow unobvious and patentable?

Peeling a banana. Eating. I shall now patent the process of peeling a banana and eating it.

1. Jamie Jones Silver badge

Re: WTF?

"g e" - Thanks for confirming what I thought... I was sure I was being stupid, and was blaming it on a lack of coffee...

So, to clarift, they were able to get this patent on this broad, obvious idea, without needing any actual algoritm or code to back it up?

1. g e
        Unhappy

Re: WTF?

Looks like it, for all the world, yeah! And Google paid for it, too.

Even as a contractor I still think I'm in the wrong bloody job sometimes, I need to learn how to milk snakes for oil.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like