Feeds

back to article OpenStack faces 'irrelevance and death' without AWS compatibility

Does the OpenStack cloud controller need to support the full set of APIs from Amazon Web Services and other public clouds? Randy Bias, the founder and CTO of OpenStack distie Cloudscaling thinks so.  This week, as OpenStack celebrates its third birthday, Bias issued a call to arms to the OpenStack community to do what rival open …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Bronze badge

doubt it?

I remember reading at one point AWS(shudder) compatibility was a core goal of ...Cloudstack? the thing Citrix has or had.. and one reason they didn't join forces with openstack was because of that.

If this person is so gung ho on those APIs go use that platform. It seems like openstack has a lot more momentum behind it than any other private /open source solution regardless of what APIs it supports. If there's demand for support, someone(s) will make it happen(whether or not it's distributed with the "main" open stack code set is unrelated). That's usually how it works in open source at least.

not that I care either way, the thought of someone wanting to replicate EC2 is pretty horrifying to me. It's such a bad design for most workloads.

Silver badge
Happy

Re: doubt it?

I'm sure someone will get around to the API's, but I think the point is he/they want to be the ones to do it. In order to keep potential clients from going to AWS, especially those who may be considering a move to the 'cloud' but haven't settled on a vendor yet. I don't think retention is the issue, it is capturing new users.

Anonymous Coward

The API wars are irrelevant.

Anybody sensible uses a higher level tool like Chef, with a plugin for whatever cloud you're deploying to - Application developers should simply not be working at the cloud API level, so it doesn't matter to them. The only people who need to care are those writing plugins.

Bronze badge

POSIX/Cloud ?

Randy Bias seems to be attacking the objective of making public and private clouds look similar and connect in a odd way. He should really be aiming for a cloud version of Posix (through the Open Group) and create public awareness for it so that Amazon, Google, Microsoft et al. are obliged to do the necessary work (and naturally all government clouds should use this suite of standard API's). I suspect that many companies will want their private/public cloud to be flexibly hosted and not restricted to running within an AWS or other emulated environment, because that is all the developers know.

Anonymous Coward

Ridiculous and completely self-serving

I suspect this is about Bias creating noise to prop up his own company's cloud offering.

This topic is closed for new posts.